Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my god the stock hood weighs 100 lbs (or so it seems). I guess that I was spoiled with my Legacy GT and its stock aluminum hood.

was wondering if there's a source yet for an aluminum hood upgrade? it would be cool to add a hood scoop. not necessarily something big & gaudy like a WRX/STI scoop. I would actually love to see a low-provide "reverse" hood scoop like on the EVO.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Take your hood of and weigh it... then think about a carbon fiber hood...

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
im interested in a lighter hood option as well, but its a mod I dont need to do quite yet, so hopefully someone develops something quality rather than just quickly turns out a peice of crap.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=67249.msg1155522#msg1155522 date=1169100437]
my god the stock hood weighs 100 lbs (or so it seems). I guess that I was spoiled with my Legacy GT and its stock aluminum hood.

was wondering if there's a source yet for an aluminum hood upgrade? it would be cool to add a hood scoop. not necessarily something big & gaudy like a WRX/STI scoop. I would actually love to see a low-provide "reverse" hood scoop like on the EVO.
[/quote]

that aluminium hood and trunk/liftgate on the legacy also added big $$$ to the bottom line on those cars. at least in Canada.

·
Registered
253 Posts
[quote author=dutchie3 link=topic=67249.msg1155826#msg1155826 date=1169135700]
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=67249.msg1155522#msg1155522 date=1169100437]

[/quote]

that aluminium hood and trunk/liftgate on the legacy also added big $$$ to the bottom line on those cars. at least in Canada.
[/quote]

Subaru's are approximately 27% higher in Canada then the USA after exchange rate is accounted for. I dont think it has anything to do with teh parts. Oh and the heated mirrors.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
come on guys, I didn't mean to start a Subaru bashing thread. I LOVED my Subie!

just looking for any info on a source of lightweight hood options for the MS3.

my taste is not for carbon fiber - unless it can be painted to match.

an aluminum hood with an integrated scoop would look HOT in my opinion.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
ditch the scoop IMO...the CF hoods are usually vented which may be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
253 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=67249.msg1157715#msg1157715 date=1169225355]
come on guys, I didn't mean to start a Subaru bashing thread. I LOVED my Subie!

[/quote]

Wasnt meaning to bash the subies. I was very very close to buying a WRX before i got my MS3. WRX was about $3G CDN more expensive. Thing is an STI is $20,000 more then the MS3 here.

Im actually scouting out a used wrx to buy as a project car to learn on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts