Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since we have so many threads already, I thought I'd start a backpacking/camping thread.

So anyone indulge in the passion/obsession?

I tend to go twice a year. Once in the fall and once in the spring. Sadly this spring is out since my wife's due date is 4/7. I can't leave her home with a couple week old infant plus our toddler son. So the earliest is going to be sometime this fall.

I am planning with some friends (anything from 1-4 depending on how many bow out last minute this time) to hike Assateague island. We can't hike the Virginia side as they don't allow overnighting there, but the MD side is something like 20-23 miles long, so it should be a good 3 night backpacking trip if we do the whole thing.

I've been looking at getting some new gear. I have an ancient mummy bag that weighs something like 3 1/2-4lbs (38oz of poly fill) and is huge packed (11x16). I am looking at getting a Marmot Never Winter +30 bag (lovely goose down) that weighs in at about 2lbs and is much smaller packed (8.5x18 without a compression sack).

I just got an REI 20% that is good through mid April along with my dividend check (a whooping $6 this year). So I am really thinking about it. It'd be nice to have something a little warmer, smaller pack size and lighter a big plus.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Marmot bag? It gets pretty good reviews. Cheaper/smaller/lighter would be nice, but it doesn't look like I have any really good options on things that are rated well. I am not willing to go with anything rated at above +30.

Some of my spring/fall backpacking trips are when it gets down to mid 20's at night (which with a +30 bag means warm socks, long underwear and a vest on while sleeping to be comfortable, but that is just fine by me).
-Matt

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
I use to go camping A LOT when I was younger. My uncle who is an ex-sniper for the Marine Corp. taught us how to "survive" if the situation ever arised. We would catch squirrels/fish/bugs the hardcore way, than right as we would go to kill/cook the animal, he would but out hotdogs and burgers.

I have a 7 person tent. ITSFUCKINGHUGE. Haven't used it once, properly. Maybe this thread will motivate me to go camping again.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=Adam loves JDM hoes link=topic=169332.msg3586563#msg3586563 date=1269617486]
I use to go camping A LOT when I was younger. My uncle who is an ex-sniper for the Marine Corp. taught us how to "survive" if the situation ever arised. We would catch squirrels/fish/bugs the hardcore way, than right as we would go to kill/cook the animal, he would but out hotdogs and burgers.

I have a 7 person tent. ITSFUCKINGHUGE. Haven't used it once, properly. Maybe this thread will motivate me to go camping again.
[/quote]

Yeah I have a big ass 6 person tent for car camping. That sucker weighs in at a good 40lbs with its duffle bag. My backpacking tent is a little Kelty 2 person that weighs in at 4lbs 10oz with rain fly.

That tent is a little small though. When my friend who is 6'3" amd I (6'1") went backpacking and just used that tent and laid face up in it there was litterally not enough room to squeeze a sheet of paper between our sleeping bags.

From now on my tent is a 1 man, that or I am only sharing some someone under 5'8" and narrower shoulders.
-Matt

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I love camping. A group of my local MazdasNW friends and I started going last year. Western WA is full of state and national parks, great for camping. The only downside here is the likelihood of rain. Blue tarps = a Pacific Northwest campers best friend.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I used to do a lot of Backpacking back when I was younger. But once I started smoking it was game over on the hiking scene. Now that I quit smoking a few years ago I have been thinking bout picking it up again.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't know if I'd trust a Marmot bag below it's rating, even with warmer clothes on. I know they used to be consistently over-rated by about 10-15 degrees in most reviews. Hat, thick socks, and long underwear was typically needed to use them down to their rated temps. You could tell by their weights that they had the same amount of fill as other manufacturer's bags that were rated for warmer temps. If you were using a Marmot 30 degree bag in temps above 40 typically, maybe just pick up a flannel liner for when it could get close to 30.

I only get out camping/backpacking about twice a year. I used to enjoy backcountry camping more, now I prefer to car camp and sleep on a cot in a 4 person tent. I still have a Big Sky Evo 2P tent for backpacking that's fairly spacious (at least for a 2 person backpacking tent) and under 3 pounds with 2 doors and 2 vestibules. Too bad it doesn't get much use.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm good to know. The Never Winter has gotten some pretty good reviews, so maybe Marmot has a better design now? I'll have to do some more digging. I had also been looking at the Lafuma Extreme 950 pro, but that had gotten a lot of bad reviews. Including someone who mentioned that they tried it out in their living room with the thermostat set to 55 and nearly froze overnight trying to sleep in shorts and a T-shirt in it.
-Matt

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
[quote author=dehoff link=topic=169332.msg3587325#msg3587325 date=1269652422]
I don't know if I'd trust a Marmot bag below it's rating, even with warmer clothes on. I know they used to be consistently over-rated by about 10-15 degrees in most reviews. Hat, thick socks, and long underwear was typically needed to use them down to their rated temps. You could tell by their weights that they had the same amount of fill as other manufacturer's bags that were rated for warmer temps. If you were using a Marmot 30 degree bag in temps above 40 typically, maybe just pick up a flannel liner for when it could get close to 30.

I only get out camping/backpacking about twice a year. I used to enjoy backcountry camping more, now I prefer to car camp and sleep on a cot in a 4 person tent. I still have a Big Sky Evo 2P tent for backpacking that's fairly spacious (at least for a 2 person backpacking tent) and under 3 pounds with 2 doors and 2 vestibules. Too bad it doesn't get much use.
[/quote]

put a bivy sack in there and should definately bring it down a couple degrees. Helps alot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts