Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know what are good tires for daily driving for that price. I dont plan on autocrossing but I love to make the car grip the road better and LAST LONG compared to the goodyear I have which appear to be fading away at 18,000miles. I rotated those tires every 5000 miles so dont tell me that I didnt take care off the tires. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S or BFGoodrich G-force super sport A/S

I got 33k out of my Goodyears, and currently have about 20k on my Michelins...with no sign of major wear. The BFG is a revised Michelin Pilot Sport, with some newer materials that last a bit longer and are a little more sticky. More tire for your money than the Michelins I suggested. But both are highly-rated, and highly praised.

Also, if you go from a 205 width to 215 width...price will go down a bit (~$20/tire with the Michelins), but it'll affect your speedometer reading slightly (approximately 1.6% slower according to miata.net).

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I will go with michelin :)

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
why would you run an all season tire in Phoenix?

I'd recommend the BFG G-force sport (the regular ones, not the A/S). I got ~22k miles out of them along with a full season of autocross on them as well and I drive the shit out of my tires. 340 Treadwear rating, I'd expect ~35k miles on them with no autocross and normal driving, and they will outgrip the hell out of those all seasons., and they weren't half bad for autocross, grip is FAR superior to the RS-A's. The all seasons your talking about will still grip better than the badyears, but won't give you a really noticeable grip improvement like a summer only tire will (and being in Phoenix, you do NOT need an all season)

·
Registered
479 Posts
i got a full set of G-Force Sport at costco and they are amazing...already put the first 5k miles on it and they still look like new....great grip and performance wet or dry....quiet at high speed too....i got the 205/50/ZR17

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
They still get a pretty good rainy season in Phoenix, plus if you go to Flagstaff (like many do) in the winter...you'll want some light snow traction.

·
Registered
269 Posts
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=134490.msg2891147#msg2891147 date=1232990455]
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S or BFGoodrich G-force super sport A/S

I got 33k out of my Goodyears, and currently have about 20k on my Michelins...with no sign of major wear. The BFG is a revised Michelin Pilot Sport, with some newer materials that last a bit longer and are a little more sticky. More tire for your money than the Michelins I suggested. But both are highly-rated, and highly praised.

Also, if you go from a 205 width to 215 width...price will go down a bit (~$20/tire with the Michelins), but it'll affect your speedometer reading slightly (approximately 1.6% slower according to miata.net).
[/quote]

Is a 215 ok to put on the stock 17" wheels? Don't remember how wide they are.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Yes. Stock width is 205.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No reason to get All-Seasons in the Phoenix area. Our rainy "season" is really nothing and the rare times it does get bad the 3 is too low to be out in it anyway.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
summer only tires (especially the BFG G-force sports) are fine in rain, its snow that they aren't good in.

215's on stock wheels is ok, just be sure to run slightly higher pressures than stock (34 or more). I ran 215/45's on stock wheels and liked them a lot. I liked these tires so much I bought them twice. Only after I got more seriously into autocrossing did I upgrade to something stickier.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I have BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S tires - I'm at 16,500 (50%-30% tread left) miles right now, and on my second NE Ohio winter on the tires. This winter has been brutal. This morning my 1/2 hr commute was doubled with a fantastic 6-8" dumping of snow last night. These tires are not good in the snow, more specifically at low speeds 0-15 mph. Today, in fourth gear at 1300 rpms I spun the tires. :lol: It's strange because I'm comfortable driving faster on the highway 40-55 (in horrible conditions), but feel like I'm on an ice skating rink with tennis shoes when I'm moving slowly. I'll manage the rest of the winter on these tires, but wouldn't reccomend AS tires for a MZ3 in the midwestern climate. It seems like winter/summer dedicated tire sets are better.

I beat the crap out of these tires in the summer. They're solid for 8/9 months out of the year in Ohio. They're really noisy from 40-55mph in the summer, but quiet at higher speeds.

Then again there's no need for A/S tires in AZ.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
[quote author=charliebrown link=topic=134490.msg2895061#msg2895061 date=1233116259]
No reason to get All-Seasons in the Phoenix area. Our rainy "season" is really nothing and the rare times it does get bad the 3 is too low to be out in it anyway.
[/quote]

AZ (including Phoenix) was pretty bad during the monsoon season when I lived there, for a few years...and I do find it funny that easterners (rubyred3) and midwesterners (AlvinRow) are commenting on southwest weather conditions.

My main point was it's a lot nicer to keep the car equipped for all conditions, if you want to take a trip north in the winter...whether it's to New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, or ther parts of Arizona...you're likely to run into winter driving conditions (as the NOAA likes to state on my WB radio). You won't be in a frantic like several people in the west were this past winter. All-seasons do tend to wear longer and are often times a bit quieter, if you value those things.

Anyway...if you're going with a summer tire than I'll suggest the Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 (better?).

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The internet tells ALL! :lol:

Like I said previously, if you travel a bit (like I've done since I started driving) or may do so in the next few years (about the length of tire life)...have something that won't impede your traveling.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Check out Yokohama S.Drives too. I've had mine for a couple thousand miles, they grip great and are really good in the rain too. High treadwear rating too. 225/40/18s ran $600 delivered from Tire Rack.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has any one tried these. They have good reviews and the price is great. :)

They are the Dunlap SP Sport Signature :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+Signature&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=05VR7SPSIGXL&fromCompare1=yes&place=43&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=134490.msg2895677#msg2895677 date=1233154193]
I do find it funny that easterners (rubyred3) and midwesterners (AlvinRow) are commenting on southwest weather conditions.
[/quote]

You don't have to live in Phoenix to know it doesn't snow there a lot. In fact, you don't even have to look it up on the internet (but I did, just to double check), its just common knowledge.

Summer only tires don't give up any rain performance to all season tires until you start talking about "extreme performance" category tires (Falken RT-615, Kumho XS, Dunlop Direzza Z1*, etc.).

Those dunlops aren't bad, just realize you won't see a significant improvement in dry handling over the RS-A's with them (or really any all season tire). The jump in performance you get with the larger tread blocks a summer only tire provides is significant. They are at least as good as the RS-A's though in traction. People seem to like the Kumho ASX as an all season performance tire as well. My buddy has them on his integra and they're "aight".

If you ever see yourself needing to drive the car in the snow, stay away from summer only tires, sure. I drive summer only tires in NC with no problem though, and we do see occasional snow (once or twice a year max). Its a tradeoff I'm willing to make. If you aren't, then you're best sticking with all seasons. Its a personal choice. I just see it as not much of a tradeoff at all given your location, considering its only snowed like twice in the past 20 years in Phoenix.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=134490.msg2895980#msg2895980 date=1233163621]
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=134490.msg2895677#msg2895677 date=1233154193]
I do find it funny that easterners (rubyred3) and midwesterners (AlvinRow) are commenting on southwest weather conditions.
[/quote]

You don't have to live in Phoenix to know it doesn't snow there a lot. In fact, you don't even have to look it up on the internet (but I did, just to double check), its just common knowledge.

Summer only tires don't give up any rain performance to all season tires until you start talking about "extreme performance" category tires (Falken RT-615, Kumho XS, Dunlop Direzza Z1*, etc.).

Those dunlops aren't bad, just realize you won't see a significant improvement in dry handling over the RS-A's with them (or really any all season tire). The jump in performance you get with the larger tread blocks a summer only tire provides is significant. They are at least as good as the RS-A's though in traction. People seem to like the Kumho ASX as an all season performance tire as well. My buddy has them on his integra and they're "aight".

If you ever see yourself needing to drive the car in the snow, stay away from summer only tires, sure. I drive summer only tires in NC with no problem though, and we do see occasional snow (once or twice a year max). Its a tradeoff I'm willing to make. If you aren't, then you're best sticking with all seasons. Its a personal choice. I just see it as not much of a tradeoff at all given your location, considering its only snowed like twice in the past 20 years in Phoenix.
[/quote]

Understandable...but like I stated previously, it's always nice to have a tire for conditions that you may meet elsewhere. You get out of the Phoenix valley and you'll experience snow; east, west, north, even south in the higher elevations. The year I was there, 2006, we got some light snow. Of course, it was a lack of driving than tires that caused several accidents. Again, I prefer to be prepared for all conditions especially since we don't drive sports cars.

I consider summer tires to be more "extreme"...all-seasons are passable in places that get light snow.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So whats the BEST tire for dry handling and wet?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Sorry for getting off-topic...

Overall the Michelin Pilot Sport, but with a $600 budget I'd say Michelin Pilot Exalto.

I'm a Michelin/BFG fan though...always had them, probably always prefer them too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts