Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this subwoofer before? Novelty subwoofer shaped and designed to look like a bottle of Nitrous by Bazooka. It seems to have good stats and not just getting along on novelty alone. Buddy of mine has one in his trunk but haven't had a lot of opportunities to hear it.

Anyone know about Bazooka products, are they good?

They have 3 models, the NOS6, NOS8 and NOS8A. Anyone knowing a bit about car stereo's and such want to give input on which would be best for the trunk of a MZ3? (Obviously I know bigger is usually better when it comes to these things, but in a car the size of a MZ3, it might get a bit out of hand to go too over the top)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had one for my 2002 Civic Si (8") and took it out a week ago when I got my new Mazda 3. All I can tell you is that it sounds as good as any 8" SAS Bazooka and looks really cool. I had a 5-ch Alpine amp powering four 6 1/2" Rockford Fosgate speakers and the NOS subwoofer and it sounded pretty sweet. My sub and amp are for sale if you are interested, send me an e-mail or post another reply here, I can answer andy questions you may have.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the 6" since I am of the opinion that 8" is the minimum to qualify for a true subwoofer.

Personally, I'd go for a 10" in a small sealed box, but that's just me.

Bazooka is okay, I guess. It's relatively cheap compared to other pre-assembled subwoofers. You should be able to get better results buying a raw driver and putting it in a box but there is some work involved in that to do it correctly.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
You guys have peaked my interests.

I agree that an ideal setup would be a seperate driver (at least 10") and box, but the NOS Bazooka gets high marks when it comes to the novelty factor, especially since I am keeping the stock HU.

ZoomZoomMaximus, do you have a hatchback or sedan? How did you mount the Bazooka? I guess it interferes with the "false floor" in the trunk?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Bazooka.. well... is good for the price.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Okay, now that that is out of my system... The Bazooka NOS tubs is UGLY as sin... And HUGE.

Now, if you want to know something that's tight, small, and compact - try this:

- Buy a 6" bazooka, non-powered tube.
- Remove the 6" woofer from the tube enclosure.
- Purchase a Kicker SS 6" (125 watt) from your local dealer.
- Install the Kicker (edges will be a bit wider, but still 100% seal)

Now just get a decent amp that can bridge mono at 75-150 watts, macke sure you can tweak the crossover range, and you have a nice unit. I used one in my CRX for a while.

Eventually I replaced it with the 8" Kicker Comp box, removed the Kicker sub, and replaced it with an Eclipse. That was even tighter, but more expensive in the long run (only another $100).

·
Registered
31 Posts
nos

nos subwoofer is ubercheezy looking. A basic black, powered sub looks more uniform and classy, fits in well with the dark surfaces in the hatch. thats what i'm thinking of doing anyways.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
OK, I've decided against going this route. I didn't know that the Bazooka was a lot larger than a real NOS bottle.

Maybe I'll pull out my old Pioneer spare tire subwoofer! :D

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Okay, now that that is out of my system... The Bazooka NOS tubs is UGLY as sin... And HUGE.

Now, if you want to know something that's tight, small, and compact - try this:

- Buy a 6" bazooka, non-powered tube.
- Remove the 6" woofer from the tube enclosure.
- Purchase a Kicker SS 6" (125 watt) from your local dealer.
- Install the Kicker (edges will be a bit wider, but still 100% seal)

Now just get a decent amp that can bridge mono at 75-150 watts, macke sure you can tweak the crossover range, and you have a nice unit. I used one in my CRX for a while.

Eventually I replaced it with the 8" Kicker Comp box, removed the Kicker sub, and replaced it with an Eclipse. That was even tighter, but more expensive in the long run (only another $100).
Speaking of Kicker.. i have a set of 6.5" R6c long-throw woofers that are dying for a new home. I thought about building my first SS box for them but I dont have time.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
How much? It's temping, but I'm still in reserve mode right now...

That's and I'm still deciding if I want to go with a kicker or rockford fosgate system in the car -- even more confusing when you already have a $500 Phoenix Gold amp (I just don't like their components though).

·
Registered
139 Posts
DJ Spencer said:

That's and I'm still deciding if I want to go with a kicker or rockford fosgate system in the car -- even more confusing when you already have a $500 Phoenix Gold amp (I just don't like their components though).

*cough* ROCKFORD *cough*

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Sub amp? Go with HiFonics or US Acoustics. After years of Rockford installs, Im just not impressed with their price-to-watt ratio.

As for speakers, Ill ship em to ya for $100. Brand new might I add. Also got a set of MB Quarts 5 1/4" components but I gotta dig through my storage for that.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Bogie said:
DJ Spencer said:

*cough* ROCKFORD *cough*
Are you coughing for RF or against?? ;)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yeah, I'm considering to go balls out and just get some top notch Quarts, but then I'll have to get an additional amp to match wattage with a sub - that or seriously run all four front/back/left/right from two channels, and bridge mono the other.

Which, actually, I don't care that much if I do.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I would keep it 4 channel so the rears dont overpower the fronts.

You ever sat in a car that had 6x9" in the rear deck? Sounds like shit eh. Btw, what do you plan to go with? 10".. 12"?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Probably 10". Not really sure just yet. I'm not looking to blow anyone away, just sound nice.

Plus, I use every last inch of cargo, so a 12" might be a bit big for me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was coughing for Rockford. I have had rockford subs in two past vehicles of mine and both of them I was really impressed with all aspects of sound quality. Both setups used 10" rockfords and a rockford amp. the boxes were small so I still had a trunk when it was all done. I have never heard MB Quartz speakers so I dont have an opinion on those.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
If you have AAA (dont we all?) dump your spare tire and drop a single 10" in there.

IMO, Rockford is crap till you start spending the high dollars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts