Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a TRUNK MOUNT bike rack that will fit on my '06 Sedan with a spoiler on the trunk. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/fit-guides.html

go to this link

In the middle of the page where it says "Yakima" and "Click here and go"
Click on that button then it will ask you Make, Model and Year of your car
Enter that info
It will ask you if you want a roof mount or trunk mount
Obviously click trunk mount
Next page will show you all of your options

they have trunk mount bike racks from 70 bucks and up

let me know if you have any problems

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the fitment of the trunk rack over the spoiler.....any issues? I checked my local Craigslist and checked out 2 different racks and neither would fit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I too am curious about the trunk bike racks. I've got 2 bike racks at home, one for the trunk and one that fits a 2" trailer hitch (and therefore not MZ3 friendly).

I used the trunk rack on my old car (Olds Intrigue) and have a feeling that the bike rack had begun to bend and tweak the trunk so that the gap between the rear window and edge of the trunk lid had gotten bigger. :shock:

SO that makes me a little worried about putting this rack on my brand new car. I've heard similar stories about bike racks and bent trunk lids. I'd love a roof rack, but I can't fathom spending $600+ on a rack when i'm only really going to use it a few times a year. And borrowing my mom's SUV with the hitch can get inconvenient. Although I could get a snowboard rack too and use it for fishing poles and that can be my excuse to learn to snowboard! :lol:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got a hatch... and was using a 'bell' bike rack... not sure what went wrong, but now I have 2 dents in my car from the rack moving while I drove.. the straps where as tight as I could make them but it still moved, all I can think is that it was a cheap bike rack... the more expensive one's come with 6 straps, where mine was 4...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just had a lot of trouble finding one that would fit over the trunk spoiler.

ORSracksdirect.com ! Very helpful. Assured me a proper fit, based on another guy that works there having a Mazda just like mine and using the rack I ordered........
KingJoe 2
If you’re a frequent rider who wants trunk rack versatility along with ultra-strong stainless steel construction, the KingJoe is for you. It has the padded feet and buckles, and the Quick-Trigger™ hub system that makes installation a breeze. As far as your bikes are concerned, it’s a royal mode of transport.

Quick Trigger Hub System makes installation a snap
Fits the broadest range of vehicles of any Yakima strap rack
2 bike capability
Narrow arm design fits a wide variety of bikes
Premium Tri-Padded feet and padded metal buckles protect your car’s paint job
Integrated StableCradles hold bikes firmly in place
Six-strap system holds everything securely in place, even if your car has a spoiler
Folding arms on the KingJoe make storage easy. As opposed to folded arms on you, which make you look bored during job interviews
Includes glass hatch hooks for glass trunk or gate mounts

$135. Kinda pricey, but for a guaranteed fit, worth it in my opinion.

We'll see......... :?:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to bump an old one, but I was wondering if you got this to work for you. I have a kingjoe 3 but I have an '07 3 with a lip spoiler and i couldn't get the side hooks to sit properly -- the spoiler kept getting in the way.

any other suggestions (from experience) would be great as well. Most of those online fit guides don't have an option for a type of spoiler and it looks like my lil' lip spoiler is going to make this expensive/obnoxious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts