Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the market for a turbo kit, and im considering the following.
Hiboost kit
Tri Point
F2 kit

Which one of them would be the best one for just a DD.. Since i dont really want to upgrade the internals, but i might have to... so give or take

Eagle rods - 400
9:1 pistons around 450
APR studs - 200

Stage 2 clutch w/ flywheel 500

I saw a Hiboost kit for sale for 2300.. so it seems like a really good price.
Do you guys have any recommendations ? please help me with a decision.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Tri point! 100% Safe and they have done there work very well done :)

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i mean im not looking for more then 250 whp... just want to be safe.. and internals and hiboost would be ok, and well i know that tripoint is super safe.
what about reactive racing kit ? more pricey.... but ready for more power..
i just need to think about all the choices... :(

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
I paid for the Reactive kit but it wasn't PZEV ready at the time so I put it on hold.

I liked the option for plug and play injectors and external POV...

On the other hand the Tri-Point kit had a cooled turbo and they are a forum sponsor. Also easy to get a hold of if you need to...

I didn't even look at the F2 or highboost when I was looking to purchase.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
imo reactive racing kit is the best quality kit out there. not saying the others are bad, but if i was going to buy a kit i would go reactive racing 100% over the others.

theres no 100% "safe" when your boosting, however internals would be great to give you a buffer with your tuning if your not up to par on how to tune standalones (only applicable if you get the haltech..) xfc is pretty easy to tune, however if you dont know what your doing in general with afr's you can do some mad damage. internals will give you a little more leeway than stock internals will

but dont forget to factor in labor on those internals.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i have a friend that would do it for me for free... i mean i helped him out a little with his miata.. so now its the time for him to return the favor in installin the internals....
but otherwise i know a shop would charge around 1000-1200 for changing internals to forged, that is if i give them the parts.
other thing is i was thinking about just doing forged internals now.. stage 2 clutch..... 9:1 compression pistons.. and ride like that till like july or something... then boost it.. when more cash comes in..
would that be a good or bad idea ?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
[quote author=lucaspl88 link=topic=134328.msg2888404#msg2888404 date=1232844867]
yea i have a friend that would do it for me for free... i mean i helped him out a little with his miata.. so now its the time for him to return the favor in installin the internals....
but otherwise i know a shop would charge around 1000-1200 for changing internals to forged, that is if i give them the parts.
other thing is i was thinking about just doing forged internals now.. stage 2 clutch..... 9:1 compression pistons.. and ride like that till like july or something... then boost it.. when more cash comes in..
[/quote]

That is the best way to go! This is something I might do too. :)

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=lucaspl88 link=topic=134328.msg2888404#msg2888404 date=1232844867]
[/quote]

good and bad.. wont hurt anything and youll have time to make sure the motor is broken in again (if you believe in that sort of stuff.. theres multiple views floating around the web on it). however, youll experience a slight loss of power in the meantime due to the drop in compression. its not bad though and hardly noticable.

EDIT:: on the breaking in comment.. we did all my work at once and have been driving it like i stole it ever since :lol:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
[quote author=coondogg link=topic=134328.msg2888073#msg2888073 date=1232831375]
I paid for the Reactive kit but it wasn't PZEV ready at the time so I put it on hold.

I liked the option for plug and play injectors and external POV...

On the other hand the Tri-Point kit had a cooled turbo and they are a forum sponsor. Also easy to get a hold of if you need to...

I didn't even look at the F2 or highboost when I was looking to purchase.

[/quote]
I have a question for you about the PZEV ready statement you made about the Reactive Racing. I've been looking around myself for a long time and have been set on the Reactive Racing kit for about 3 months now. What is the problem with it not being PZEV ready? Not sure if I quite understand that statement, sorry. Hope you can answer my question.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The reason it is not PZEV read is because the XFC is not configured for the o2 sensors that the PZEV cars have. It is a very different setup than the federal cars...F2 is the only one that has the XFC ready to go on the PZEV car and has a turbo running on a PZEV car. Before we put the turbo kit on Jonathan's car we put a turbo on a 2004 and we used the same ECU as tri point and we did not like it too much....

Our kit offers the same as others if not more...injectors are plug and play and we have a Dual port BOV and we are also a forum sponsor and by far the most affordable kit and will soon be the one that puts down the most power at 8.5psi if the clutch holds up....but we are biased...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
[quote author=f2focus link=topic=134328.msg2888701#msg2888701 date=1232857461]
The reason it is not PZEV read is because the XFC is not configured for the o2 sensors that the PZEV cars have. It is a very different setup than the federal cars...F2 is the only one that has the XFC ready to go on the PZEV car and has a turbo running on a PZEV car. Before we put the turbo kit on Jonathan's car we put a turbo on a 2004 and we used the same ECU as tri point and we did not like it too much....

Our kit offers the same as others if not more...injectors are plug and play and we have a Dual port BOV and we are also a forum sponsor and by far the most affordable kit and will soon be the one that puts down the most power at 8.5psi if the clutch holds up....but we are biased...
[/quote]
I also heard a rumor that F2 was working on a supercharger, can you share any info on that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts