Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up at Smail Mazda just this evening, and have put 8.8 miles on it so far getting it home. I traded my APR'd 02 GTI on this scoot as it's more GTI than my GTI was. If that makes any sense.

Of course it's supposed to snow tonight, now that I've got a new ride with summer tires. Time to find some winter treads....

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Good call. I have parents in PA, and I have the same car you do. Sweet. You'll enjoy it. I remember there being a lot of curvy roads.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, plenty of windy roads here. I'm in the mtns of SW Pa, the "Laurel Highlands" according to those that promote such things, and the driving oppurtunities are very good. West Virginia is better however, all that Sen. Byrd pork money gives em smooth as glass roads and they have alot fewer people to get in your way.....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Congrats!! A fellow Western PA'er with an MS3!! I got mine from Billco about 3 months ago. Sport or GT? Enjoy it, and definitely get some snows.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kokemon23,
Mine's a "Sport". They had a GT but I wasn't in love with the Cosmic Blue so the swapped it with a dealer in Baltimore to get me the Black sport.

Yeah, tires besides stock seem mandatory. What was your choice?

·
Registered
329 Posts
[quote author=tuckaloe link=topic=68268.msg1178683#msg1178683 date=1170259811]
kokemon23,
Mine's a "Sport". They had a GT but I wasn't in love with the Cosmic Blue so the swapped it with a dealer in Baltimore to get me the Black sport.

[/quote]

I went with Blizzaks from TireRack, put them on my stock rims, and I'm going to use the stock tires on some aftermarket wheels for the summer :D.

Also, if you haven't already, check out the Mazdaspeed section on here, tons of great info.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=kokemon23 link=topic=68268.msg1180603#msg1180603 date=1170341396]
[quote author=tuckaloe link=topic=68268.msg1178683#msg1178683 date=1170259811]
kokemon23,

[/quote]

I went with Blizzaks from TireRack, put them on my stock rims, and I'm going to use the stock tires on some aftermarket wheels for the summer :D.

Also, if you haven't already, check out the Mazdaspeed section on here, tons of great info.
[/quote]

+1 to that. I haven't met this many dedicated turbo junkies since my DSM days. Good times.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dedicated turbo junkies? Damnedglad to meet ya :lol:

On the wheel issue, I ended up buying a set of lightweight 17"s with some "ultra high performance all season" :?(oxymoronic) Falken Ziex Ze512s in 215/50/17. This ought to be survivable for winter driving, at least according to reports, and the combo now weights 9.6 pounds less per corner, which is a the big benefit...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
[quote author=tuckaloe link=topic=68268.msg1178073#msg1178073 date=1170213520]
Picked it up at Smail Mazda just this evening, and have put 8.8 miles on it so far getting it home. I traded my APR'd 02 GTI on this scoot as it's more GTI than my GTI was. If that makes any sense.

Of course it's supposed to snow tonight, now that I've got a new ride with summer tires. Time to find some winter treads....

[/quote]

NICE!! So what was your first impression when you drove the MS 3 after the VW? Mine has 100 mles BTW. Love it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, if you must know....the VW was "peakier" in the torque range. At least with the 245 lb ft that APR claimed it was giving the 1.8t. The MS3 seems alot more.........everywhere. And factory vs factory handling, the VW doesn't have a dog in this fight. No way no how. Night and day.

I purposely did NOT drive the Mk5 GTI. I'm sure it's a FANTASTIC car, but just didn't want to be tempted by something with 63 fewer hp and 72 fewer lb ft of torque. And when you consider what the aftermarket will bring to each vehicle..........I'm pretty happy to be driving Japanese for the first time in my 39 yrs.......

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Man, Mazda should use you for marketing the way Subway uses that guy Jared! Thanks for the info. Just what I was curious about.

I have always loved VW's styling, but the various electrical nightmares I experienced while owning a couple kept we away from them as they developed the marque in recent years.

In process of going over mine with a fine toothed comb. I find myself amazed at how incredible a deal this car is at 22850. I have had way pricier vehicles that were not as together.

It seems that in the years the MZ 3 has been around that Mazda has been reading this forum. My 07 MS3 is such a better car than my 06 MZ 3 and I LOVED my 06. 5k difference in sticker. Amazing what you get. I am assuming everyone else has a tight, bug free build of course.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Not perfect, but a damn sight better than my 05.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Congrats. Should be some nice roads to take your MS3 out on in the area. I used to date a girl who's family was from Greesburg - visited a couple of times. Some of them are still there. And to give you an idea of how long ago it was, it was a real girl. :shock:

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
[quote author=Sealy link=topic=68268.msg1186540#msg1186540 date=1170627974]
Congrats. Should be some nice roads to take your MS3 out on in the area. I used to date a girl who's family was from Greesburg - visited a couple of times. Some of them are still there. And to give you an idea of how long ago it was, it was a real girl. :shock:
[/quote]
I doubt it was a real girl :lol:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I'm sure it was. You know how them girls are.....

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=reivaj link=topic=68268.msg1186562#msg1186562 date=1170628654]
I doubt it was a real girl :lol:
[/quote]

He's Back! And, yes it was. I was 16 and confused - it was pre-Stonewall.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Do tell me about Stonewall. This sounds like an ABC movie of the week starring Kirk Cameron.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=68268.msg1186846#msg1186846 date=1170638614]
Do tell me about Stonewall.
[/quote]

You serious? The Stonewall Inn was a gay bar in NY that the police would raid on a regular basis. On the night of June 28, 1969 they raided and, instead of the usual taking everyone away in the wagons, the drag queens fought back and a riot ensued. The Stonewall Riot marks the begining of the fight for gay civil rights. Things ain't been the same since. :goodjob:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=Sealy link=topic=68268.msg1186954#msg1186954 date=1170643685]
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=68268.msg1186846#msg1186846 date=1170638614]
Do tell me about Stonewall.
[/quote]

You serious? The Stonewall Inn was a gay bar in NY that the police would raid on a regular basis. On the night of June 28, 1969 they raided and, instead of the usual taking everyone away in the wagons, the drag queens fought back and a riot ensued. The Stonewall Riot marks the begining of the fight for gay civil rights. Things ain't been the same since. :goodjob:
[/quote]

Cool story. I think i'd like to see a bunch of queens riot. Imagine the sequins and feathers!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts