Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question, feel free to move this topic if it doesn't belong here.

i recently undertook the task of trying to paint my engine cover. while it turned out alright, i think it still looks cheesy and i'm probably just gonna toss it or put it away.

instead, i remembered that someone (i think it was bigtrucker) had glued the 2.3 badge to the valve cover on their engine. i thought that looked worlds better in an understated way, so i did the same but i also ripped the mazda logo off the engine cover and glued that on there as well.

my question is if the heat generated by the engine is going to have a negative effect on either the glue or the badges. i can't imagine it would considering the cover itself is plastic. just wondering for the future. i plan to take the car out for a drive now, let the engine warm up and then take another look.

might snap a few pics as well later on. looks really good! any help would be appreciated.

edit: after a brief drive around, the badges are still in place and the glue is holding up fine. looks way, way better than the engine cover. i'm impressed. sorry for the noob question, it still stands if anyone has had any experience with this.

updated now with a pic. yes, i realize the engine bay is FILTHY.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Re: badges on valve cover

Use a high temperature adhesive and it will hold fine.

Elmers Glue might give you trouble... lol I guess it depends what you used.

Personally, I'd try "trim" dual sided foam tape.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: badges on valve cover

my experiences with any sort of tape with winter around here has never been good. i just used a high strength glue that was good for all temps. i'm only holding light plastic on to the cover anyway.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
if you used like super glue, or gorilla glue i think you'll be fine.

are you gonna use any colored looms to at least to make it look so....unmessified?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
not a fan

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=66693.msg1148149#msg1148149 date=1168728818]
stk: i'll be cleaning it up a bit but i'm not that concerned about flashiness.
[/quote]

well, i didn't mean it like, deck out the engine with some chrome, but yeah. thats what i meant really.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Not to :hijacked:, but does anyone know the best way to clean our bay? (yeah, it rhymed, so what :lol:)

But seriously, mine is pretty gross, too, and could use a bit of a touch-up.

Looks good, BTW.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I use a 50/50 solution of a degreaser and water. Apply it when the motor is cool. Start the car a rinse with a stream of water, nothing full blast.

/hijack

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=66693.msg1148077#msg1148077 date=1168724383]
not a fan
[/quote]

Me neither. I think it looks way too messy. All the wires and stuff are just out in plain sight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i used that easy off degreaser and it looks brand spankin new in there with the wool washing mit to get into the tricky places. also you can remove the latch for opening the hood and clean in there, but dont use it on the latch itself or youl remove the lube.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I've got the 2.3 badge on my valve cover and all I used to apply it was the adhesive that came with the badge. It's been almost a year now and that sucker hasn't moved at all.

To clean my engine bay I just use a low pressure spray at the car wash and then use a damp towel on some of the harder spots to clean i.e CAI, under the strut bar etc...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts