Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a quick question for all you guy's because this problem just happened a while ago. i haven't been driving my car due to going to school in washington while my car is left behind in hawaii. its almost been a month since i've touched it so i left it to my parents to start the car and warm it up once a month. i got a phone call from my mom and dad saying that my car won't start. they think its the battery because, the head lights, horn, etc. won't work. i'm thinking to myself how the heck did my battery die when i owned the car for a year and a half. and so i was thinking maybe it was my turbo timer. its always on when i drive prier to the light being on. so i guess it drained the battery everytime the turbo timer is on. my parents then jumped my car with their car and it started back up. my dad drove it around the block and all. i told my dad to rev it while i was on the phone and damn do i miss my car so much haha.
so i was just wondering on your guy's opinion about the lifespan on our battery and if my turbo timer killed. idk...im just assuming.
thanks for the help

·
Registered
161 Posts
To be honest these batteries can't go very long without being used every week or so, it does not mean they are dead but they will have to be jumped if it is left sitting bettween for anytime after a couple weeks. If it died within a week of being used than I would say it was probably because of the turbo timer, or something being left on.

·
Registered
452 Posts
These cars, as with most new cars have a lot of systems that stay active even with the key off. The remote lock system is always looking for your key fob to tell it to lock/unlock. The radio needs power to hold the station presets, the clock is running, even the ECU needs power to hold some memory (you can reset CEL's etc by disconnecting the battery) If you have added a turbo timer and/or stereo they most likely have some small amount of draw also. Most manufacturers recomend no more than 14-21 days without running the car or putting it on a maintanance charger. I'll bet if you have your folks charge the battery run the car for a bit and then disconnect the battery between times they start it you won't have any more problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the suggestions guy's! :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
You may need to take a quick visit to the dealer or someone with an obdII+ scanner. On my 09, the prep dept left the dome light on and drained my battery, which set off the check engine light.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I would say invest in a battery charger from harbor freight...its only $30 and charge your battery every year 6 months as part of maintenance

as for you leaving, hook it up to the battery charger in the mean time

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
The oem panasonic battery is crap, i barely got 18mo outta it. It got to the point where I had to run the car every 6 hrs or id be dead.

·
Registered
94 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=134812.msg2909873#msg2909873 date=1233697245]
The oem panasonic battery is crap, i barely got 18mo outta it. It got to the point where I had to run the car every 6 hrs or id be dead.
[/quote]

What did you replace it with?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts