Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought a M3 and I love it.

I am used to a street truck with a LS differential / RWD.

I have driven standards / FWD for years.

I need to know if there is something worng with my new M3:

Whenever I give it really hard acceleration in wet or slick conditions, the front tires will slip or "burn out", especially if I unlimber the clutch quicly.

Of course--right!?

But...

As it begins to accelerate and move up into the power band (with the wheels still spinning or partially spinning), the whole front end becomes very "clunky" and the wheels jar and shake as if there is something wrong. In fact, the whole front end shakes like a bitch until I roll off the throttle--then the vehicle proceeds as normal.

Is there something wrong with my car?

I am an experienced driver and motorcycle rider--so I know about the physics and dynamics of road handling, traction, etc.

I have always been able to smoothly "drive out" of a burnout. Now it clunks, vibrates, shakes, jars--etc--like the whole car is goign to fall apart.

Is this some sort of traction-control mechanism? Is that (bleeping) computer chip telling my tires to modulate traction? Is it making the tires stick and unstick, in some sort of micro-second, idiot proofing traction control?

Or is there something mechanically wrong with the car?

Thanks and great forums!

JZBC

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like you're experiencing a combination of torque steer and wheel hop. How to fix it? Stop doing burnouts, before you break something ;)

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
limited slip differential would have been a good idea on this car. Does it show I'm pissed about that? Well I am!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
sounds like hes fake to me...lol...no offense mister but your format of posting is exactly the same...lol....sorry to hear u have those bizzare issues...but if youre so experienced with everything u should have an idea on whats going on...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Why is this Crossposted??

DINU??

·
Registered
96 Posts
I put this in the other post, but I'll add it here too.

First generation Dodge Neons (which I currently own) have a wheel hop problem. Putting in stiffer motor mounts usually reduces it considerably. Prior to installing motor mount inserts I had actually snapped a couple of exhaust manifold bolts due to a 'hopping' incident.

Perhaps firming up the M3 motor mounts might help?

P.S.
Planning on getting a M3 HB around April :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2000 VW Golf after about 60,000 km. I thought it was a result of the tires wearing since it took so long for this problem to appear. It happened a lot in wet conditions. I was sure it was the tires at the time. It's too bad this has happened on a new car. From what I read on the forums, the tires are not all that great (17" Goodyears).

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I know, just giving you crap... ;)

I was actually more concerned because he posted it fresh in both topics (here and Engine).

·
Registered
27 Posts
The hopper and shaker

Here is a thought. If you are driving in heavy snow it is possible for the buildup around the wheel wells and inner rim to accumulate enough that possibly it is acting like a giant wheel weight and when things get spinning it throws off the balance of the tire/rim. If the wheel well is packed suspension travel will suffer....just another thought. If snow isn't the problem then you are beating the snot out of things upon acceleration. Back in the day my 84 GTI would burn with the best of them to a certain point then the hop came in, a rear wheel drive car will do the same thing but it is less noticeable being that you are also not trying to steer with the spinning and hopping wheel/tire and this action is not directed right through the steering wheel. My advce is that if you want your M3 to last quit trying to get things spinning.

·
Registered
118 Posts
what is wheel hop? I just got a new 3s and I'm fairly new at driving stick, so sometimes when I'm on a hill I give it too much gas while letting out the clutch and the tires spin but my tires dont squeal they just fell like theyre slipping then gripping and makes a loud thud noise.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I talked to my tuner friend. There are 2 things that you can do, stiffer motor mounts and something else that has to do with bushings. I will give him a call and when he gets back to me I will repost. Oh, and I personally think that the wheel hop sucks.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
lazerasa said:
what is wheel hop? I just got a new 3s and I'm fairly new at driving stick, so sometimes when I'm on a hill I give it too much gas while letting out the clutch and the tires spin but my tires dont squeal they just fell like theyre slipping then gripping and makes a loud thud noise.
You are experiencing wheel hop.

It's as if the car is too light, but not light enough to chirp on the slip of the wheels.

And FYI - it doesn't just happen on hills. I found mine likes to do it on drainage grates in the rain.... Those echo and it really sounds funky...

·
Registered
239 Posts
mine mostly does it when I have the wheel turned hard and do some agressive acceleration. It feels like I am driving on Detroit interstates. Oh, wait, I am driving on detroit interstates. O.k. It feels like I am hitting every dang pot hole in existence.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Ummm... Well, you should only get it in first and on the release, so if you are hitting every dang pot hole in existence, I think you have a different problem... ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wheel Hopper

Yep, that is wheel hop, you mention having the wheel turned and what you are getting is wheel hop and torque steer. A front wheel drive car is famous for this action. Think about it...when you are hard on the gas you have weight transfer to the rear, a front wheel drive then gets light in the front and you loose traction at that point. If the wheels are turned you are getting light in the front plus putting weight in the opposite rear corner of the direction you have the wheel turned, the inside wheel looses traction and begins to slip. In a straight line a rear wheel drive car will loose traction until either the weight transfer takes effect or the slip is equal with forward movement. A front wheel drive car in the same scenario will slip until the weight transfer goes back to the front, then it hooks up, then the weight transfer again to the rear, back to the front and so on until complete forward motion is gained.....in between you get the wheel hop and this is what you are feeling. Motor mounts will not keep this from happening nor will suspension bushings at the sway bar. The only thing that will is stiffer springs in the front and rear to keep the vehicle from pivoting under acceleration. My advice, if you are experiencing these prooblems you need to change your driving style if you want your car to last. If not, hit the aftermarket and do some upgrades but buy a couple clutches or transmissions, you will need them if you continue to drive this way.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Get better tires than the RS-A if it's what came with your 3...RS-A aren't good performer in the wet so more wheel spin = more wheel hop.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
But the tires I want cost me $650..... before mount and balance!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
But the tires I want cost me $650..... before mount and balance!
Right not I have Yokohama's AVS winter tires because here with the snow we get it's almost a necessity.

I already checked with the tire shop that I always deal with. I want to put some Toyo T1-S or Proxes4 this spring and they are giving me 400$ CDN for my RS-A's so the change in tires won't hurt the wallet as much.

Maybe you can find a good tire shop that is willing to do that for you? Because I know it's kind of frustrating to have to pay to put quality tires because Mazda decided to put crap on the 3. The RS-A were on my previous car so I know them well and hate them well also! lol....but the other car had a limited slip differential but unfortunately the 3 doesn't have that....that really is my biggest gripe about the 3. Stupid neon's have traction control....anyway, I'm getting off topic....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts