Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a jl 10w3 for my MS3. What is generally the orientation most folks go with? Was thinking of a stealthbox in the jack area (which would mean I would have to go with an 8 inch, not 10), as well as against the back seat facing diagonally up (where it would be mounted in a box that would be built into a frame for an amp and car pc as well.

Thoughts on positioning, as wlel as thoughts on having the sub box in the same general framing as the electronics?

Thanks!

W

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have had my sub in the back facing backwards, and now facing down on stout 3.5 inch legs, and it sounds very good either way. I prefer facing down as it helps protect the woofer without the need for a grille. I have had it VERY temporarily much further forward when I had some cargo to carry, and it sounded very boomy and bad in that location.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So its agains tthe back of the hatch, facing down? Any opinions on going against the back seat, firing toward the back glass? Seems like a bad idea but realistically that's the most convenient place to still have a nice rack while maintaining cargo area use. I would go with the stealth box int he jack area, but I'd really rather have a 10 inch than an 8...

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=willmeyer link=topic=139797.msg3014220#msg3014220 date=1237916665]
Any opinions on going against the back seat, firing toward the back glass?
[/quote]

This is how we have a 12w3 positioned in our sedan and it sounds great; i think it'd sound just as good that way in a hatch, especially if you leave your cargo cover in place (yeah, i've found that it makes a difference).

I have dual 10w0v2's in my hatch mounted in the spare tire well facing straight up with a custom cover protecting them from cargo... they sound amazing that way but it's not for everyone (especially if you don't have AAA).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts