Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I apologize if this is covered elsewhere and I didn't see it.

I want to make the emblem in the center of my steering wheel black--I'm tired of the glare I get off it, and it would look much cooler. I'm sure this can't be too hard, but I have no experience with something like this. Has anybody ever done it? It it just held on by double sided tape? And what would the steps be to take? Sand it, prime it, spray paint it?

Better yet, anybody know if there's black steering wheel emblems sold anywhere that I could just replace it with?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Edit: Ok, after a quick search it's sounding like this emblem doesn't come off that easily. Anybody think it's feasible that I could just sand it and paint it while it's still attached, if I had like a weekend I could set aside for it? Like sand it down as best I can, tape off everything else around it, prime it, and spray paint it? Stupid idea? I seriously want to do something to it, the glare annoys the crap out of me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I remember a thread about this not too long ago and the guy really effed up his whole steering wheel. He then bondo'd it and painted and primered and it came out pretty decent. Lots of work though. I'll see if I can dig up that thread.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I read some of that thread before. That's obviously way more work than I'm looking for though, and a lot of that was just him fixing his own botches. I'm still wondering if it would be possible to do all the work without removing the emblem--just sand/prime/paint it in the car. Anybody think that's feasible?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
you have to take the steering wheel cover off to do it. take it off and see...

·
Registered
192 Posts
[quote author=Chaos link=topic=138943.msg2994774#msg2994774 date=1237080878]
Yeah, I read some of that thread before. That's obviously way more work than I'm looking for though, and a lot of that was just him fixing his own botches. I'm still wondering if it would be possible to do all the work without removing the emblem--just sand/prime/paint it in the car. Anybody think that's feasible?
[/quote]

*if you want to take out ur emblem its totally doable and i found the *right* way to take it out.. (assuming the airbag can be unclipped from the plastic which i know it can) all you have to do is undo the airbag and unclip it from the plastic, the emblem is right there all it is 6 pegs that have been melted so u cant pull them out nicely all you have to do is either cut them so they can fit though the holes or just melt them so they can fit though, than its out, do what u need to do with it and put it back it (prolly better to just put a lil glue around the pegs so it sits back it and wont fall out or re melt the pegs so they wont fall out.)

source: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=136143.msg2947823#msg2947823

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=138943.msg2996231#msg2996231 date=1237164535]
Use some black craft paint, problem solved.
[/quote]

I'm 1/2 tempted to do that, in all honestly. I'm suuuuper light sensitive and even with my dark windows I sometimes have to cover the emblem in tape because it refelcts so much light... and here comes summer! :(

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Only way to PROPERLY do it is

1-unplug batt
2-remove center part of sterring wheel
3-(i dont know if this is possible, i assume it is tho) Remove airbag frmo plastic
4- remove emblem(the back of ur emblem is to thick/wide for the holes they are stuck in so ull have to cut or melt the back so its narrow enough to come out.)
5- paint
6- put back together

Ill post pics in my thread that was link to above later on, mines not 100% done i did this in the winter so paint drying time/ days that i was not too cold to be outside/ snow/rain/ice all thoes made it take much longer than needed to. (also i scratched and ripped mine out thinkign it was just glued in ) so i had to re do my whole thing.

this summer when i got time im going to re do it all smooth but as it is now it looks nice in the car, everyone that has been in the car (at night, so they couldnt see the surface was not 100% smooth) said they liked it and it made it look much bettter, even the people that saw it in the light said they liked it and was looking forward to seeing it when it was 100% done/smooth)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=kateleestar link=topic=138943.msg2997509#msg2997509 date=1237226385]
[/quote]

I'm 1/2 tempted to do that, in all honestly. I'm suuuuper light sensitive and even with my dark windows I sometimes have to cover the emblem in tape because it refelcts so much light... and here comes summer! :(
[/quote]

Same here. It's kind of a stupid design, really. I have 20% tint on all my windows and the glare I get off the emblem still bothers me. Seems like a safety hazard, honestly.

I might look into the craft paint idea. A little nervous about that, because I don't want it to end up looking cheap (drippy or cracked/chipped after awhile), and then not be able to undo it without F'ing up the emblem itself. But I also don't want to take apart the whole steering wheel and mess with the airbag system.

If I do do it, I'll post pics and stuff, but it might be a little while before I get around to it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

incase u havent seen my updated thread,

its super hard to do...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spike -

That looks awesome, exactly how I'm wanting to do mine.

What kind of spray paint did you use? And did you just spray it straight on, or did you sand/prime it first before spraying? And how did you avoid having it drip/run?

·
Registered
97 Posts
wow the red one looks really nice, was it hard?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
[quote author=Chaos link=topic=138943.msg2998940#msg2998940 date=1237264682]
Spike -

That looks awesome, exactly how I'm wanting to do mine.

What kind of spray paint did you use? And did you just spray it straight on, or did you sand/prime it first before spraying? And how did you avoid having it drip/run?
[/quote]

I used night shade the first time and it looked SUPER good, real high gloss, but i sprayed to much and it ran.  I sanded the night shade off all the way down to the plastic and resprayed with Krylon Fusion Black then Krylon Clear Coat over. 
How i got such an awesome tape job is that i taped it all off and ran my finger nail down the lines then just cut them with a razor, perfect. 
Oh and make sure you use A LOT of newspaper to cover everything

Thanks jplus and chaos
:)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info spike. I will definitely give this a shot, and post pics when I'm done.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
[quote author=Chaos link=topic=138943.msg2998516#msg2998516 date=1237251400]
[quote author=kateleestar link=topic=138943.msg2997509#msg2997509 date=1237226385]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Same here. It's kind of a stupid design, really. I have 20% tint on all my windows and the glare I get off the emblem still bothers me. Seems like a safety hazard, honestly.

I might look into the craft paint idea. A little nervous about that, because I don't want it to end up looking cheap (drippy or cracked/chipped after awhile), and then not be able to undo it without F'ing up the emblem itself. But I also don't want to take apart the whole steering wheel and mess with the airbag system.

If I do do it, I'll post pics and stuff, but it might be a little while before I get around to it.
[/quote]

Yeah, I have 20% too. Its awful. I'm gonna try to paint it the gloss black, to maybe match the piano trim I have.. I just have to make it less... glaring.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I did it this weekend, and here's the "How To" I just typed up on it, with pics:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=140366.0

Overall I'm happy with it, even though I did slightly botch it in a couple ways. It's a little rough around the edges but not bad. For my first mod of any kind, ever (on any car), and with no real example to go by, I'm relatively pleased. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spike, I don't know how the heck you got yours so clean, but kudos on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts