Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from test driving a Black Mica Hatchback Mazda 3.

It had the following options:
- Sport A/T
- Moonroof/6CD
- ABS/SAB/SAC
- 17" wheels and they did have the mazda logo in the center

Interior Impression:
It looked great, better than the titanium gray I saw yesterday. The dealer told me they just got it 2 hours ago (different dealer from yesterday), they got this Black HB, and a silver sedan. The Sedan looked good also, but not as sporty as the HB, I will say this tho, enven though the trunk on the sedan looks really short, it's actually pretty deep....

Back to the HB. roomy interior, I'm 6" and I got in and out of the back seat preaty easy, decent leg room for a compact. Absolutely no cheap-car DNA detectable, the glove box is hughe, cup holders for all 4 passangers, the floor mats were black with the mazda3 logo embroidered in silver.

Driving Experience:
First thing I noticed, it had 3 miles on it, so I was the first customer to try it out :D. The automatic transmission really smooth, really good acceleration (much better than the mz6 with the i4 and the Sport A/T), no lag to upshift, verry little lag to downshift, not nearly enough to bother me.

When in manual mode, it reved up quickly, verry easy to drive. Didn't get a chance to get in many twisties, but in the few I got, I did accelerate through the curve and the car felt great, those 205/50/17 Goodyear RSA's felt really good, not to mention the suspesion, didn't feel any body roll, the suspension was taut but not harsh.

Don't know about the wind noise because I had the stereo pretty loud, with no distortion. I'm no audiophile so you might not agree with me, but I'm not planning on spending money to change out the stock head unit.

On Saturday I'm still going to test drive the titanium gray HB with the manual tranny that I saw yesterday... just to compare the two, but I'm pretty much sold on the SportAT.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't pay for a regular AT, but this tranny gives me the best of both worlds... control and the ability to rev the car up when I feel like driving agresively, and the comfort of an AT when I'm in boring trafic in the daily comute.

Plus, the wiffe doesn't drive manual trannies

·
Registered
509 Posts
Itest drove a MZ3sportGS (canada) manuel tranny, 16''wheels. It's like butters says. I also notice the kietness of the motor plus the nice revv sound when you hit the gas! I'm verry happy, cause I bought the car before even trying it. I'll get my MZ3sportgt winning blue manual, sunroof and air next week. Can't wait!

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
dinu01 said:
If you can drive stick, why would you pay $$$ for the AT?
Traffic. :cry: I love driving a manual transmission, but traffic sucks-my leg doesn't hold up. :(

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Felicitations Gib!

I usually don't drive too much in traffic so I don't have that issue. If the clutch is not too hard, it should be ok.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking of the clutch, if they put it as close to the break as they did in the 6, that's a big reason for me not to have the manual.

I found it quite uncomfortable on the 6, and it's not that I have big feet (only size 11), but I don't want to drive with my knees closed... that's to girly hehehe

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Butters said:
Speaking of the clutch, if they put it as close to the break as they did in the 6, that's a big reason for me not to have the manual.

I found it quite uncomfortable on the 6, and it's not that I have big feet (only size 11), but I don't want to drive with my knees closed... that's to girly hehehe
Well, I'm a girl so it doesn't bother me. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guya aint gonna believe this!!!

Today while changing the rims on my 2003 Protege GT, i found the Mazda3 being washed and going to the showroom...i was the first to drive it in Nova Scotia. Titanium Grey with AT thou...but it drives great! it has the same rear suspension as the mazda6. 25min later i was working out numbers with the dealership...and i can officially say that i am a proud owner of a Mazda3 GT...couldn't get leather nor MT but i really dont care!!

Gonna miss the Protege...[/quote]

·
Registered
396 Posts
congratulations protege!
did you purchase the car you test drove?
if not, then what color? gfx package??

·
Registered
509 Posts
Concerning the pedals, I didn't find them to close. It was so easy to drive the manual. IMO it's just perfect!

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Re: You guya aint gonna believe this!!!

protege said:
Today while changing the rims on my 2003 Protege GT, i found the Mazda3 being washed and going to the showroom...i was the first to drive it in Nova Scotia. Titanium Grey with AT thou...but it drives great! it has the same rear suspension as the mazda6. 25min later i was working out numbers with the dealership...and i can officially say that i am a proud owner of a Mazda3 GT...couldn't get leather nor MT but i really dont care!!

Gonna miss the Protege...
Congrats! I believe you are the first on the board to own one-tell us more, and please take some pics!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Re: You guya aint gonna believe this!!!

protege said:

Gonna miss the Protege...
[/quote]

Lucky. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts