Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought a M3 and I love it.

I am used to a street truck with a LS differential / RWD.

I have driven standards / FWD for years.

I need to know if there is something worng with my new M3:

Whenever I give it really hard acceleration in wet or slick conditions, the front tires will slip or "burn out", especially if I unlimber the clutch quicly.

Of course--right!?

But...

As it begins to accelerate and move up into the power band (with the wheels still spinning or partially spinning), the whole front end becomes very "clunky" and the wheels jar and shake as if there is something wrong. In fact, the whole front end shakes like a bitch until I roll off the throttle--then the vehicle proceeds as normal.

Is there something wrong with my car?

I am an experienced driver and motorcycle rider--so I know about the physics and dynamics of road handling, traction, etc.

I have always been able to smoothly "drive out" of a burnout. Now it clunks, vibrates, shakes, jars--etc--like the whole car is goign to fall apart.

Is this some sort of traction-control mechanism? Is that (bleeping) computer chip telling my tires to modulate traction? Is it making the tires stick and unstick, in some sort of micro-second, idiot proofing traction control?

Or is there something mechanically wrong with the car?

Thanks and great forums!

JZBC

·
Registered
947 Posts
It's called wheel hop, a phenomenon that plagues front wheel drive car and a quick mechanical reminder not to do silly things. ;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ya, others have experienced similar behaviors in their Mazda3. I've never tried it. But I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The stiffer the chassis the worst the feedback on the wheelhop.

It even sounds like it is in the rear when it really gets going.

·
Registered
239 Posts
just wait till you are in slick conditions, like snow. Then it really starts to hop.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I usually only get it if I punch it in first during wet weather. However, I've noticed that if I'm not going straight, for example, I turn the wheel and try to gun it from a stop, I will sometimes hop in the turn.

Really strange too, because overall I feel the car has wonderful grip to the road - just not in first gear.

I'd prefer it if the car would just chirp, instead I always feel like I'm tearing the crap out of something.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Why is this Crossposted??

DINU??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wheel hop is very normal on FWD cars. I had it on all my former cars.

·
Registered
96 Posts
First generation Dodge Neons (which I currently own) have a wheel hop problem. Putting in stiffer motor mounts usually reduces it considerably. Prior to installing motor mount inserts I had actually snapped a couple of exhaust manifold bolts due to a 'hopping' incident.

Perhaps firming up the M3 motor mounts might help?

P.S.
Planning on getting a M3 HB around April. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.