Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Mazda will offer an AWD version of the 3? I hope so, cause the next gen-focus is offering the rally Cosworth edition and the SVT will both be AWD and the vovlo S40 is standard AWD...so wouldn't AWD be an option?? I hope...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
AWD seems to be the Mazda thing in Japan and Japan only.

I really HOPE they do. Possibly 2005?

·
Registered
65 Posts
dinu01 said:
AWD? Bah, who cares?
Really. The whole point of AWD on the BMW and Mercedes lines is added safety, snow traction, etc. Mazdas are FWD so snow traction isn't much of an issue. And we've seen releases stating that the MZ3 is tuned for low understeer to handle corners more like a RWD vehicle. So AWD won't significantly enhance dry or wet/snowy handling. All it'll do is add weight and cost and sap power. The SUV craze made everyone think AWD is a must-have feature. On big heavy trucks, sure, but not on small, lightweight cars. Even on luxury cars, it's more of a marketing ploy than anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
dinu01 said:
And since we're talking about the 3, that was my point. You just explain what I mean by "bah" :)
And by "Really", I mean "Really, folks, listen to the man. Stop feeding the marketing frenzy." :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
folderol said:
dinu01 said:
AWD? Bah, who cares?
The SUV craze made everyone think AWD is a must-have feature.
For me, it was my craze when I watch rally that made me consider an AWD car (note: NOT SUV). :p

Some of the Protege's in Japan were AWD... Not a bad car either (from what I drove in Gran Turismo 2).

But hey, if this car can handle, who cares? :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
The only need I see for AWD is when the car is Mazdaspeed tuned, and we need all four tires in motion to keep traction, like the Evo and WRX.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I'm with you Frank. AWD would be nice when I visit my family in Michigan. I would really have some fun in the snow.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
SUV's (well, real ones, not the lame ass car based ones that have been coming out lately) don't have AWD, they have 4WD. Of course, most people don't know the difference.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
AWD (in most cars) is basically a FWD setup that has the ability to put power to the rear wheels when necessary.

4WD has the ability to put power to any single wheel at any time and usually starts as RWD but really has no bias.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I thought 4WD was always using all the wheels.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
depends on system used too. different AWD systems do different things.
I'm thinking the AWD Mazda's in Japan and Europe use the transfer-case version of AWD (which is a version of full time AWD... I think...). MZ6Zoomzoom, care to correct? :)

But the FF version should be fine for rainy days and mountain passes, right?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts