Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Well recently, my battery has died twice. The first was after a weeklong vacation to Houston, and the second was today after my classes. It had been abnormally cold out (only 20 Degrees F, but cold for us Virginians), and my car wouldn't start. I'm not sure why this is happening. My lights were off, and I've got nothing running while the car is off. My amp is wired to my battery, and a 12v lead that powers my converter is also powered by it. Why would this be happening?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Pukey OEM batteries in our cars........not enough cranking power.....plus you need to check the level in the battery. It's not a self-contained battery.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the nubbish question, but what's a self contained battery? Should I be charging it every week or so?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Self contained just means it's a maintenance free battery....you don't need to check every so often and add distilled water. To me that's like old, old technology........come on Mazda....get modern!!!!! Just trying to save some $$$$$. How many new cars today use those old kind of batteries????? 000000!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you implying that all 3's have this battery? I've got an 07', and my buddy has an 05' hatch. His battery hasn't died yet.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm glad..........but you do need to check the water level in them periodically. Unfortunately :(

·
Registered
892 Posts
"Periodically" is like once per year or two years....

Madsoccer, what's happening is almost certainly not caused by the fact that mazda chose to use an older-style battery in our vehicles. It was 1*F here in Syracuse NY this morning, and my '06 started with absolutely no problem. I doubt very much that the cold weather is causing your problems.

In my estimation, either you have a defective battery (this is NOT a normal problem), a defective alternator, or something electrical is draining the battery. Of the three, I lean towards the last.
I would charge your battery, and disconnect your amp for a week and see if the problem re-occurs, then you will have a better idea what's wrong.

Good luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am 99.9% sure that the cold weather has nothing to do with your problem. It was -4 in cambridge, ma when i left for school this morning and the battery had no trouble getting the engine started. I, however, had trouble turning the steering wheel :lol:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok,

I thought it was something electrical as well. I'm pretty sure that it's not my footwell LEDs since those are only on when the key is in ignition. I've got a 2' Neon in the trunk that is operated by a switch and connected to my amp. I found that in the on position today, but not sure if it was accidentally turned on before or after the battery incident. I'll try unplugging the amp. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=68714.msg1188314#msg1188314 date=1170715081]
How many new cars today use those old kind of batteries????? 000000!
[/quote]

Porsche used low maintenance batteries on all their cars...
Audi/VW does as well....
Seem to remember a Lotus with low maintenance battery as well...
Thats 4 other car lines that use low maintenace batteries other than Mazda....

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
BTW my battery died this morning,1yr7mths and 23008 miles into ownership... Battery replaced at Mazda cost me $38

·
Registered
233 Posts
[quote author=TGM3 link=topic=68714.msg1189581#msg1189581 date=1170774084]
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=68714.msg1188314#msg1188314 date=1170715081]
How many new cars today use those old kind of batteries????? 000000!
[/quote]

Porsche used low maintenance batteries on all their cars...
Audi/VW does as well....
Seem to remember a Lotus with low maintenance battery as well...
Thats 4 other car lines that use low maintenace batteries other than Mazda....

[/quote]

My TSX uses the same kind of battery, I think it is the made in Japan thing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was having the same problem this week. It's in the single digits during the day and below zero at night in Chicago and I've got two amplifiers and other lighting mods in my car that have had a progressive drain on the OEM battery over an extended duration of time. I always knew I was probably putting more strain on the electrical system than I should've been, but the added ingredient of the freezing weather was the final straw. The battery just doesn't have the cold cranking power to deal with the added electrical load and the cold weather.

Went and got a Die Hard Gold at Sears and it's got balls. It cranks the starter motor good and hard without a struggle, unlike the OEM battery, which I've read has a CCA rating of around 350. The Die Hard Gold has 640 CCA and it shows. Anyone with electrical upgrades who lives in cold weather should get something in this CCA range if they're having battery issues. I went for the Die Hard Gold series because it was readily available, has a great warranty, and I needed a replacement fast. They're not nearly as much as those Optima Yellow Tops I was originally considering ... about half the price, actually. I paid $90 at retail. A bit steep, maybe, but I think you get what you pay for.

Only thing is, it's a bit bigger than the OEM and I also have a voltmeter, fusebox, and amplifier power cable inside the plastic battery housing, so it's a bit crowded in there. I had to leave the top cover off the battery and take the front side of that housing off to maneuver all my cables in and get a decent fit. My case is an exception though ... I went kinda overkill with my stereo install at that part of the electrical system. :) Otherwise, I think larger batteries fit just fine in there and most wouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah I had to jump start my car two days in a row now. I live in Chicago area its damn cold and my mazda doesn't like it. I'm considering buying a new battery. Thanks for the idea poster above me, I have to go to Sears and get one of those Die Hard's.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How often do you all check water levels? My car is only 6 months old. It died AGAIN after coming back from a 3 day trip to Canada.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=68714.msg1196210#msg1196210 date=1170989255]
My battery dies if I let the car sit for more than a few days in the cold. It just sucks.
[/quote]

If I let my '06 3 sit out for a few days in the cold, then it takes like 4-5 full seconds to turn on. All you hear is crank crank crank crank and then it turns on.

I took it to the dealer and he said that "it wasn't holding its charge".

After he changed the battery, it starts sub 1 second... unless its freaky cold and sits out there, then it still takes ~1 second.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts