Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Thought I would share the big heart attack story I had today with all of you in case anyone ever runs into the same situation. (Probably only applies to fellow Canadians, lol you'll understand why)

SO: A few weeks ago, while coming home from the movies on a particularly cold night, suddenly one of my speakers cut out and then cut back in a bit and was really scratchy and rattling. (JL ZR650 components) Obviously concerned, but assuming it was a loose wire i just turned the system off. When i tried it later, it worked perfectly so I assumed my loose wire theory was correct.

Well just 2 days ago, it happened again, on the same side so this time I knew i had to troubleshoot. I first tried switching the RCA inputs to the amp, still the left side so the head unit was ruled out. Then I switched the crossovers around, same thing. Tried switching the amp outputs around to see if maybe the Left side on my amp was gone, but as i was doing it, everything started working again.

Finally today when i started up the car, it was really bad like no sound from the Left side at all it seemed, so i switched the amp and nothing. Down to the speaker. When I unplugged the mids, and played with only the tweeters they were both fine, but then: i switched back to mids and it started happening on the right side too!

Now I'm sure i have blown both mids somehow. crackling and massive distortion on the right and no sound on the left. So i pulled both mids out, and inspected them, then checked the impedence with a multimeter. they were fine. Thats when I had the craziest idea! Every time they stopped working it was on a super cold day, after the car had been sitting and was coldest. (It was -30C here today with the windchill) I brought both mids inside for a few hours then once they were warmed up took them back out and presto! flawless sound!

Conclusion? looks like when they are super cold, the drivers cannot move enough to produce sound, or if they do, it is really distorted! then as the car heats up inside and the hot air gets to the speakers, they start to work again...

I guess, as amazing as they sound, JL did not intend their speakers to be used when it's -30 out! (probably why they have only one dealer in canada, and its certainly not here in edmonton!) guess i will have to get used to singing in the car for the time being until winter is over :(

ed

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=edconline link=topic=137406.msg2962392#msg2962392 date=1235627758]Conclusion? looks like when they are super cold, the drivers cannot move enough to produce sound, or if they do, it is really distorted! then as the car heats up inside and the hot air gets to the speakers, they start to work again... [/quote]

I've noticed this to some extent with my Infinity Reference components. I've never had them not produce sound in extreme cold (and we get some nasty cold weather here in Minnesota too), but until they've warmed up, my highs end up being a bit muffled. Speakers are precision components that, like engines, have tight tolerances. Good to hear at least your problems aren't permanent (like if you had blown your speakers).

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have had this happen before myself with my Focal components. If it is colder than 20 F the night before, at least one of the speakers gets affected, usually the driver side.

I have experienced a weird buzzing sound that sounds like voice coil delamination from this, but if I turn the speaker off and wait the half-day or so until it melts, there is no apparent permanent damage, so I suspect that this is caused by frost building up on the driver.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies, good to know it has happened before and it wasnt just me! weird that it seems to frequent the drivers side more, i wonder why that is?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
[quote author=edconline link=topic=137406.msg2963839#msg2963839 date=1235690043]
thanks for the replies, good to know it has happened before and it wasnt just me! weird that it seems to frequent the drivers side more, i wonder why that is?
[/quote]

probably the way he parks. im guessing he parks with the passenger side to the sun, so it stays a bit warmer, and warms up quicker in the morning than the passenger side. just a guess...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was wondering if it was due to the design of something as it was much more common on my drivers side, with no sun in any of the instances.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts