Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....so i went through the carwash the other day....
....speakers started short circuiting.....
long story shot mazda doesn't have the normal water runoff trough thing that most cars have...the stock speakers in the mazda have a little plastic roof over them to keep them from getting wet, if you are going to put in speakers then either find a way of keeping that roof or buy a full cover to protect your speakers, i opened up the door and mine were soaked, i was not pleased....im lucy there wasn't any serious or longer term damage....so just a warning...if you are replacing your speakers protect them from water damage./

:)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
so the stock speakers are semi protected by a plastic thing? haha wtf..thats weak!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for the heads up - now how do you protect them against water damage? I haven't had the door panel off yet (too cold out) so I don't know how they have the stock speakers protected. Will these "covers" fit over a larger aftermarket speaker?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I had a similar config in my CRX. They come with a 1/4 plastic dome at the top. If the replacement speaker has a large magnet, you might have to remove or cut the mold to make it fit.

Now I'm even more worried about replacing though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im sure i probably could have kept the 1/2 cover from the stock speakers, but im @ rez now so the stock speakers are @ my home. Instead i bought a cup for doing just that protecting against water damage....its just like a plastic bowl, any shop should have them....that and im not sure how much i would trust expensive speakers to the little water ledge lol, id rather have them sealed as much as possible. and yes 'semi-protected' is the word lol. but yeah just tohught id let everyone know beacuse mine were literally dripping wet
not a pretty sight on brand new speakers. so i guess just by an aftermarket cover for them from your shop or fashion a little raincoat ofr them or try and keep the stock lids but just do something if you are going to switch them out :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
So does this mean that if the speakers are kept stock there's no need to worry about them getting damaged (at least, not to the point where you're kept up at night?)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
nah, the already sound like crap!! ;)

You can buy foam baffles just about anywhere - I think they run around $10 per pair, and in some cases will make it sound even better.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yeah, that's my recommendation - the Crutchfield ones.

But anyone that takes their vehicle to a pro shop would be able to get the same thing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Gary, which speakers did ya get?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newbie here..
just got my 3 this weekend... and agree that the speakers..ahem.. are lacking... Especially compared to my husbands Focus SVT's Audiophile system. Im wondering, if I replace the front door speakers with some that have better bass response (and not bother with any of the other spkrs) will that do the trick to add some "lows" where it so deperately needs it? Also, any reccomendations on speakers themselves?
Good to know the advice on making sure the speakers have an umbrella for the rain. :) I wonder how that sort of runoff system affects rusting, if at all??

·
Registered
2,756 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
I know I am late to the party. Just a word on using the foam baffles: make sure you cut holes into them so that the driver vents properly. Otherwise, the small airspace offered by the baffle will greatly diminish the bass response, and the flexible nature of the baffle will also do weird things to the transient response.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Actually Lee, I think that it depends, in part, on the design of the woofer cone. If it allows for proper excursion, then the baffle should do just fine without the hole.

Now, if you baffled the stock speakers, it would probably go nuts...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts