Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction. I need to change my belts (think there are 2 on our car) and the tensioner. Can anyone provide me with a part # for the belts? Some sites have them listed as the serpintine belt and the AC belt. Other say there is no serpintine belt but an AC belt and a water pump belt. Can anyone clear this up for me? What helps am I looking for? Also, I know the factory tensioner pulley is plastic I heard that the Goodyear tensioner for our car has a metal pulley. Does anyone have the part number for this? My car is starting to make a chirping noise like the belt is slipping a little bit till the car is warmed up then it goings away. Wife's car does it when it is really cold outside so I figured I'd change the cars belts at the same time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
There's an AC belt and a serpentine belt. The serpentine belt drives the alternator and water pump, so I suppose one could call it a water pump belt.

Chirping is usually caused by the tensioner pulley bearing, and sometimes the alternator bearing. I wouldn't personally change the belts if they are not the problem and if they appear to be in good shape. My buddy still has the original belts on his '87 Suburban with over 200k miles!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Here is a link to purchase a tensioner. I bought one from them last year cause mine failed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZD...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_610wt_1197
And with your belts you had better get them from the dealer cause you will need a tool that is included with the AC belt purchase to get it on. One more thing, make sure you put the serpentine belt on first cause you can't get it back off without cutting the ac belt off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I changed my Tensioner to a Gates. Build quality on the Gates was much better compared to the one I removed. It also had a metal wheel while the one I removed had a plastic wheel.

On my belts I used Goodyear Gator belts.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=Diethaus link=topic=135309.msg2939948#msg2939948 date=1234791927]
I changed my Tensioner to a Gates. Build quality on the Gates was much better compared to the one I removed. It also had a metal wheel while the one I removed had a plastic wheel.

On my belts I used Goodyear Gator belts.
[/quote]

Would you happen to know the part number of the gates tensioner?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
[quote author=Diethaus link=topic=135309.msg2939948#msg2939948 date=1234791927]
[/quote]

Gates' quality is much much worse then they appear. I dealt with them day after day for a while, thousands at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts