Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Christmas evening, I made a U-turn on a dark road, and my right front wheel went over the edge of a little ditch which I didn't see, and I lost traction. Some people gathered around, and we tried to push it out... and it slid the rest of the way in. The right side of my front plastic bumper got kinked out of shape when it nudged into the dirt. I needed a tow truck to get out of the ditch.

And the tow truck driver told me they have a guy at their shop named Murphy who could fix the bumper for far less than body shop rates. And he did! He used heat to bend the bumper right back to its original shape, replaced the broken attachment clips, and then matched the paint, and it seems good as new. He charged only $250.

Why does almost nobody do real repair work like that anymore, instead of replacing everything? I guess it's insurance companies that push the uniformity of doing straight replacements... but there must be lots of times when people like me who realize that it might cost far less in the long run if your insurance company doesn't cover your damage from minor accidents.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
True it costs a lot, but in this day an age, a lot has to do with liability. Plus, people have to make a living, so some shops charge more and work more.

In some cases, the Styrofoam insert gets damaged, then the car's ability to absorb a frontal impact could be reduced. If something did happen, then the guy that didn't replace the foam could be at fault.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=phan95 link=topic=66743.msg1147272#msg1147272 date=1168659764]
How bad was the damage on your bumper?
Same thing happened to me except it was my rear bumper.

Link http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=65041.msg1115332#msg1115332
[/quote]

Mine was maybe less bad than that. It popped loose from its clips along the top edge at the right hand side, and it was creased in near the right hand fog light.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The only thing I couldn't fix was the paint that is scraped. =(
I'm just gonna have to live with this for awhile until I have the money to get someone to repaint my bumper.
PS $250 was a good deal. I spent 3hrs just taking the bumper off and fixing the dent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts