Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching through the forums and read good things about the KDW, havent read much on the sport.

Trying to decide between these two for my MS3. I'm at 16K miles and I'm basically running on slicks with the stockers. I had the g-force sport for my Rx8 and I loved them. Didnt know how much difference there would be in the MS3, seeing as they are basically polar opposite cars. Are the KDW2s worth the few extra bucks? I'm in SC so I'm not worried about winter weather traction. Basically I want help eliminating the wheel hop as much as possible as well as longevity. (I also have family connections that get hefty michelin/bfg discounts so i probably wont stray from the brand)

Also, how about what size would be the best? Thanks everyone...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
it won't help with the wheel hop...get some motor mounts and traction bars to help eliminate wheel hop

as far as the kdw, if you are willing to spend the money, i say go for it....i heard the g force sports are more of a comfort, quiet tire...versus the kdw which are more of a performance orientated tire

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
I've ran KDW's on my old wheels (see sig), and they were great, in terms of grip (wet and dry).. but when they wore down, oh boy, they were loud as hell. Otherwise they wore pretty well, they lasted a long time, which was nice.

I'd get the Sport, IMO.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=139157.msg2999069#msg2999069 date=1237270744]i heard the g force sports are more of a comfort, quiet tire...versus the kdw which are more of a performance orientated tire
[/quote]

The G-force sports are NOT just a comfort tire (but they are a hell of a lot quieter and more comfortable than the KDWs). They are quite capable as a performance tire. I ran them for a whole season at autocross. The KDW2's are probably a bit better, but if longevity is a factor, the G-force sports are a great choice. I got ~18k miles and a whole season of autocross out of them. If I were looking for a true streeet tire (as opposed to an ST autocross tire like I run now) I would still be running them, they were excellent performers yet still quite comfortable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah my first impression was the Sport. I could use that money I saved and get the SU Motor Mount. Hopefully that will be enough to stop wheel hop, as the only performance mod I have is an intake, so im not pushing a great amount of WHP.

Size recommendations for the Sport??? I'm on a stock MS3 rim.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
225/40-18

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I called the dealer, who I have gone to for 5 years, about recommendations for tire size. (This was before I got the reply, thanks rubyred) Well, a voice comes on the phone that i have never heard before. I mentioned other possible tire sizes. He starts telling me how its the worst idea he's ever heard, it can mess so many things up, etc.

I ask him what could go wrong besides my speedo being 1.2mph off. He tells me it could throw a CEL!?!? Now I remember changing sizes slightly on my RX8. I trust you guys a lot more than the dick I talked to on the phone. So going from a 215/45ZR18 to a 225/40ZR18 wouldnt risk anything besides the slight speedo change right?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
yeah, that guy is a douche, go with 225/40. Changing tire size won't cause a problem at all.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
[quote author=Big_Mike_4488 link=topic=139157.msg2999778#msg2999778 date=1237308736]
Ok so I called the dealer, who I have gone to for 5 years, about recommendations for tire size. (This was before I got the reply, thanks rubyred) Well, a voice comes on the phone that i have never heard before. I mentioned other possible tire sizes. He starts telling me how its the worst idea he's ever heard, it can mess so many things up, etc.

I ask him what could go wrong besides my speedo being 1.2mph off. He tells me it could throw a CEL!?!? Now I remember changing sizes slightly on my RX8. I trust you guys a lot more than the dick I talked to on the phone. So going from a 215/45ZR18 to a 225/40ZR18 wouldnt risk anything besides the slight speedo change right?
[/quote]

don't even bother with people at the dealership...i work at a dealership so i know how it is...their main priority is to get money and get work...if some guy on the internet calls and ask too many technical questions in regards to their vehicle...they will simply say "this is not a repair hotline, this is a dealership and we fix cars"

don't worry bout what he says...he is simply doing his job

and u don't have to worry about going with 225/40/18

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah go with 225/40/18 and stealerships pray on the weak and uninformed...like women. :funny:

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
[quote author=steven88 link=topic=139157.msg3000422#msg3000422 date=1237326152]
[quote author=Big_Mike_4488 link=topic=139157.msg2999778#msg2999778 date=1237308736]

[/quote]

don't even bother with people at the dealership...i work at a dealership so i know how it is...their main priority is to get money and get work...if some guy on the internet calls and ask too many technical questions in regards to their vehicle...they will simply say "this is not a repair hotline, this is a dealership and we fix cars"

don't worry bout what he says...he is simply doing his job

and u don't have to worry about going with 225/40/18
[/quote]

even though I agree it is their job to make the dealership money that sure as hell is the wrong way to go about doing it. its funny how so few people in customer service understand that if you want to make more money you should just service your customers. you are certainly gonna build trust a lot better if you tell the truth to people

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
budgy, i didn't necessarily mean in relation to the OP's case...the OP is definitely a customer and is inquiring about tires...his intention is to buy tires from the dealership

however, the phone operators and customer service reps are NOT going to know technical specifics on the vehicle...its not their job...and if it ain't OEM or Mazda genuine, then forget about it...if the guest wants to sit and argue saying "well i read this and that on the internet"...well guess what? the answer is no...they are doing that to protect themselves from any problems down the road....and while the operator and the guest talk about putting non mazda stuff on, the phones are ringing off the hook...people are calling asking "hey i want my 30k service, hey i want my brakes done, etc"....those are big cash tickets and if the operator doesn't get to them, the dealership will lose money...cuz the people will call somewhere else since nobody can get to the phones, because the operator is too busy dealing with guys calling in and asking technical questions

now i'm not saying every dealership is like this...there are share of good ones who will listen in...but majority are not the case...its not because they don't want to...its because they need to make money to survive...time is money...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts