Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yakima and Thule dont have the 3 in their online configurations. I was wondering if anyone has put a rack on the top of a 5-door? Will the rack components from Yakima and Thule for the 6 work on the 3? I totaly need a rack!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Looks like Thule changed their site recently, wasn't even two weeks ago where you could configure a system for a 3.

Either way, when I checked Thule's racks were compatible with the 3. All you need is the right foot pack (forgot the part number), from there it's pretty flexible. I'm sure Yakima works the same way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was told by a friend at a bike shop who contacted Thule that it would be 6 to 9 months for a rack in the US. They do sell a rack in Europe called the "quick fit" for the 3 and Mazda has factory racks in Japan, but we are SOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I just checked Thule's site and they list the 3 in their configurator, but once you select it, it says that they do not have a rack for it. Damn it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a thule snowboard rack for my hatch and it should be installed over the weekend. The thule site is kinda weird because after you pick Mazda then 2004 you get 3 options for the 3 ..

a. 3
b. 3 4dr
c. 3 5dr

I dont think it works if you pick A ... i chose C and it came up with the 3125 fit kit. Hope this helps.

btw yakima still doesnt have one that fits yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Educate me on roof racks (never had one): Are they easy to attach? How do they mount? Is there paint damage? Easy to remove?

Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thule doesn't have the 4 door option yet, but the 5 door is available for both snowboard/ski and bikes. I'm bumping this up in the hopes that someone who has used roof racks on cars with rain gutters before can answer Kirk's questions above. ^

The trunk lid on the 4-door seems like it will be too short to use my trunk-mounted bike rack - plus the carpet on the interior trunk lid covers over any holes that I could hook into for mounting. A roof rack is going to be very useful if we can get them!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yakima and Thule are the two brands you want to look into. If they aren't available yet, throw it in the trunk for now. But I think they're out now.

They're not hard to put on or take off. Some people put them on and leave them on all year so they can think they look cool. The ones for the 3 should have 4 rubber bottom "towers" that mount at each corner. These will hold the bars that can hold a variety of configurations. Then there will be some kind of rubber coated bracket that will fit the door frame. Tighten it down and presto. The first time is the hardest, but then to take it off, just loosen it a tiny bit and it will come off. When you put it back on tighten it just a bit and presto again. A couple minutes is all you'll need. I wouldn't leave it mounted because there can be quite a bit of wind noise, not to mention hurting your mileage, but this is probably pretty minimal. They do make fairings for the front of the rack. These help to direct some airflow over the rack cutting down on noise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
neither yakima or thule usa have listed a rack for the sedan yet
but thule uk has one for the sedan, is their 3 different from ours and has anybody tried one on a sedan yet?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't want to know what you're towing with a 2.3l :lol: Besides the cost of the rack and the hitch with installation will more than likely be the most expensive and worst looking option IMO. Wait for Thule or Yakima, it won't be long I'm sure. The quality aftermarket parts take a bit to develop and manufacture.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I emailed Yakima and they said they will put the 3 in que for rack design. Maybe if a few more people emailed them requesting a rack they would speed up the process?

"The fit team is gathering more ’04 fits every day. I don’t see your vehicle listed yet, but we are receiving updates often. Check back with us in the future for more information on that fit. I will log that you would like a rack for your car. That will help show that there is a demand for it."

[email protected]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thule doesn't have a fit kit for the 4dr yet either. Saris is the only one who does. Besides, I already have a bunch of Yakima mounts.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sorry Kenais I wasn't paying attention, I didn't know you had a sedan. They do have one for the 5dr though, which helps me but not you :x

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I knew someone with a Kona Edition Focus that came with a factory bike rack bolted to the roof. (fit better than any Thule or Yakima ever could) and had a 150lb weight limit. They got a hitch reciever for a hitch rack cause they didn't want to deal with lifting the bike on top of the car and putting it on the rack.

Personally, the few times I used my Kona's bike rack I found it difficult and worrysome (about scratching the roof), and I'm a big guy pushing 6'6")

1 - 20 of 28 Posts