Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....you wanna know how anxious i was of getting to test drive a mz3? How about showing up just about 20 minutes early before the dealer opens....kinda reminded me of those jeep commercials where people were "camping" out in front of a jeep dealer right at sunrise.. :lol:...but before you make any remarks, it was all because of a mix up in the schedule. I looked up online that it was 9:30, but it was actually 10.
So anyways, went in there and saw a hatch and a sedan in the showroom....both really looked nice. Before even seeing the cars in person i was leaning towards the sedan, but now, i'm more into the hatch....dunno why...i guess i just liked the look better.
On to the test drive...they only had a red hatchback as a test car....and boy, it sure is an eyecatcher. SO yeah, the dealer set up the car for us (it was me and my friend) and just let us go :shock: ......i couldn't believe it. An unsupervised test drive....they didn't even take either one of our licenses.....but man, it wasn't the first time i had an unsupervised test drive (first time was with the 6) but this one was more satisfying. I really got to see what the car could do...and i couldn't believe what i was driving.
First, the pick-up is amazing....it's the best v4 that i have ever been in. Of course, my only other cars that i can compare it to are corolla, civic, saturn and accord. The acceleration made me feel like i was not in a compact car. And let me tell you, i had plenty of opportunity to test that when i took the baby onto the highway. I just went on the ramp and never looked back....wow :!: ....i couldn't believe how the ride felt so refined and the cabin was very quiet. And it fit me like a glove. I'm a short man so i had no qualms with the leg room in the front or the back. Oh man, this is my car.
On the way back, i let my friend drove it back to the dealer...using the highway to get back of course....and both of us couldn't believe how the car got up there pretty quick. We often found ourselves speeding (like 80 mph)....and my friend "tested" it more than i did. He revved it up pretty close to redline....he also tried to test the C&D finding on the 0-60 time....he accelerated from a dead stop (red light) until he hit sixty...of course he wasn't telling me so i didn't time it, but we both thought it felt quicker than 7.4 seconds. We also tested the brakes and body roll, but i think i rambled on for long enough.
And yeah, in case you didn't notice...this is the layman's way of giving a review.....haha....i was just so satisfied i didn't know where to start...but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask....maybe i'll answer it....if i like you :wink:

·
Banned
868 Posts
You know...I love your username...hahaha :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Levitron said:
You know...I love your username...hahaha :D
I was hoping someone would get it.....

Killer Chickens said:
Good review, but the car is an I4, not a V4
And yes you're right....

The car was so fun to drive....it only made it that much more disappointing that i couldn't get one right then and there.... :cry:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, but the only way to know for sure if you really want this car is to test drive it....nothing bad will happen....c'mon, everybody's doing it.... :lol: ...but seriously, whatever you do, when you do get to buy the car i'm sure you won't be disappointed in any way....

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
They exist(ed):

"SAAB INTRODUCES V-4 MODELS FOR 1967 LINE

Only V-4 on U. S. Market

New York, Oct. 18--SAAB, the Swedish safety-engineered car, today introduced two luxury type additions to its 1967 line. The new models, equipped with V-4 engines, are in addition to the previously announced two-cycle engine models which offer a Lifetime warranty on the engine as well as a radical price reduction for 1967.

The new SAAB V-4 models have been given completely new interior styling with full floor carpets, new side upholstery and seats and back covers in Scandinavian type textiles. New outside trim including wheel embellishers and chrome strips also serves to show off the V-4 SAAB models.

The new engine -- a radical change from SAAB's previous reliance on two-cycle, three- cylinder engines -- is, according to Ralph T. Millet, president of SAAB USA, Inc., the only V-4 now offered in the United States. The engine is made for SAAB by Ford of Germany and develops 73 horsepower SAE with a cylinder displacement of 1500 cc.

Though this is the first time the V-4 engine is used in a production SAAB, Mr. Millet points out that this engine originally was designed in a Swedish SAAB car. He explains that the SAAB V-4 engine is a further development of a powerplant desgned originally for use in American Ford's Cardinal compact proect. During its development stages Ford tried out this engine in SAAB cars bought from SAAB dealers near U. S. Ford plants in Michigan.

Despite this heritage, however, the Ford engine was accepted by SAAB only after several years of rigorous tests and analyses of many available four-cycle engines, said Mr. Millet.

"The addition of the luxury V-4 models to the SAAB line," Mr. Millet said, "gives SAAB dealers a complete line of cars to meet any demand."

The 1967 SAAB line starts with a standard sedan model, equipped with SAAB ' s Shrike two-cycle three-cylinder engine, and priced beginning at $1,795 -- a price reduction of some $200. All SAAB Shrike engines are offered with a lifetime engine warranty, the first in the industry. Engines are guaranteed for both parts and labor for the first 24,000 miles or 24 months and guaranteed for parts for as long as the car is owned by the original purchaser. Port of Entry prices of the V-4 models are $2,295 for the Sedan and $2,575 for the Station Wagon.

The Shrike engine warranty is given both with the standard SAAB two-cycle engine and with the new 1967 oil-injection engine -- a new SAAB development in two-cycle engine technology.

In both two-cycle and V-4 models, Mr. Millet stressed that the basic interest of SAAB is the safety of its drivers and passengers. In line with this thinking SAAB has added a new large type front wheel disc brake, designed especially for the high-performance models. Of course all SAABs still feature the now famous "dual diagonal" braking system, recently hailed by the National Space Administration as the best double braking system on wet pavements. The system works on alternate front and rear wheels.

Other safety features, available for several years as standard SAAB equipment, but only added recently to other makes, include: collapsible type steering column; pop-out windshield; energy-absorbing front structure; roll-bar windshield construction; three- point safety harness; padded dash and sun visors; and safety door latches and seat locks.

New for most 1967 SAAB models are extra powerful two-speed windshield wiper motors and alternators instead of generators.

SAAB sales in the United States for 1966 will be in the vicinity of 8,000 units, according to SAAB President Millet. This represents a 40% increase over 1965 and reflects the basic expansion plans of SAAB in the U. S. With the build-up of many new dealerships especially on the West Coast and Alaska where SAAB was not represented until this year, the 1967 sales hike is expected to hit 50% for a total of 12,000 units.

"With the new models for 1967, our dealers have a wider range of cars for a wider range of customers," Mr. Millet noted, adding that production of the V-4 models in Sweden is at a high level so that deliveries in this country should keep pace with the expected "

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/models/1967/pr1.html

Saab 96 V4 Super 1980, 1.5 L engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts