Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of Xenons being banned in the future. I had talked to a buddy of mine and he had mentioned they had talked about banning Xenon's, at least in NJ. Supposedly they are a PITA to other drivers. Personally, I've been in a Jeep and haven't really caught many oncoming lights, but I can see them being a PITA. Anyone have any info on this?

edit:
Found the following...
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2001-06-07-xenon.htm
http://www.aaa-calif.com/westways/0103/hid.asp

EDIT: Heading for clarity :twisted:
NOTE: Added a poll to the dicussion :twisted:

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Well, HID retrofits have been illegal for years (federal rules), not that anyone ever gets in trouble for them. They've also even become illegal for off road use recently (federal rules).

OEM HID's are still legal. Don't think NJ will change that, although I could be wrong.

·
Registered
882 Posts
HID are annoying as all get out, especailly since many people who do the retro fits can't aim headlights worth a damn and they usually become even more blinding than usual. :|

·
Registered
272 Posts
cowtown said:
HID are annoying as all get out, especailly since many people who do the retro fits can't aim headlights worth a damn and they usually become even more blinding than usual. :|
Yeah, not just for true HIDs, but bastards in SUVs like Tahoes and Expeditions replace stock bulbs with those [email protected]$$ blue-white bulbs that are poorly installed and therefor poorly aimed...It's a real PITA. I guess it's just the ricer in me :)oops:), but I think HIDs are kinda cool and I'll try to get them on my 3 when I order it.

I wouldn't care if they were banned. But it's not like they enforce the current laws anyway...

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
USCMazda3 said:
cowtown said:
Yeah, not just for true HIDs, but bastards in SUVs like Tahoes and Expeditions replace stock bulbs with those [email protected]$$ blue-white bulbs that are poorly installed and therefor poorly aimed...It's a real PITA.
Well, there's nothing illegal with white halogens, and they're not blinding like HID's. No more so than any standard halogen, and in fact probably less because they put out less light.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
As what Ive seen so far: DOT stopped the sales of retro fit HIDs/Xenons. Main reason being: 99% of retro kits dont have levelers on them. And they say the distracting color blinds people.

Eh... those that skipped the Xenons... well, ur what we say SOL.

·
Registered
481 Posts
ya retro-fit aftermarket kits are to become illegal but OEM xenons will not... the government is not going to put a halt on a new technology simply because there are a few complaints about glare... its the NHTSA and DOT that need to get off their asses and update the headlight specs for north america so that the lenses perform better with stricter control of the beam. Europe has always had better headlights (E-code) than us (along with better drivers and better cars, but thats for another discussion) and their laws state that all xenon equipped cars must have auto-levelling ability as well as a fluid washer system... no rules like that here. Also, europe quickly altered their lighting laws to accomodate the new "turning" lights that the german OEMs have introduced making them totally legal and yet another solution to unwanted glare. What did the DOT do with regards to this technology? absolutely nothing... they are taking a wait and see approach on the turning lights, technically leaving these lights in a grey area between being legal or illegal.
So just like that usatoday article mentions, the xenon situation is similar to the introduction of halogen bulbs years ago... its a step forward in technology and safety, provided there are better lighting laws to go along with them... of course the government is so slow at fixing this kind of thing the automotive industry will be moving into LED headlight technology by the time they figure out what to do about xenons!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts