Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting my head unit and some switches in the ashtray/lighter area in my dash, and now have no room for the airbag warning light. Has anyone moved theirs to someplace else, and if so, where? I was thinking of moving it to the side of the console, so its still somewhat visible but out of the way (for the driver anyway), but am reluctant to cut into that thing. I could just mount it somewhere under the glove box or something, but might look kinda ghetto.

Any suggestions? And for anyone that's done it, did you just cut it right out of the existing panel, or get some kind of other housing for the actual light itself?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Do you really need to see that thing? If I were to install something in its place, I'd probably just hide the light behind there somewhere.

Alternately, you could just let the bulb poke through somewhere on its own so you can see when it illuminates, because you'll know what it means even without cutting a huge hole to relocate the cover w/ picture/text explaining what it means.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah was thinking I might just mount the bulb somewhere simple, just to see if its on...just hard to imagine where to put it without it looking crappy; like a bare bulb somewhere, or even worse where it could break. Maybe just in the footwell somehow. any ideas on where to get a sort of generic lightbulb housing like the one its in, just with some clear plastic cover or something? Have searched around but to no avail, really.

Now here's hoping that I can get the airbag warning light in the dash to go off once I put my seats back in and then disconnect the battery for a while... ;-)

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I would put it in the overhang for the little cubby opening right below where it's originally located. There's a red plastic cover there for an OEM ambient light. Just put it right next to that, so the bulb poking through is not visible. Use a yellow or green bulb or something so you can tell easily when it turns on in addition to the normal red light.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
Are the wires long enough to just drop the thing underneath the front of the center console next to the shifter area? Or else you could clip, strip, and extend the wires to make it fit wherever you want... or if you want it visible extend them to the blank panel where a tape player would go between the two knobs on the stock HU

1 - 7 of 7 Posts