Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this forum...

got a question hoping someone can help me...i got a 05 mazda 3i and it only came w/ one set of key...last night i realize i should get at least a second key so i went online n look around and found this on ebay...i was wondering if anybody has made this key work with the 3? it sure dont look like the one i have but the description does say it works...anybody can help me out?? Thanks in advance!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2004-2005-2006-2007-Mazda-3-6-RX8-Key-Chip_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40016QQihZ010QQitemZ200072234289QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Doesn't look like an OEM Mazda key to me, probably a knockoff. The key portion may work, but I'd be surprised if the transponder chip did. I'd just go to a Mazda dealer and have another key cut; they're not very expensive. Only problem is that you'd have to have them program it for you, since you need two keys to program a new one (you can't program a new one yourself if you only have 1 key).

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go with the ebay knockoff as you don't know for sure that the chip is compatible with the 3. A brand new OEM transponder key cut to your car and shipped to your door is only $18 from onlinemazdaparts.com. Click the flip key thread link in my sig. for more info. Like the good Dr. said though you'll have to take it to the dealer anyway to get them to program it for you since you have to have at least two keys to program them yourself.

I'd check with the dealer to see how much they'll do the key for you (cut/programmed) and see if they'll beat bagman1's price. Then ask them how much for the programming. Realistically it should only take them about five minutes to do it, so if they're nice guys they may to it for free.... don't count on it though. ;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
They usually will rape you on both ends (price of key and programming). If I were you here is what I would do. Order TWO extra keys from onlinemazdaparts.com. They are about eighteen bucks each and Jason will cut them to fit your car if you supply him with your VIN. Your dealer will have to program at least one of them to your car. Ask them how much they charge to do one of them. They will have to hook your car up to a computer to do it and they usually try to charge about seventy-five bucks or so. Then ask them to program your second key as long as they are doing it (I would demand that the second key be done for free). When you are done, you will have three keys that work for your car. Put one of them in a desk or dresser drawer for safe keeping.

Here is why I suggest this. If you have at two or more keys that work on your car (cut and programmed correctly) you can use those keys to progam an extra yourself at any time. There are guides on the forum that explain how to do it and it is easy. BUT, if you only have one key, the dealer has to hook your car up to a computer to program it. If you only order one key this time, you will be back to only having two keys and if you ever mis-place one, you will have to go through the whole long, expensive process of taking it back to the dealer again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow 8 keys...never have to afraid loosing one :shock:...Thanks for all the tips guys, i think that would be alot better then what i had in mind originally. Whos Jason by the way? Can i just go to homedepot or a locksmith to cut the key? The price of the key is now 19.24...just for the update~

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
^^^ No problem, happy to help out. Jason (a.k.a. bagman1) is the guy that runs www.onlinemazdaparts.com and works in the parts department of Montgomery Mazda in Charlotte, NC. He's a really great guy and is super helpful. If you buy a key (flip or regular) from him and provide him your VIN or key code then he'll cut the key to your car's locks/ignition free of charge (as long as your information matches what's in the Mazda database). You can take it anywhere to have it cut, but why bother if you can have it done for free?

Is the $19.24 the cost your dealer told you, or is that from somewhere else?

·
Registered
410 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=67914.msg1170623#msg1170623 date=1169844786]
^^^ retrax, isn't that pretty much what I said? :p :hide: :lol:

Anyway there are links to key/remote programming threads in the flip key thread linked in my sig. Also you can have up to 8 keys, and 3 remotes.
[/quote]

Ummm, NO. My point was for him to have at least three keys. :hide: :p

·
Registered
410 Posts
Three keys as a failsafe to losing one. If he just orders one this time and loses one in the future, he will be right back to sqaure one. Might as well get two extras now for a total of three keys and hopefully not be in this position again. When I first bought my car, my dealer told me to get a third key right away and put it in a place for safe keeping so the car wouldn't have to be hooked up to the computer if I ever lost one of the original two keys that came with the car :blue:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=icspots link=topic=67914.msg1171105#msg1171105 date=1169861907]
^^^ No problem, happy to help out. Jason (a.k.a. bagman1) is the guy that runs www.onlinemazdaparts.com and works in the parts department of Montgomery Mazda in Charlotte, NC. He's a really great guy and is super helpful. If you buy a key (flip or regular) from him and provide him your VIN or key code then he'll cut the key to your car's locks/ignition free of charge (as long as your information matches what's in the Mazda database). You can take it anywhere to have it cut, but why bother if you can have it done for free?

Is the $19.24 the cost your dealer told you, or is that from somewhere else?
[/quote]

i found that price on onlinemazdaparts.com. unless im looking at it wrong...i believe when i check out it was at 19.24...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts