Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many people have them installed....70 or 88???
for those who have them installed....how do u like or dislike them? for both....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do u feel the engine/exhuasts noise increase.......i have 88 installed.....it is so much louder from engine and exhuast

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=66561.msg1142069#msg1142069 date=1168406907]
do u feel the engine/exhausts noise increase.......i have 88 installed.....it is so much louder from engine and exhaust
[/quote]

nope, no noise increase at all. Not sure how a motor mount would increase noise though. Did you mean cabin vibrations? Don't even have that with the 70 durometer mounts.

Shifting is MUCH more responsive though.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i am thinking.....but the noise is alot louder.....so much i am thinking switch back to the stock one.....

·
Registered
708 Posts
just put mine on an hour ago. drove it for a few miles and here's my initial impressions.....

no doubt about it, the vibration increase is real and noticable. especially right off idle.

there definately is a harmonic vibration...or buzz...at 900-1,200 rpm. it goes away when the idle settles down to 750 rpm.

turn the AC on at idle and the buzzing is even more noticable.

shifting does seem smoother with it installed. the 1-2 shift feels much quicker and smoother.

way too early to make a final judgement. perhaps it will settle in and the vibration will subside. I doubt it will go away.

I put this on as a defense against the tranny (or lateral engine mounts) failing as a few have experienced already.

time will tell if it's something that I want to keep installed.

thought others would appreciate a frank and honest assessment. cheers!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=66561.msg1184097#msg1184097 date=1170471451]
just put mine on an hour ago. drove it for a few miles and here's my initial impressions.....

no doubt about it, the vibration increase is real and noticable. especially right off idle.

there definately is a harmonic vibration...or buzz...at 900-1,200 rpm. it goes away when the idle settles down to 750 rpm.

turn the AC on at idle and the buzzing is even more noticable.

shifting does seem smoother with it installed. the 1-2 shift feels much quicker and smoother.

way too early to make a final judgement. perhaps it will settle in and the vibration will subside. I doubt it will go away.

I put this on as a defense against the tranny (or lateral engine mounts) failing as a few have experienced already.

time will tell if it's something that I want to keep installed.

thought others would appreciate a frank and honest assessment. cheers!
[/quote]

which one?

·
Registered
708 Posts
no certain which durometer (hardness) the bushing is?

its the red one if that makes a difference. sorry

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=66561.msg1184714#msg1184714 date=1170525733]
no certain which durometer (hardness) the bushing is?

its the red one if that makes a difference. sorry
[/quote]

considering his reaction. probably the harder (88 duro) bushing.

·
Registered
708 Posts
drove it quite a bit more today. felt better today....except for when I turned on the AC. definately a harmonic vib frequency at idle with the accessories loading up the engine. seems worst right at 900 rpms.

everywhere else, its business as usual. the shifter seems a bit smoother, but could be the placebo effect......I want it to shift better to make up for the sacrifice in rock solid (vib-free) idling.

like I said already, in no way am I trying to scare folks away from doing this mod. just sharing my own $.02 worth of experience so far with it installed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've had my 70 duro installed for about a month now and don't even notice the vibrations anymore. No telling if it's just that I've gotten used to it or if it's gone away entirely. The car does seem to shift smoother now, but again, I might have just gotten used to the feel. I also used to get a rediculously loud banging sound during the 2-3 shift when really giving the car hell, and haven't had it since installing the rear mm...but again, I might have subconsciously knew what I was doing to cause the sound and adjusted my driving style to suit.

All in all, once the vibration becomes a non-issue to you anyomore (which it will given time), you'll hardly consider $80 to be an expense worth losing sleep over.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have the 70 as well. At first I noticed some vibration. Until I was underway. But now I don't notice it anymore. I think I'm just used to it now. So it's natural. Shifting seems to be alittle better. But I'm awaiting my shift bushings to be sent off for a little stiffer and hopefully more precise feel. Car felt it had a hair more pep or snap too it. So if you are one who would put a stiffer suspension on the car and can cope with that. Then this mod is no problem for you at all. It just adds alittle more low rpm vibration that you will soon learn to ignore.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
yeah i went with the 70 too. after i put it in it only really rattled the worst for the first week. after that it seemed to soften up just a little and i can only tell that it vibrates right at bout 900-1000 rpm. It did make a bit of difference in the response of shifting. i can't tell you IT'S long effect because i also have synthetic gear oil, and shifter bushings. the car shiftes soooooooo much better with those three things done to it. It feels like a mechanical shifter, like it know where to go, when you want it. the only downside to the synthetic gear oil is if its really cold shifting sucks for about 5 miles of city driving. i have to shift hard and after a while its smooth as butter and mechanical feeling of precise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
[quote author=JimmyMac link=topic=66561.msg1185701#msg1185701 date=1170566951]
I have the 70 as well. At first I noticed some vibration. Until I was underway. But now I don't notice it anymore. I think I'm just used to it now. So it's natural. Shifting seems to be alittle better. But I'm awaiting my shift bushings to be sent off for a little stiffer and hopefully more precise feel. Car felt it had a hair more pep or snap too it. So if you are one who would put a stiffer suspension on the car and can cope with that. Then this mod is no problem for you at all. It just adds alittle more low rpm vibration that you will soon learn to ignore.
[/quote]

Definately want to hear your thoughts after you get the new shifter bushings.. My concern is with the 2-3 shift (sometimes it "bounces" off third and it takes a 2nd try to engage third gear), I wonder if you've had this happen and is it any better now with the rear engine mount?

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
[quote author=I_draw_cars link=topic=66561.msg1189633#msg1189633 date=1170775790]
[quote author=JimmyMac link=topic=66561.msg1185701#msg1185701 date=1170566951]
[/quote]

Definately want to hear your thoughts after you get the new shifter bushings.. My concern is with the 2-3 shift (sometimes it "bounces" off third and it takes a 2nd try to engage third gear), I wonder if you've had this happen and is it any better now with the rear engine mount?
[/quote]

bump for this question...

did the shifter bushings improve the 2-3 shift?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I guess everyone has a different "trouble-spot" with the 6MT.

My issue is only the 1-2 shift. The 2-3 is seamless & quick.

at first, I struggled going over to the 5-6 position but only due to the pronounced rightward throw. once I got used to it, its no problem for me now..

·
Registered
229 Posts
2-3 is fine for me, but even with the Rear MM and shifter bushings I still have problems nailing the 1-2 shift smoothly. Kinda feels like it does when I accidentaly try to shift my CRX into 6th gear *cringe*...but without the grinding. :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts