Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone new to the forums, sorry if this isn't the right place. I am not a mechanic by any means but I know my way around a car. My 2008 Mazda 3 S 2.3l 5 Speed, has just had both cv axles replaced, new front wheel bearrings, new sway bars, new tires, (does need new brakes badly) I have a bearring or grinding sound which almost distinctively sounds like it's coming from the right front side, only when I'm low in speed 0-35(40) after that the sound almost goes completely away, I took it to a shop they said the new cv axle on the drivers side was no good so I replaced it once again, yet the sound remains as well. I'm not sure what this sound is other than a failing carrier bearing, or differential, clutch is somewhat new, and transmission seems pretty strong although there is a prominent sound going into 3rd, kind of like a gun being cocked. If you have any ideas what this could be or if there is something Mazdas posses that I don't know please help a brutha out, thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the sound has been there since I've owned the car! I'm just at a loss at what it could be, I'd like to just not think about it and say eh, it probably ain't nothing but then it turn around and take a crap on me at 70mph on the highway

·
Registered
370 Posts
... does need new brakes badly...
That has to be a possibility for noise - perhaps a nearly seized (barely moving) piston, which causes high spots on the rotor to make contact with whatever is remaining of the pads. But regardless of the noise issue, the brakes would have been the first thing I replaced (i.e. before all of the other stuff you listed).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That has to be a possibility for noise - perhaps a nearly seized (barely moving) piston, which causes high spots on the rotor to make contact with whatever is remaining of the pads. But regardless of the noise issue, the brakes would have been the first thing I replaced (i.e. before all of the other stuff you listed).
Makes sense definitely could be it, I also noticed that when I'm not in gear like neutral the sound dissappears, and when pressing the gas or letting off the gas the sound is prominent at lower speeds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was the clutch replaced when you've owned it or was it done just before you bought it?
Before I owned it, by a "mechanic" my wife's brother. I just notice that when I am in gear and press on the gas or let off the gas it makes the grinding sound, also if ease into the pedal and not slam it down the sound is very soft, when you press hard down on it and get above 3-4k rpm you hear it, and sometimes when coming out of first I feel like a dribble (maybe in the cv axle) and it kinda shakes the car, I am thinking differentials, but i am really unsure what it could be besides the transmission gears. Shop said everything was fine as far as wheel bearring and cv axles go, the brakes do need replaced but they still have quite a bit of stopping power

·
Registered
14 MZ3
12 Posts
First of all, I'm just as you, not a mechanic, but I've dealt with enough stuff on my own.

I can only add two things to this.

One, make sure that transmission was filled with Mazda fluid or best identical equivalent. Had a friend with a Speed3 drain and fill trans last summer with equivalent oil weight (think he used redline) and within a week or so experienced slight clunking and gear notchiness with what sounded like a brake pad slightly dragging at low speeds, coming from right front. I called BS on this, thought he caught a small pebble and told him to inspect brakes and not worry. But he eventually gave up and went to Mazda after inspecting, cleaning brakes. Mazda refilled trans with OEM fluid and all symptoms gone. Something to do with the diff.

Two, maybe do more diagnosis. Have help while doing this, safely, run the car through a gear or two while it's lifted off the ground. Again, safely, it's easy to become comfortable and relaxed about this dangerous situation while trying to hunt down the noise as you're moving in and out from underneath car while it's in gear.

That's all I got. I wanted to say carrier bearing as soon as you said it goes away in neutral but the more I read, I kind of doubt it. Hope it's just brakes and not a old or generic throw out bearing that's in there. Hate this kind of stuff. GL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all, I'm just as you, not a mechanic, but I've dealt with enough stuff on my own.

I can only add two things to this.

One, make sure that transmission was filled with Mazda fluid or best identical equivalent. Had a friend with a Speed3 drain and fill trans last summer with equivalent oil weight (think he used redline) and within a week or so experienced slight clunking and gear notchiness with what sounded like a brake pad slightly dragging at low speeds, coming from right front. I called BS on this, thought he caught a small pebble and told him to inspect brakes and not worry. But he eventually gave up and went to Mazda after inspecting, cleaning brakes. Mazda refilled trans with OEM fluid and all symptoms gone. Something to do with the diff.

Two, maybe do more diagnosis. Have help while doing this, safely, run the car through a gear or two while it's lifted off the ground. Again, safely, it's easy to become comfortable and relaxed about this dangerous situation while trying to hunt down the noise as you're moving in and out from underneath car while it's in gear.

That's all I got. I wanted to say carrier bearing as soon as you said it goes away in neutral but the more I read, I kind of doubt it. Hope it's just brakes and not a old or generic throw out bearing that's in there. Hate this kind of stuff. GL
I appreciate your response! And I will look into all of this asap, I'll report back asap!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone new to the forums, sorry if this isn't the right place. I am not a mechanic by any means but I know my way around a car. My 2008 Mazda 3 S 2.3l 5 Speed, has just had both cv axles replaced, new front wheel bearrings, new sway bars, new tires, (does need new brakes badly) I have a bearring or grinding sound which almost distinctively sounds like it's coming from the right front side, only when I'm low in speed 0-35(40) after that the sound almost goes completely away, I took it to a shop they said the new cv axle on the drivers side was no good so I replaced it once again, yet the sound remains as well. I'm not sure what this sound is other than a failing carrier bearing, or differential, clutch is somewhat new, and transmission seems pretty strong although there is a prominent sound going into 3rd, kind of like a gun being cocked. If you have any ideas what this could be or if there is something Mazdas posses that I don't know please help a brutha out, thank you!
I had same kind of noise and also thought it was cv joint which I needlessly replaced..... it was abroken /worn out motor mount on passenger side $30 part and twenty minutes to replace ! it is right under the plastic reservoir box.easy peasy dude.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.