Mazda3 Forums banner

Best way to fix chipped paint?

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  oberon 
#1 ·
I have a new 3. Today noticed a small paint chip on the drivers side front quarter panel about 6 inches behind the clear side light. It is chipped right down to the primer. Any time I have tried to use touch up paint on previous vehicles it has ended up looking like crap. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
buy factory touch-up paint but don't use the brush that comes with it.

i heard some ppl use alcohol.....but....i just use water to make sure the spot is completely dirt-free.

then....grab a toothpick and use that to carefully apply the paint ONLY on the chipped area. Apply evenly

Give it 2-3 days to dry and reapply if needed.

Now....just to let u know......in the sunlight......u will still see a little dimple probably.......but......i guess it's better than a little white chipped spot on the car.

i dont think there's a way to get it back to normal unless u repaint the whole car

#3 ·
On a plastic area such as a bumper, I've watched repair guys sand around the area then give it another coat, and blend it in.

No idea what they do for metal sections, I doubt they'd do that however.

#5 ·
I've also tried the touch up paint but used the brush. I will never do that again. I like the idea of the toothpick with the touch up but don't you risk missing a spot and having it rust out? I've heard of clear nailpolish being used as a sealer... anyone ever try that?

#8 ·
Use a polishing compound or something to remove the wax from the area. Apply a little paint with a toothpick. Let it dry for at least a few days, longer in cold areas. Then If you're confident with your wet sanding skills do that next to smooth it out. If you don't know how, DON'T TRY! Now put a new coat of polish and wax on. It's hard to make it perfect, but it'll look pretty darn good. The ideal way is to sand the area down, paint it, and wet sand to blend it in. But I don't have the time or money to do this on every chip :lol: Just take your time

#9 ·
The tooth pick technique is probably the best way next to air brush. I profesionally detailed cars at an Acura dealer, took a 2 week class, and that is the way I was taught. The paint is applied thicker and stays stronger. Make sure to clean the area of the chip with a alcohol swab to get any dirt or wax out of it so the paint adhears better.

#11 ·
I chipped my paint when I was using the electric polisher, the extension cord plughit and scretched the paint a little... Lucky that is very very small, so I just put 3 layers of wax on there for now. Can't really see it unless I am next to it.

Philip

#12 ·
I chipped my paint when I was using the electric polisher, the extension cord plughit and scretched the paint a little... Lucky that is very very small, so I just put 3 layers of wax on there for now. Can't really see it unless I am next to it.
When you say waxing...
does the 2 in 1's work just as well?
or should i buy some wax to apply to it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.