Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have these? I just bought a pair because I think this car has a pretty deep blind spot. Anybody know the best place to position them for optimal viewing pleasure? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I always stick 'em on the lower left-hand corner (drivers side) and lower right-hand corner (passenger side). I prefer not to drive a car that doesn't have them because cars disappear out of the rearview yet are not in range of the side mirrors. I have 'em on both of the vehicles I drive, and actually on the F150, I have another wide-angle mirror stuck on the rearview so now the blind spots are almost zero. :)

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Yeah lower left and lower right hand corners, you just have to angle them for best viewing before you stick them on. Mine were round and blue tinted.

Before I installed my speedline mirrors, I had these.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person to think this. I have a HB and have adjusted the heck out of mirrors but still seem to have a huge blind spot. I have grown tired of having to strain my neck when changing lanes. I think having to put the extra mirrors on a small car seems riduculous but after a couple of near misses I am going to add these.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Are you guys adjusting your mirrors properly? I didn't notice any significant blind spot with the stock mirrors, provided I had them pushed out so I couldn't really see the side of my car (just barely a sliver of it). That said, I highly recommend the Speedline wide-angle anti-glare mirrors. The anti-glare coating really works, and they completely get rid of any potential blind spot... they even give you a squished glimpse of what's going on two lanes over :)

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
^ i have to agree, although i do have a wider jdm rvm.
i guess everyone doesn't necessarily like to drive with the mirrors "properly" adjusted...as the car leaves the rvm , it should start appearing in the side mirror, if you are in a good driving position.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=136166.msg2935675#msg2935675 date=1234575272]
Are you guys adjusting your mirrors properly? I didn't notice any significant blind spot with the stock mirrors, provided I had them pushed out so I couldn't really see the side of my car (just barely a sliver of it). That said, I highly recommend the Speedline wide-angle anti-glare mirrors. The anti-glare coating really works, and they completely get rid of any potential blind spot... they even give you a squished glimpse of what's going on two lanes over :)
[/quote]

agree 100%

1) why do you need to see where your car has been? they are called SIDE VIEW mirrors for a reason.

2) i love my speedline wide-angle blue-tinted mirrors. amazing.

:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
[quote author=bms1990M3 link=topic=136166.msg2936154#msg2936154 date=1234591765]
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=136166.msg2935675#msg2935675 date=1234575272]
[/quote]

agree 100%

1) why do you need to see where your car has been? they are called SIDE VIEW mirrors for a reason.

2) i love my speedline wide-angle blue-tinted mirrors. amazing.

:)
[/quote]

+1 to all of the above - Speedline mirrors are great for helping out the view and cutting down the glare from another butthead in an SUV behind you. My mirrors are properly adjusted before and after my SLM install and never had any blindspot issues with either set. HOWEVER, the wide angle of the SLM makes me feel much warmer and fuzzier in traffic with seeing what is going on around me. Buy some and wire 'em up for so they can have a warm feeling too! LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your mirrors are adjusted almost all the way out to cover the blind spots, how do you accurately judge the speed of the faster traffic in the adjacent lanes using just your review mirror?

Keep in mind I'm saying this based on the fact that either a, the car behind you is not following 3-4 seconds, or has improperly aimed headlights, or is a large vehicle. Do most of you just wing it and hope for the best that someone traveling 20-30 mph faster doesn't rear end you?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=oil2 link=topic=136166.msg2945673#msg2945673 date=1234995345]
If your mirrors are adjusted almost all the way out to cover the blind spots, how do you accurately judge the speed of the faster traffic in the adjacent lanes using just your review mirror?

Keep in mind I'm saying this based on the fact that either a, the car behind you is not following 3-4 seconds, or has improperly aimed headlights, or is a large vehicle. Do most of you just wing it and hope for the best that someone traveling 20-30 mph faster doesn't rear end you?
[/quote]

If you can see a car catching up to you in your sideview, it's probably not a good time to change lanes. They should still be visible in your rearview if there's enough room for you to safely move over, right? If someone is traveling noticeably faster than you are, you will definitely notice them in your rearview mirror well before they get to your sideview, much less into your blindspot, so that's not an issue at all.

The sideview mirrors, in my opinion, are not meant to be used for judging the speed of someone coming up and about to pass you. They are there to make sure there's no one chillin' in the lane next to you going about the same speed as you when you change lanes, or two lanes over and trying to move into the same position as you're moving into.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=136166.msg2945819#msg2945819 date=1234998656]
[quote author=oil2 link=topic=136166.msg2945673#msg2945673 date=1234995345]

[/quote]

If you can see a car catching up to you in your sideview, it's probably not a good time to change lanes. They should still be visible in your rearview if there's enough room for you to safely move over, right? If someone is traveling noticeably faster than you are, you will definitely notice them in your rearview mirror well before they get to your sideview, much less into your blindspot, so that's not an issue at all.

The sideview mirrors, in my opinion, are not meant to be used for judging the speed of someone coming up and about to pass you. They are there to make sure there's no one chillin' in the lane next to you going about the same speed as you when you change lanes, or two lanes over and trying to move into the same position as you're moving into.
[/quote]

That's the thing... You can't see any cars approaching from behind you using your side mirrors because they are adjusted so far out and do not cover the rear left portion of the road behind you. And you can't see far enough back in your rear view mirror due to a car following too closely, headlights too high, etc, etc what do you do? Many times I've been cutoff by slower moving traffic trying to get in the left lane, and I believe this is why. As simple as it sounds, I really doubt most people adjusting their mirrors "on the fly" to compensate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts