Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off my moldings, smoked my reflectors,side indicators and made the trip to home depot for the 12 buck lip.I had some spray tint left over and sprayed my 2.3 looks just like black chrome.I plan on spraying the other emblems I just ran out of paint. I moved it around a couple of places,I kinda like it under the headlight,so let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
I like the color.. its a new idea location wise but im not a fan... do what YOU wanna do though

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just used hobby paint, black transparent spray for windows,just two light coats. Thanks, I don`t know if I will keep it or not,was just bored.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Hmm, I was thinking about trying that before as well. I have some Niteshades (I'll never use it again on lights) leftover, maybe I'll give it a shot. Can always sand and repaint at a later date.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I did the same thing to my front M a few years ago - looked effing awesome for about two weeks. The problem is that paint cannot stick to chrome properly, so after a while it started flaking off.

If you rub it with your finger, the paint will come right off. If you want the black chrome look you need to remove the plating and use chrome paint. The problem with that is most chrome paint is crap - barely shinier than plain silver paint. Alsacorp makes great chrome paint, but its expensive and a bit of a pain to setup.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
looks great, keep us updated.

you might want to shoot some clear over it as well, but it probably won't stop it from flaking off, as york stated :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's what I was afraid of.
What if you lightly sanded the chrome to the point where it would grab some of the paint but would also leave most of the luster.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can use paint adhesive promoter two light coats and two light coats of transparent black. Really light and put a couple coats of clear. Ive had no problems so far. If you mess up just use ascitone and it comes right off,no damage at all.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you sand the chrome a little, you can tell it's getting dull.

I tried a model car hobby paint for the black chrome look, and my friend did it on his IS. For me, it started to chip off.

Best way to do it, and to avoid major chipping though it's inevitable, is to spray a couple layers on, let it dry, then throw on a ton of layers of clear coat. My friend did it to his emblems and they're on the back and it's still okay. The front grille however is starting to chip, revealing chrome.

So if you want to do the black-chrome look, try to avoid placing the emblems on the front of the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts