Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i recently bought myself a Mazdaspeed 3 and am loving it. I had a few questions and hoped some of you experts can point me in the right direction. I wanted to put a BOV on my 3 and was wondering if 1) does it void warranty 2) whats a good company tthat i can order one from. hks? apexi? etc. also, i wanted to put a CAI on it but i read on some websites that once installed, the check engine light comes on if it isnt the mazda brand CAI. would it void the warranty if i got an aftermarket cai? if not does anyone one know which one doesnt turn the engine light on? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Congrats on the car! I bought an HKS BOV and am going to run it in recirc with the CAI from CPE. CPE swears their CAI will not set off a CEL and a couple of people on this forum have it installed, and have not reported the CEL's. I cant tell you whether or not it will void the warranty because I dont get my car for another couple of weeks, but I do feel if you plan on driving the car hard (which most of us do) than you will want a stronger BOV than just the plastic stock one. I know HKS is a solid brand, but Turbo XS ( i think thats the name) has a hybrid BOV that can be run in recirc and VTA at the same time...it is getting good reviews on the forums, so have a look. goodluck and if you get the parts and install them, dont forget to put up some vids for the rest of us who are still waiting!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
You probably can not go wrong with CP-E's CAI or the one from Mazda. I opted for Mazda's, but it is not here yet. That being said I think either one will look nice in the engine bay, give you a great sound(bov and turbo noises are nice), and produce a bit more power. Now if you are looking to run the BOV in VTA, it is probably not a good idea; seems it causes the car to run even richer than it already does(between shifts anyway). Not good for mpg, and can't see it being good for the internals over time. Unless you are planning on bumping boost in the near future I would think the BOV is satisfactory for now, even with the CAI. Better off spending the couple of hundred bucks on something else.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have the same two items on my car. HKS does make a nice BOV, but its a bit** to install. the CAI does not set off the CEL. it has a great sound also. when you let off teh gas it kinda sounds like one of those airplane toilets flushing!

HAHA

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I still don't get spending all that cash on BOV's before you have the parts to support it. It's like slapping a muffler on a stock exhaust. Sure you get some benefit, but really, could your money be better served elsewhere? As far as I know, none of the current aftermarket products offer a huge increase in boost, and the stock BOV should hold, plastic or not. I'm not saying an upgraded BOV is a bad idea, I just think it could be better served elsewhere.

·
Registered
612 Posts
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=69980.msg1218659#msg1218659 date=1171991184]
I still don't get spending all that cash on BOV's before you have the parts to support it. It's like slapping a muffler on a stock exhaust.[/quote]

+1 :lol:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I still don't get spending all that cash on BOV's before you have the parts to support it. It's like slapping a muffler on a stock exhaust. Sure you get some benefit, but really, could your money be better served elsewhere? As far as I know, none of the current aftermarket products offer a huge increase in boost, and the stock BOV should hold, plastic or not. I'm not saying an upgraded BOV is a bad idea, I just think it could be better served elsewhere.
[/quote][quote author=proclam link=topic=69980.msg1218683#msg1218683 date=1171992044]
I still don't get spending all that cash on BOV's before you have the parts to support it. It's like slapping a muffler on a stock exhaust.[/quote]

[/quote]

People will spend THEIR MONEY the way they want to spend THEIR MONEY. I dont agree with alot of mods people do which cost way more than a BOV, but I do not put out my 2 cents about it because it is THEIR MONEY. Let them spend it!! We dont get on your ass about the way you spend your money whether it be on drugs, booze, girls, or boys...so dont bother us about how we spend ours.

And have a look around the internet, there are many pictures of these shitty plastic factory BOV's blown apart. There is also alot of us on here who are patiently awaiting the release of the COBB AP, or the CPE tuning solution so we can add bigger hp and tq numbers...so consider buying a stronger BOV a proactive move as we will need more than plastic in the near future.

·
Registered
612 Posts
[quote author=proclam link=topic=69980.msg1218414#msg1218414 date=1171982425]
Unless you are planning on bumping boost in the near future I would think the BOV is satisfactory for now, even with the CAI. Better off spending the couple of hundred bucks on something else.
[/quote]

I don't think either MNDSM or myself came off anywhere near as aggressive or condescending as you did. He asked for opinions, and opinions he got. Just because we do not have the same take on the immediate need for a BOV does not mean we need to be spoken to as if we were aggressively putting either of you down. I understand its cold up there in the Great White North, but no need to take it out on any of us.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the Turboxs Hybrid BOV and Race Pipe on and they are both awesome mods for the money. Great gains and sounds from the Race Pipe. The BOV doesn't net any gains of course but looks much better than the stock BOV and sounds terrific :lol: Now I am just waiting for the MazdaSpeed CAI to come in :shock: I think you will be happy with either of these mods for your MS3.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=sturge-speed3 link=topic=69980.msg1218754#msg1218754 date=1171993900]
[/quote][quote author=proclam link=topic=69980.msg1218683#msg1218683 date=1171992044]

[/quote]

People will spend THEIR MONEY the way they want to spend THEIR MONEY. I dont agree with alot of mods people do which cost way more than a BOV, but I do not put out my 2 cents about it because it is THEIR MONEY. Let them spend it!! We dont get on your ass about the way you spend your money whether it be on drugs, booze, girls, or boys...so dont bother us about how we spend ours.

And have a look around the internet, there are many pictures of these shitty plastic factory BOV's blown apart. There is also alot of us on here who are patiently awaiting the release of the COBB AP, or the CPE tuning solution so we can add bigger hp and tq numbers...so consider buying a stronger BOV a proactive move as we will need more than plastic in the near future.

[/quote]

Calm down man. You act as if I raped your mother. All i'm saying is that I believe that until something like Accessport comes out, there are other solutions out there to get a cheap fix. My bottom line is going fast. I don't really care how I get there, only that I get there. My upgrade path has led me to believe that a BOV is not something I need at this time. Once I get a hold of a Cobb, that will likely change. I also believe that there are better BOV's out there than the HKS units, but i'm a former and still part-time DSM geek, so I don't subscribe to a lot of the conventional nonsense. You can do whatever you want. I'm cool with it.I just see that a lot of folks are saying OMG GET A BOV RIGHT NOW, and i'm saying you don't need it. We can have different opinions, we are human.

·
Registered
612 Posts
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=69980.msg1218876#msg1218876 date=1171997298]
I just see that a lot of folks are saying OMG GET A BOV RIGHT NOW, and i'm saying you don't need it. We can have different opinions, we are human.
[/quote]
:werd:

+1  :lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies everyone. The reason i was interested in a BOV is cause the stock one doesnt sound much like n e thing. And yes, i know we dont NEED one, but i do want my car to sound a bit more like turboish. I dont want it to sound obnoxious like some ppl.. where you can hear it from a mile away, but i would like to hear something other than nothing. Just a small mod i would like to install. Unlike many people in the forums, i can not afford many of the mods. SO i would like to start off with a few simple mods here and there before i start investing in bigger ones. Sorry if my post offended some people but it was not my intention. Just wanted the turbo sound more distinct is all.

Oh yea, and one more question... How much was the mazdaspeed cai? i called the mazdaspeed dealer today but they put me on hold for 40 min. i dont wanna go through that again.. Sorry for the questions, its been a while since i followed car modding and this is my first car actually worth fixing up.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=MS3 Sport link=topic=69980.msg1219372#msg1219372 date=1172010854]

Oh yea, and one more question... How much was the mazdaspeed cai? i called the mazdaspeed dealer today but they put me on hold for 40 min. i dont wanna go through that again.. Sorry for the questions, its been a while since i followed car modding and this is my first car actually worth fixing up.
[/quote]

Tonkin is running a GB @ 310 shipped to the US if you hustle.

·
Registered
612 Posts
All the more reason to save that BOV money for a bigger upgrade. You could probably still get in on the Tonkin group buy. Not to mention, all of the guys with the CP-E intakes say that it really livens up the stock BOV and you can hear the turbo spool a bit as well. No worries man, only one guy got bent out of shape and I am sure it was a misunderstanding.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree, bovs' do not serve much of a purpose besides RELEASING A SEXYA** SOUND...sorry...I turbocharged my 95 eclipse and bought a used Type-S bov for $100...didn't want to spend $200+ for it...check ebay or craigslist...save as much as you can

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Blow off valves are a waste of money at this point in modification. You've got a stock turbo, a stock intake, and a stock ECU that already runs rich.

A blow off valve will only cause the car to run even more rich during shifts and offers pretty much NO gains in terms of horsepower. At the STOCK boost levels we see now, there is no danger of the stock bypass valve failing, or Mazda wouldnt have put it in.

If you want the Turbo sound, go for the intake. It will give you a nice boost in horsepower, will lean the engine out some, and amplify both your intake sound and the sound of the Bypass valve. Out of all those positives, the BOV gives you the sound only. Pretty much a no brainer.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=AG DesignWorks link=topic=69980.msg1219515#msg1219515 date=1172015406]
Blow off valves are a waste of money at this point in modification. You've got a stock turbo, a stock intake, and a stock ECU that already runs rich.

A blow off valve will only cause the car to run even more rich during shifts and offers pretty much NO gains in terms of horsepower. At the STOCK boost levels we see now, there is no danger of the stock bypass valve failing, or Mazda wouldnt have put it in.

If you want the Turbo sound, go for the intake. It will give you a nice boost in horsepower, will lean the engine out some, and amplify both your intake sound and the sound of the Bypass valve. Out of all those positives, the BOV gives you the sound only. Pretty much a no brainer.

[/quote]Thats why we are running bov's that are designed to be recirc not vta.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts