Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out the ashtray but there are no holes to run down the line. Just the ashtray light bulb. Help please. What am I doing wrong??

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Remove the center console trim, then remove the ashtray/cig lighter panels. This only takes a couple minutes and makes running the wire much easier. The wire can enter the ashtray from the opening in the bottom without affecting fitment, or the door opening/closing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=66683.msg1144327#msg1144327 date=1168537920]
Remove the center console trim, then remove the ashtray/cig lighter panels. This only takes a couple minutes and makes running the wire much easier. The wire can enter the ashtray from the opening in the bottom without affecting fitment, or the door opening/closing.

[/quote]

Thanks, I'll try that now.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
You don't have to keep the insert in the ashtray section, and if you don't then you don't need to drill any holes. Remove the cupholders, shift surround and unscrew the two screws that were under the shift surround. With that stuff out, and the HU removed it's really easy to run the cable down behind the HVAC controls. Then you run the wire right next to the light bulb and the door will still open close.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
The only problem I had with running it through next to the light bulb was that my stereo plug was too large to fit through that opening. I guess that may or may not be an issue, depending on what particular cable you have.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=66683.msg1144457#msg1144457 date=1168541571]

[/quote]

:irock: :irock: :irock:

sorry i had to...

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=66683.msg1144463#msg1144463 date=1168541779]
The only problem I had with running it through next to the light bulb was that my stereo plug was too large to fit through that opening. I guess that may or may not be an issue, depending on what particular cable you have.
[/quote]

I have the same problem. The ashtray is actually two pieces when you pull the red insert out; there's a horizontal seam running across the back, with a gap between the two (the bottom piece sits a little further back than the top piece). I ran the cable between those two pieces, so it comes out right in the middle of the back of the ashtray. I plan to drill a hole in the same spot on the red insert so I can snake the cable through. If anyone wants, I can take a pic when I get home later.

·
Registered
887 Posts
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=66683.msg1144569#msg1144569 date=1168545518]
....... I ran the cable between those two pieces, so it comes out right in the middle of the back of the ashtray. I plan to drill a hole in the same spot on the red insert so I can snake the cable through. If anyone wants, I can take a pic when I get home later.
[/quote]

This is what I did as well, works ok.... I have been trying to figure out a cleaner way but at least it hides the cable when not in use.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I just took out the ashtray insert and drilled a hole in the upper left corner and fished the wire through when I had the head unit out. I didn't bother taking any other trim pieces off, it just seemed like the straight forward thing to do. I also took the red light filter off the ashtray, cut it down a little bit and bonded it over the light opening so I still have the Mazda Red Light theme going on whenever I open the ashtray to control my ipod.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When i installed it, i couldnt get through the Led hole...but there is another hole.

When the ashtray is open, it'll cover the hole up, so you wont be able to feel it. You'll have to close the panel a bit while feeling behind to able to know where it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts