Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes a durable black lugnut to fit stock Mazda rims? I want to change up my look a little bit.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
muteki is a very well known company. Mcguards and gorilla lug nuts are also good. Price for all are a bt steep but the quality pays off

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
What is our lug nut pattern?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I've heard anecdotes about Muteki spline drive adapters breaking during normal use, but I've heard the same stories about Gorillas as well. If you go with any of the tuner style spline drive lugs you may have a small "ring" visible around the seating surface where the OEM lugs scuffed the finish as well. I don't know quite how to describe it, but since the small-diameter lugs are smaller than the OEMs there's more area visible than before.

For what it's worth, it seems like McGard makes the OEM lug nuts and they make a black non-tuner lug. If you're just going for the black lug look they may be your best bet. They're not lightweight lugs, but I'd consider them a lot more durable.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are the gorillas pretty resistant to fading and chipping? And will I have to buy a different size socket to install and remove them - different size than that supplied with the car?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
mine have no chips. If you look at the link i posted, they show a picture of the socket that comes, it fits into the car's factory wrench

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. I will probably go with these then. And since they are tuner nuts, the should fit aftermarket rims too if I eventually go that route. Obviously, I wouldn't put them on really nice rims like Advans or anything but maybe some Rotas. What do you think? Maybe also make the flying Ms black and black out my other badges?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
any with the gorillas be interested in measuring the width of the "fatest" part of the lug nut ... im having problems finding lugs that fit my rims... they have a narrow opening !

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
[quote author=Naibukizuato83 link=topic=139381.msg3006728#msg3006728 date=1237570228]
any with the gorillas be interested in measuring the width of the "fatest" part of the lug nut ... im having problems finding lugs that fit my rims... they have a narrow opening !
[/quote]
How narrow is your wheel opening?
You may need to get some that have an internal spline drive. If you've got 1'' diameter, rays lugs will fit, and a stanley proto thin wall deep impact socket will fit if you have any clearance on the 1''

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Just make sure no one uses an impact gun ;)

Also, internal-spline or keyed lugnuts suck asshole because you have to use the little nylon plugs (if they even come with them,) to keep them from rusting. Just make sure you go with external-spline lock nuts.

I like McGards.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
i have had the gorillas for the past year and they've held up great

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gonna pull the trigger on the Gorillas. Hope they fit the bill for now.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my black nuts today from Summit - they're the Gorillas. Some of them are a bit nicked up. Maybe I should give them a call. I'm guessing they just grab them from a big bin and throw them in a plastic baggie throw in the instructions, key code sticker, and staple it shut. I also thought they'd be glossier like in the picture.

Can lug nuts be clear coated with like engine enamel to protect them and produce a better shine?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts