Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd pass this on, according to best buy it is illegal to install a remote start in to a 5spd since you have to bypass the clutch. The only ones that can be installed in a standard without bypassing the clutch are the ones that best buy sells.

I am aware of how much b.s. this is. Just thought I'd warn fellow MTX owners.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Thats pretty funny as most new alarm have precautions for that. Look at any new viper system with remote start. Has neutral and parking brake that it checks before it will attempt start. On top of that you have to shut the car down a special way so it knows.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with both of you. I even tried explaining to them that a proper clutch bypass checks for the e-brake and neutral signal. They insisted it wasn't possible to do that. They explained that electronics fail, they explained how much of a liability it was, and at that point I gave up. I asked them about the remote starts they sell, which they explained to me did not require a clutch bypass. To which I said "Why does that sign over there say you guys do clutch bypasses?", they said it was old and out of date.

Admittedly I was pretty peeved since I had waited a month and a half for the appointment, taken an hour off work, and drove my car across town to have the work done. After that they called the manager, I voiced my concerns about the competency of their staff and how it was in fact impossible to install a remote start in to a MTX without bypassing the clutch. Long story short I was told they are right and I was given a $75 gift card and an apology for mis-informing me and to compensate me for my time in driving across town for this appointment.

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
its not illegal...

they wont do it because they dont wanna be held liable when you accidentally start your car and it jumps into something.

there are A LOT of shops that do MTX installs with a lot of different types of starters

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blam, I agree. I'm having the remote start done tomorrow elsewhere. I just couldn't believe BB's response.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I always figured that the kind of candy-ass who needed Remote Start were also too wussie to operate a clutch.

(oh dearie me, my car it is too hot or too cold for my delicate personage unless I have the AC or Heater running for 15 minutes before I get into it)

I guess I figured wrong.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
[quote author=antichrysler link=topic=136226.msg2934932#msg2934932 date=1234554862]
Just thought I'd pass this on, according to best buy it is illegal to install a remote start in to a 5spd since you have to bypass the clutch. The only ones that can be installed in a standard without bypassing the clutch are the ones that best buy sells.

I am aware of how much b.s. this is. Just thought I'd warn fellow MTX owners.
[/quote]

they proably just didnt want to do it cuz its more work. i work at fs, they guy at mine does it all the time (installs not tells ppl its illegal)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=Fritz T Coyote link=topic=136226.msg2945264#msg2945264 date=1234979404]
I always figured that the kind of candy-ass who needed Remote Start were also too wussie to operate a clutch.

(oh dearie me, my car it is too hot or too cold for my delicate personage unless I have the AC or Heater running for 15 minutes before I get into it)

I guess I figured wrong.
[/quote]

Do you live in a place where 8 months of the year it's -20C without the windchill? Or perhaps on a cold day when it gets to -40C without the windchill and your car won't start because the main relay is frozen? Or better yet, if the relay isn't frozen the engine is just too cold to start and you're surrounded by chevy driving ******** whose vehicles are always breaking down and they hog tow trucks so you have to wait between 6 and 24 hours for the first available truck?

If you answered no to any of the above questions, shut the hell up.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=devil2k link=topic=136226.msg2947209#msg2947209 date=1235059440]
Why didn't you try Mazda Regina? lol
[/quote]
same reason you stopped going there lol
if they want to void my warranty they have to find me first

·
Registered
77 Posts
[quote author=antichrysler link=topic=136226.msg2945538#msg2945538 date=1234985123]

If you answered no to any of the above questions, shut the hell up.
[/quote]

When I was living in Vermont we used to see some winter. But my old Chevy pickup had a block heater and a hand choke. As long as I remembered to keep the sombitch plugged in overnight (and buying hotstart and drygas by the case) I managed to avoid needing a tow truck (which I could not afford anyway) through a few winters.

·
Registered
778 Posts
thats funny, when i worked at BB (car audio dept) we sold those remote starts that would work for manuals and when people tried to buy them and get them installed by us, i told them we werent allowed to do it. they would get all upset and start complaining. :lol:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=Fritz T Coyote link=topic=136226.msg2947663#msg2947663 date=1235068091]
When I was living in Vermont we used to see some winter. But my old Chevy pickup had a block heater and a hand choke. As long as I remembered to keep the sombitch plugged in overnight (and buying hotstart and drygas by the case) I managed to avoid needing a tow truck (which I could not afford anyway) through a few winters.
[/quote]

Oh, well my mistake; you're from Vermont. Unless I'm mistaken the coldest normal temperature in Vermont is about -4C. It must be hard to endure those kind of extreme temperatures. If you had to plug your vehicle in at -4, or even -20, it wouldn't last a winter up here.

If I walked out to my car and it was only -4C anytime in the winter I'd go inside, put away my winter jacket and put on a bunny hug. -4C doesn't begin to describe cold.

·
Registered
122 Posts
[quote author=blam link=topic=136226.msg2935050#msg2935050 date=1234557962]
its not illegal...

they wont do it because they dont wanna be held liable when you accidentally start your car and it jumps into something.

there are A LOT of shops that do MTX installs with a lot of different types of starters
[/quote]

That really sums up this entire thread. That is all you need to know.

[quote author=antichrysler link=topic=136226.msg2948226#msg2948226 date=1235081238]
[quote author=Fritz T Coyote link=topic=136226.msg2947663#msg2947663 date=1235068091]
[/quote]

Oh, well my mistake; you're from Vermont. Unless I'm mistaken the coldest normal temperature in Vermont is about -4C. It must be hard to endure those kind of extreme temperatures. If you had to plug your vehicle in at -4, or even -20, it wouldn't last a winter up here.

If I walked out to my car and it was only -4C anytime in the winter I'd go inside, put away my winter jacket and put on a bunny hug. -4C doesn't begin to describe cold.
[/quote]

Lol, -4C is balmy up here. I see people riding motor bikes during the day.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I thought it's illegal to idle your car for more than few minutes. But I happened to see a Regina Police car idling outside of the Tim Hortons on Broad street for longer than 10 minutes (at least) today. No, the cops were inside having coffee and donuts with the engine running outside. Let me guess, those crown victorias don't come with diesels do they? :lol:

If it wasn't so damn cold I would've filmed the whole thing with my cellphone and put it on youtube or something.

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I worked at the dealership in Calgary, we had a company install all our starters, who installed them in everything. Not so much as a warning about the mtx. The only issue I had were the weird things you had to do with their starters in order to arm them.

You can get the starter done, you just have to try somewhere else.

·
Registered
77 Posts
[quote author=antichrysler link=topic=136226.msg2948226#msg2948226 date=1235081238]

[/quote]

-4C (no, not cold) I am guessing that you got that temperature from a Travel and Tourism website. They tend to select the temperatures in Burlington, down near the lake.

-20F were the types of overnight temperatures we used to see in the high country.
(that would be in the -30C neighborhood)

(Key word: Overnight)
Come daybreak it would be a balmy -10F (-20C) and thanks to the block heater the old beast would fire right up.

Of course back in those days only the yuppies had the fancy remote starters, us working stiffs had extension cords.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
over here in IL, it was -15F to -20F for 3-4 days straight.. and my baby had no problem firing up, whether it was morning on the way to work.. or on the way back from work...
except for the heating fan being sorta weird and making super weird noise.. clutch pedal being stuck in the floor... and gear lever not wanting to move :) its all good :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.