Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and thought this link might give some of you not only assistance in choosing which aftermarket sway bar to purchase, and why, but also help breakdown the purpose of the sway bar itself. I saw quite a few people having a hard time deciding which bar to go with, so hopefully this will inform you a bit more and help you make the right decision. After all, who wants to spend money on something and not get the most out of it, right?

Check it out!! :)
click me

EDIT: My fault, fellas. Fixed.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
i agree, im highly considering the racing beat rear sway bar myself.

along those lines, anybody know how well the racing beat rsb will complement STOCK suspension?? i want to get some springs in the future but cant afford everything now..

thanks (sorry if this is off topic, but it kinda isnt :p)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I think the RB bar may be a little much for an otherwise stock suspension. I would go with an adjustable like the Progress. On the stiff setting it is nice and predictable. If you add springs, the Progress will still work fine and if you change your goals for your car, you can always sell off the Progress and pick up a Racing Beat one. Just my .02. FWIW, that is the approach I took with my car and I am glad I did.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
[quote author=*txmica3* link=topic=66843.msg1147957#msg1147957 date=1168715487]
i agree, im highly considering the racing beat rear sway bar myself.

along those lines, anybody know how well the racing beat rsb will complement STOCK suspension?? i want to get some springs in the future but cant afford everything now..

thanks (sorry if this is off topic, but it kinda isnt :p)
[/quote]

SCI's was designed to go with the stock front sway. Ive got stock springs on, and his rear bar, feels alot stiffer. Pretty impressive improvement for the price paid.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the sizes of the bars you guys are mentioning?

Whiteline? SCI? Progress? Racing Beat? Any other ones?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The Progress rear bar is 22mm, Racing Beat is 27mm. I am not sure about the Whiteline rear bar, but the front one by them is 22mm.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=ag bullet link=topic=66843.msg1148478#msg1148478 date=1168744513]
I would go with the RB bar then.
[/quote]

:werd:, thanks.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
hey thanks guys for the response (almost forgot about this thread).
so will it be BAD to get the rb rsb with stock suspension? or would it just be overkill...?
im asking because i want to get springs by summer (i need a job, cant afford it now), something mild, maybe a pro-kit.

basically if im dropping the money into a rsb, i want something close to top of the line. the rb isnt going to kill my ass on a daily driver will it?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote author=*txmica3* link=topic=66843.msg1148694#msg1148694 date=1168753203]
hey thanks guys for the response (almost forgot about this thread).
so will it be BAD to get the rb rsb with stock suspension? or would it just be overkill...?
im asking because i want to get springs by summer (i need a job, cant afford it now), something mild, maybe a pro-kit.

basically if im dropping the money into a rsb, i want something close to top of the line. the rb isnt going to kill my ass on a daily driver will it?
[/quote]

tx, did you get to read the link up top? Personally, I'd suggest really trying to understand all of it before you make your purchase.

The rear sway bar is not there to make the ride any more significantly stiff than your current state. Stiffness is not the RSB's purpose. Sway Bars are meant to aid in rotational balance of a vehicle in motion. Can't confuse the purpose with the theoretical one of "stress bars".

IIRC, the front sway bar is, like, 20 mm? And the rear is...somewhere near 20, like 21mm? Please correect me if I'm wrong.

With your stock suspension, a supposed 7mm jump (RB RSB) will make a HUGE difference in road behavior, in which your rear end will be much more happy to "fish out" or kick out under variable circumstances. Now, this can be a good thing, IF that's what you want and it suits the ride you're looking for. BUT for someone not expecting it, the ride can be a pretty dangerous one on public roads.

In general, a 1mm jump will make a very noticable difference.

Think of sway bars as a COMPLEMENT to your ENTIRE suspension system. In other words, there is no "best" bar out there. One should look to get a rear bar that will do what you want it to. It's all preference, based on one's purpose for the vehicle.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[quote author=CrAzY_ChInOz link=topic=66843.msg1148711#msg1148711 date=1168754285]
i am going to get br rear but now im thinking twice. i have stock suspension.

i am afraid of my rear end sliding around.
i think i should save up a little to get the whole set so i have the neutral feeling and less roll all around.

wat do you guys think?
[/quote]

Depending on the size of the stock rear bar, I'll suggest a Progress 22mm bar before anything else. Like someone mentioned, upgrade in small steps, and work your way up as you seem fit.

Unsurprisingly, like the Focus, the front sway bar is a b!tch to swap out, so many have gone the suspension route avoiding the front unless it was really something that would help make the handling what they wanted. For most on the street (and occasional auto-x), a rear bar swap will be a great move in the right direction. And as your skills progress, a front bar swap could help with your overall setup and goal.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=66843.msg1148470#msg1148470 date=1168744414]
And what if we've got springs, and soon to be coils (fingers crossed)? RB or Progress?
[/quote]

I would personally suggest starting off small and working your way up. If the Progress doesn't seem to offer enough balance when rotating the vehicle, then you'lll know that a bigger (RB, perhaps) bar will be more fitting to the ride you want.

EDIT: Keep in mind, incremental up-sizing (i.e. going from 20mm to 21mm, or 20mm to 22mm) will make for very obvious & noticable changes in ride behavior!!! Making dramatic size changes will make for dramatic (and perhaps unpredicatable on unsuspecting drivers) changes in vehicle behavior.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I don't think that a strut tower brace is going to do anything for you other than look pretty. I felt zero change with mine, but it looks cool.

That being said, spring for one of the smaller bars. The adjustability of the progress is nice. You can try it on the low setting and when you get used to it, pop it into the firm. I like my RB bar, but I have to be really attentive to how I load/unload the rear suspension under cornering. Something that wasn't much of a concern with the smaller bar. I have the Tein H-tech springs and just added the Koni Yellows. Hopefully the increased damping will keep the barck planted a little better and help the bar do its job. The other part of me, may just go back to a Progress of MS Bar. I am going to see how things feel at my firt few events and go from there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts