Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I posted awhile back asking a similar question, except at that point I was looking for a sedan. The recent addition of a second large dog (2 greyhounds!) has meant changing plans to a hatch. Plus, now the gun is to my head as my present lease is just about up.

So- my plan is to buy a used, low-mile 3s hatch and have some fun in H-Stock. From my pervious post, I now know that it means I must run 17 inch wheels. But besides that, what is the best (a.k.a. lightest) trim that is available? Also, is there an efficient way when browsing cars online to use the vin to determine which trim level it is? I assume that like most cars, I would be trying to find one without a sunroof, without superluous power features, etc. Any advice on this?

I'd like to get the car prior to the present lease being completely done, so that I can get the shocks done at that time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Since the hatch all come with the same size tires and engine... the only thing you can work on is the weight. The earlier versions 2004-2005 are slightly lighter than the newer models. Also if it doesn't matter to you try and find one without a sunroof. That additional weight is in the worst place for an auto-x car. I did manage to find one without a sunroof but I also don't have ABS either. I'm not too concerned about the ABS as the car is fantastic and is predictable under hard braking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I think I found one locally without a sunroof, and reading through the features it would seem that ABS is not part of the bargain, which is ok by me I suppose. I've gone without it before :D

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/default.html?AVi=2&id=5650553&AS=AAAEAA)g*27*I*99*&D=90&zip=33131&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage%20Model&Rp=R&Vp=A&PP=20&sV=List&Q=65d58a04-6b61-481f-95da-787bbb9b33bd

Hopefully this link works. Price feels high to me, but the car seems right otherwise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't I want the S? Wait... that 2nd ad is confusing. Says Mazda 3i in the title, but 2.3L in the description. The Blue one has tape on the front bumper seam. What's up with that? Prices sure are better though...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I believe all hatches are S with 2.3...

I saw tape on bumper also..

Red one looks nice. The blue is one of my favorite colors (besides Yellow, of course).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back in my financially irresponsible days, I leased an RX8. I really wanted that blue color, but I ended up with Titanium Grey, which I really dug anyhow. BUT- they had a yellow RX8 that I wanted SO badly, but it had the extra gear I didn't want like a sunroof and Nav. The yellow is pretty sweet.

Its amazing how much weight counts in cars. Just by getting the stripped Rx8 with no sunroof, I could pull on other Rx8s on straights (drove it on NHIS a few times, good fun)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I love greyhounds! I used to have one :)

Anyway, I have a 2005 hatch (sSport model...I think; it was used). All hatches are S models with a 2.3L engine. I didn't know the sunroof was an option, seeing as how I found one with it. Not that I cared for it at the time. But yes, the stock size wheels on the hatch is 17". The only option my car did not come with was navi, which I didn't want anyway.
I'm running my stock hatch in HS, and I'm really enjoying it :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wanted to add in that there are some hatches without spoilers.. not sure if its like that in the states but models prior to 09 had 2 trims for the hatches, one with 16s + no spoiler, and one with 17s + spoiler. Not sure if you'd like to have a lightened rear end though, just wanted to throw it in.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
[quote author=tweaK_s link=topic=136444.msg2958216#msg2958216 date=1235499947]
Just wanted to add in that there are some hatches without spoilers.. not sure if its like that in the states but models prior to 09 had 2 trims for the hatches, one with 16s + no spoiler, and one with 17s + spoiler. Not sure if you'd like to have a lightened rear end though, just wanted to throw it in.
[/quote]

Sadly, all the hatches in the US came with the heavy 17" wheels. Not sure that a 10lb spoiler is going to make that much of a difference anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts