Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my new ride, an '02 S2000 Spa Yellow Pearl. The 2.0L with the 9000rpm redline.
beans2000

Modifications:

[tr][td]v[/td][td]EXHAUST[/td][td]HKS Hi-Power Catback[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]v[/td][td]WHEELS[/td][td]Volk Racing TE-37 Mercury Silver 17x7.5 & 17x9.0 [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]v[/td][td]LUGS[/td][td]Rays Short Black[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]v[/td][td]TIRES[/td][td]Bridgestone RE-01R 225/45R17 & 255/40R17[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]v[/td][td]LOWER X-BRACE[/td][td]Spoon[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]v[/td][td]CAI[/td][td]Spoon-replica fiberglass snorkel[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]v[/td][td]HEADUNIT[/td][td]Pioneer P6900UB + Modfry DCI[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]v[/td][td]SPEAKERS[/td][td]Polk Audio DB651 door and rears[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]v[/td][td]MISC[/td][td]K&N Drop-In Filter; JDM LHD Mirror; AP2 Radio Door; Modifry Camera mount[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
If shit breaks/To-Do List:[tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]TEST PIPE[/td][td]Berk (still deciding to install or not)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]FRONT STRUT BAR[/td][td]Spoon[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]REAR STRUT BAR[/td][td]J's Racing[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]ETD[/td][td]Spoon + Strut Bar[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]CLUTCH[/td][td]Spoon or ACT or Toda[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]FLYWHEEL[/td][td]Spoon or Comptech[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]COILOVERS[/td][td]KW or JIC[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]SC?[/td][td]Comptech aftercooled?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]MISC[/td][td]AP2 center console[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]FRONT END[/td][td]CWest N1 v2 or ASM[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td]HARDTOP[/td][td]Spoon[/td][/tr]

vs '04 Mazdaspeed Miata impressions:
Shift feel and acceleration feels like an MSM, very mechanical and rough during city driving. Freeway up/downshifting is great with the s2k. Miata has lots of grip and a hint of understeer during turns while my s2k is a bit tail happy- something I have to learn to exploit later on. I thought the steering on the MSM was precise and quick, boy was I wrong, this one definitely beats that. My only gripe is that the cabin sounds like you're in a u-haul truck while accelerating from a stop; the MSM however is very loud due to the exhaust, which gets quite unbearable on the freeway. A/C is way better on the S2k.

vs my old '04 3s sedan
Hitting those Botts bumps on the freeway feels like my 3's when I had my pro-kit + RX8 wheels on and the tire pressure set high... but a little more harsh. I have to make a conscious effort to miss as much of them as possible, even with the 16" wheels. Thanks to the 3's smooth shifter, I've been spoiled and have to "re-learn" shifting on the s2k. This one has to be either revved high or you have to shift quickly or else you'll get a nice nudge. The s2k has a cable driven TB, so throttle response is instantaneous, which means very quick downshifting :) Sweet spot on the freeway on the 3 was 80mph with all my mods; with the s2k, i can happily cruise at 70 and it still feels like it's pulling stronger than the 3. Could be the weight and Cd playing a big part? Having the A/C and a passenger on the 3 feels slow-- not the case with the s2k, which is really surprising. The interior sucks and I can't find a place to put anything. The worst thing is the HU and speakers. Anything that comes out of the speakers sound like it's an MP3 being played by my cell. It's that bad. That will have to go.

Future plans:
Several baseline dyno runs of course :) I'm glad that bolt-ons do little on the already tuned FC20. The money I save will go to tires and some Volk TE37s. Soon, I gotta take out the exhaust resonator(s) and fiddle with the intake resonator or get an intake to make it sound a little more aggressive. I'm not too sure why honda made the engine so quiet. I'll possibly get a Comptech supercharger kit down the line.

Overall:
Big blind spots when you have the top up, so you'd really have to be careful if you're the kind of driver who changes 2 lanes over. Also, backing up safely is a bit of a challenge due to the small "window" on the soft top. I like the on-off vtec. I can cruise normally shifting at 3-4k during normal driving, then wind it up on the freeway.

CURRENT MOD: VOLK RACING TE37 + RAYS LUGS

HKS HI-POWER CAT-BACK

REPLACED RADIO DOOR TO '04

COMPTECH STRUT BAR SOLD

"Old" pics:
I apologize for the all amber lighting. It was way too windy to be fixing the settings on my camera and some people were watching me take pics :?

Here are my stock and K&N drop-in dynos.

Looks like my stock run is around: [email protected]/[email protected] With the new filter it went up by a little bit to [email protected]/[email protected] with the whole graph gaining 1-2hp/tq throughout while running richer. I'm not sure how fast the ECU adjusts, but I was only able to do 2 runs with the mod. I drove to the shop with the stock filter to get a real baseline. The drop-in sounded throatier at the lower rpms but got REALLY loud when it hit VTEC.

The readings kept cutting out just after 7k then picking up just before peak. They tried reading from the other coils but it just kept spiking. The same thing happens with the RX8 dyno files. The HP readings are more consistent if I change the bottom to MPH instead of RPM- which could be why some magazine's s2k dyno tech show MPH instead of RPM.

I wanted to request a run without the intake box lid and the hood down to see how heat soak really affects the filter, but I was already over the 3-run limit :( I'll try that next time for giggles.

I'm planning to pick up the HKS Hi-Power dual. It sounds as good as the Comptech and 2/3 the price, but it's probably just as heavy if not heavier due to the extra long resonator in the back of it. The Veilside teardrop arrived (4lbs total shipping weight) but I'm having second thoughts on installing it cause I still need to find a shop that can weld Ti. I have a good idea on how to repair it with a stainless sleeve to keep costs down though... still undecided on that.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Re: Bean's new ride: Honda S2000

nice!

if you do mod the car, a piece of advice. . .

don't touch the suspension. Anyone who has tried has ended up screwing it up. . .

Nice color, nice year, I'd say just do wheels, and get the hardtop for it, it looks SWEET with it and you're set, no need to go overboard with an already very nice (and high strung) car.

·
Registered
223 Posts

They are nice.. I test drove one last night. :p

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

Awesome car and awesome write up! Can't wait to see these Volks - what color are you getting?

I'm thinking about audio changes in mine, too. Maybe the JVC KD-AVX2 and speakers. I don't really want an amp or sub because space is at a premium.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts

Good luck with the S2K bean.....you can now get all sorts of mods and goodies like carbon fiber parts and Jackson Racing and Spoon parts!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks ruby, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'll also be pm'ing you since you have honda experience [while i have none] :) I really miss the 3's steering wheel audio controls- they were absolutely perfect. Andrew, does the s2k have enough clearance for the Pioneer AVIC-N1? Gotta find one that works with the audio controls.

I might just get Volk's regular silver. I've seen some yellow s2ks around here with gun metal or black TE37s they look really nice.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts

awww noooo bean is finally leaving.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

I don't think any large, flip-out/motorized screen really fits our car. The stereo bay is recessed from the dash too far so the screen would hit the dash. The JVC unit I was talking about is supposedly tough to install because it's slightly oversized. Some people can't close the radio door all the way.

Most people who want a full screen end up cutting the dash. But there's someone (darkknight?) in the electonics section of s2ki who's selling a screen/mold replacement for the rearview mirror, including a rearview camera. Found it: http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=450477

Have you considered Takata Green Volks? :)

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I like FF2skip's.
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130106&st=150

Takata green? a little too Corky Romano for me.

Don't worry King, I'll still be spending most of my time on this forum than anywhere else. Someone needs to help noobs with their CAI and MAF problems :p

I thought it was just me that has a problem with the clutch. My uncle tried out the car today and he said it was very stiff. Also he was holding it on 1st on one stoplight. I go, wtf are you doing?! I checked s2ki and it looks like the stiff clutch is a common thing.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts

[quote author=thebeansoldier link=topic=66490.msg1141603#msg1141603 date=1168392421]
I like FF2skip's.
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130106&st=150

Takata green? a little too Corky Romano for me.

Don't worry King, I'll still be spending most of my time on this forum than anywhere else. Someone needs to help noobs with their CAI and MAF problems :p

I thought it was just me that has a problem with the clutch. My uncle tried out the car today and he said it was very stiff. Also he was holding it on 1st on one stoplight. I go, wtf are you doing?! I checked s2ki and it looks like a common thing.
[/quote]

Been there, done that :lol:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Nice car... my favorite roadster along with Miata. I demand daylight pics!! :lol:

I am surprised to hear about the shifter. The shifter in s2k I drove was as perfect as it gets. Very short and mechanical. 3's shifter is smooth, but gets notchy from 1st to 2nd and shifting while revving engine high.

I also agree with ruby, s2k's suspension is perfect for track and street. Just take it to track/autoX and have fun. ;)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

what made you want to get rid of the 3

·
Registered
13,894 Posts

[quote author=thebeansoldier link=topic=66490.msg1140295#msg1140295 date=1168346819]
I apologize for the all amber lighting. It was way too windy to be fixing the settings on my camera and some people were watching me take pics :?
[/quote]

akward... But nice car, congrats!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

Grats Bean! Very nice. :goodjob:

We're sure gonna miss all your R&D and those great write ups. Your work here was greatly appreciated!

Don't be a stranger.

J

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

[quote author=xgumsolesx link=topic=66490.msg1143691#msg1143691 date=1168487760]
s2k's are nice, but not when they're stock.
[/quote]
from what I've read, most of the bolt-ons only put 1-2hp/tq and a lot of the mods actually lose power. 2 of Import Tuner's S2000 techs only show about 4hp/tq gain for +$1000 of mods (only intake and exhaust) which is why I'm going to supercharger route. For now, I just need an NRG or S2X 4pt front strut brace and a K&N drop-in replacement filter then it's off to save for tires.

Gundal, I sometimes have to look for 3rd gear during an upshift.... not sure if it's a spring or what. So far the two other people I've seen drive the car (salesman and my uncle) also occasionally had to feel/look for 3rd gear. It could be that the throws are too short? I noticed it has to be gently flicked into 3rd for the smoothest upshift.

Sorry, I'm not gonna do any experimental stuff for the 3 for quite awhile. I'm pretty sure I won't be tinkering with my gf's 3 [when she gets it] besides installing the basic stuff.

Went to my local tuner shop to pick up my Hyper Rev book today and it looks like i found what my TE37s will look like. Looked amazing even behind glass... ~11lbs/per wheel. Stock is 17.5lbs f/18.6lbs r)

The only day pics I have right now are from the ones I took for my insurance stuff. CarMax decided it'd be cute to add 2 more holes to the already existing 4 plate holes. I'm still waiting for my 2 plugs from the dealership and a got some touch up paint to clean up what CarMax ruined.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts

I hope you mean thats the STYLE of TE37's you like, cuz those are 4x100's!

and yes, a lot of bolt ons will lose power for you in an s2000, its the same size engine as the base 3, making 92 hp more, its pretty well tuned from the factory. . .

1 - 20 of 379 Posts