Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Midwest got nailed with snow.

Lets here all the AWD stories.

I will say I love my 07 Fusion AWD. The Detroit area didn't get 20" like Chicago did... But we did have some good snow drifts this morning on the freeway ramps.
My AWD in my personal opinion did better than my old 2001 Cherokee XJ did. Just didn't have the ground clearence. I was impressed. There were a few spots that I hit that the back end would have kicked out on the jeep, but not the fusion. You could feel it pull it right back into line.

Oh yeah. My Conti DWS tires were phenomenal in the snow. Highly recommend these tires.
so let's here those Blizzard 2011 stories.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We got some good snow here in ontario. I live in an open area so there was lots of snow to mess around with. I was out at 3am messing around and this morning we had like 10 - 15 cm of snow, ground clearance was the only problem but damn that thing handles well.. its fun when you're at a red light and see everyone else braking going right over the line..

I too have continental extreme winter contact tires and they're really good never had a problem yet (knock on wood).. i had to turn traction control off near my house to make it a bit fun but the moment its on theres no way you'll be thrown off the road.. good stuff

·
Registered
34 Posts
[quote author=fus10 link=topic=185740.msg3923395#msg3923395 date=1296686060]
The Midwest got nailed with snow.

Lets here all the AWD stories.

I will say I love my 07 Fusion AWD. The Detroit area didn't get 20" like Chicago did... But we did have some good snow drifts this morning on the freeway ramps.
My AWD in my personal opinion did better than my old 2001 Cherokee XJ did. Just didn't have the ground clearence. I was impressed. There were a few spots that I hit that the back end would have kicked out on the jeep, but not the fusion. You could feel it pull it right back into line.

Oh yeah. My Conti DWS tires were phenomenal in the snow. Highly recommend these tires.
so let's here those Blizzard 2011 stories.
[/quote]

I can mirror these comments. I live in Northwest Indiana so we picked up just as much snow as Chicago did during the blizzard. My 2008 Fusion AWD got me from point A to point B without any issues or close calls. It felt pretty good to be the only car out driving around when everything else had a plow on the front of it. I had a set of Conti DWS put on roughly 2 weeks ago and I got my money's worth out of them during this storm. The only issue was the ground clearance but if I wanted better clearance I would have bought an SUV.

On a side note, did anyone else see this accident from the blizzard involving a Fusion?

http://jalopnik.com/#!5749875/how-in-snowhell-could-you-crash-a-car-like-this

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a fwd Fusion and I just about got it stuck. I live in Central Illinois and we got hammered pretty good with snow. Luckily my wife has an AWD Five Hundred and it gets around like it's nothing! It's times like these that I wish my Fusion was AWD, but I have to give props to the Five Hundred. If the Fusions get around as good as it does, then that is awesome.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow.I can say I have never seen a spin out/wreck like that before. Look at the underneath. What is that metal shield? I don't have any shield underneath like that. Maybe AWD cars are different for the axle and rear diff.

·
Registered
933 Posts
We received 12" here in KC (where I'm at). The MKZ did great -- even with the crappy 18" GY RSAs. I really want better tires, but the car is new:(. I really miss the days of tire trade-ins.

Added some pics:

Driving home from work during blizzard. I work for the government. This is the first time our building has been closed (due to weather) in about 15 years.

Outside our front door:

Poor MKZ -- covered in snow/dirt/salt

Poor Kosmo! The snow eventually got as deep (or deeper) than him. I had to shovel a path in our backyard -- all the way to the back fence -- so he'd drop his duece in his normal spot (he held it for 18 hrs).

·
Registered
933 Posts
^Thanks! I had no idea they still did -- due to liability. It's been about 10 years since I've traded new take-offs. Mine only have 1600 mi on them. Even if they give me $40/ea I'd be happy. Did Ford really need to put the oldest GY passenger tire on a $40K+ vehicle? I had the same RSA OEM on my '97 Talon -- back when the tire was farely new.

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Dec. 24th we got about 30" and it crippled the whole area. My explorer was all that I could drive. The milan wouldn't have moved 2 feet in this crap.

·
Registered
933 Posts
^ Yeah -- we don't get snow like you (I grew up in ND, and lived in WI for 4 years). We have received significant snow in KC for the last 2 years, but nothing like WI or ND. 8 or more inches per 1 storm is a lot for us. The snow had started to melt in the garage prior to me snapping the pic. My garage very rarely dips below freezing -- maybe once/yr.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My '00 Explorer with michelin M/S tires loved it here in madision with 18 inches. Work was cancelled but I drove to costco just because I knew only 5 other people would be there and for some reason costco never calls a snow day. My Fusion sport was quite cozy in the heated underground parking.

On a more serious note, my parents are in the market for a new vehicle. My dad has a 4X4 pickup but my mom wants to get rid of her S10 crew cab 4x4 (total POS incidently). Ma actually spends time negotiating logging roads with mild/moderate sized ruts with hills so she wants a 4wd/awd vehicle. I'm failry convinced that awd is worthless in sloppy mud/loose gravel/sand except for adjustable units like in the new explorer/subaru/mitsu. I feel they are made worthless because they are almost always coupled with brake driven traction control which puts the ka bash on tire spin so you can't chew through mud. Has anyone had favorable experience with "fixed" AWD systems in these types on conditions? And if so, whay vehicle would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Funny story actually,

I went to a winter driving training seminar the day we'd had a major dumping in the area (I didn't even leave the house until the scheduled start time of the event because of the near white out conditions) so I arrived late but made it.

However I did find out that even with AWD, once you lower the car and add a body kit, one misstep and you're toast, as I ended up going off the driving track into the snow at the side of the track. In my case the car's Traction Control actually made things worse because once the car lost traction, the power was gone and I came to a dead stop. The instructor in the car with me actually made things worse by digging me in even better :lol:

Twelve guys, one shovel and one lost floormat later (lost when we used my rubber floormats for traction and one went flying) the car was extricated, but at least I wasn't the only AWD car that got stuck as a Subaru managed to fly into the soft stuff :p

NefCanuck

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My '07 SEL V6 was actually pretty bad in the snow. The traction control was always freaking out. Probably because I wore the tires down smooth very quickly, lol.

The '94 2WD Jeep I bought for $950 as a winter ride is miserable in the snow. But it's not as bad as the Mustang. Pirelli summer performance tires + any amount of snow = epic fail. Lol. I drove it to work and there was maybe half an inch of snow on the ground. The parking lot isn't perfectly even and I was trying to get into a parking space that was at like a 5 degree incline; I was in 5th gear going 60mph, not moving whatsoever, lmao. Fail. Had to kick it in reverse and find another spot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts