Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our '07 phantom blue mica "3" 5-door on Friday. I'm very positively impressed so far. It's peppy and handles quite well. Build quality is what I'd expect from a Japanese car, i.e., very good. I've made a few very minor cosmetic changes: The seagull and "Mazda 3" on the rear hatch are gone as are the "2.3" emblems on the front doors. I think the look is much cleaner.

One problem, however. My right foot does not fit on the gas pedal without hitting the brake pedal unless I lay my foot almost horizontally. This is hard to believe; I can't drive the car this way. Anyway, my solution was (1) to cut off about 1/4" of the rubber on the right side of the brake pedal. The metal is now exposed. I glued the remaining rubber onto the pedal to keep it in place. More importantly, (2) I removed the plastic panel on the center console down where my right foot was hitting it. It's a piece about 12" x 6" held on by a single clip. Now I've got perhaps an extra 1"-2" to move my foot away from the brake pedal while it's on the gas. This works fine, but seems rediculous to have to do this on a new, modern car.

Am I the only one to have experienced this problem?

Ken

P.S. My feet are really not so big; I wear a size 10 1/2 shoe.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had that problem for about a week after a bought the car, but I eventually got used to it and now it doesn't bother me at all. You'll get used to it, unless you have monstrously wide shoes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah sometimes my feet slip off the pedal on accident while accelerating...It's a tiny pedal...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, and have the same problem. Plus I have size 12 shoes. I'm not really infavor of cutting the brake pedal up, but sure might try removing the kick panel that is mentioned. Thanks.
One question too. Can anyone tell me where the 7th speaker is located? Is it under the dash?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
13W here, dont beleive I have a problem. Then again fast transitions to hit the break I do hit the side of the pedal :(

·
Registered
384 Posts
I constantly snag my foot on the brake. Why in the hell would Mazda move these two so close together??? Especially with all of the room that could be available. I've tried removing the kick panel; it exposes the carpet and I constantly snag it.

Can you move the pedals???? Is this even a possibility? :(

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Since I posted on this thread I started having constant problems with this. These nike airs are size 14 and constantly hitting it. Im glad it hits when trying to hit the gas instead of the other way around, I would have crashed 400 times by now. Few days ago it took like 5 seconds for me to go from a stop light because I kept hitting the dam break pedal. Or ill get 50/50, nothing like starting to go, then slowing down to slide the foot over all the way and then zoom. Really why in the hell are they so close, marketing for girls/ small guys?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Im sure it also applied to slim feat. These are 14 wiiiide

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I wear an 11 1/2 and don't have a single problem with it. I can't say hit the gas if my foot is held parrallel to the floor, but I wouldn't expect to. I don't have any issues finding a comfortable way to drive the car without hitting the pedal (I have about a 1/2" of clearance on the side of my shoe when I normally drive and if I squeeze my foot over I can make it close to an inch).
-Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmm, that's strange... I'm driving an '04 MTX and if anything I find the pedals spaced to far (!) making it really hard to heel-and-toe...
I'm size 13, btw.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I wear Newbalance primarily if that helps anyone. Heck even with flip flops on they fit on the pedals fine (I almost never do that. If I wear flip flops I usually just kick them off and drive bare foot). They are spaced a bit to make heel toe hard, but I think that is more of an issue of difference in distance off the floor then spacing in my humble opinion.
-Matt

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Nike air are the gym shoes. Ill measure the shoe.... 5 1/4" Wide x 14 1/4" Long

·
Registered
384 Posts
[quote author=kstaskiewicz link=topic=65734.msg1327385#msg1327385 date=1176309213]
Hmmm, that's strange... I'm driving an '04 MTX and if anything I find the pedals spaced to far (!) making it really hard to heel-and-toe...
I'm size 13, btw.
[/quote]

From what I've seen, Mazda definitely moved the brake closer to the gas pedal with the '07's. It's ridiculous. :x

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yup, 14 here and if I'm in running shoes...no issue. Any other shoe that has a big/wide sole to it...major pain in the rear! Why are the pedals so damn close in the 07? Doesn't seem to be any real need to be that close...it's not a formula 1 car for cryin' out loud!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts