Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a 2009 (3) 2.0 - I have driven both the automatic and the manual. The stickers say 32 mpg for manual and 30 for automatic. When driving them I noticed at 60 and 70 mph the RPMs were higher in the manual, than the automatic. If the RPMs are higer how can the MPG be better? Is this normal or should I drive a different manual. I was leaning towards the manual until I noticed this.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you are going for the fun spirited driving of the 3 get the manual.
If you want it to be more of the easy daily driver for the family then get the ATX.

I went from a 2006 3i 2L Manual to a 2007 3s 2.3L 5sp ATX.
It's great that I can still select gears but I wish I still had the Manual...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am mainly looking for MPG, Fun diving sometimes. That is why I drove the manual to begin with. It has a higher highway MPG reating than the automatic. But if the RPMs are higher, I do not want to get the manual, it will be worse on MPG than the automatic.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Just my opinion is if you're going to do any spirited driving get manual. But I like to have a lot of spirited driving throughout my week and can not stand auto trans.

How much higher were the RPMs at 60?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Most everyone is going to tell you Manual, but I drive an Auto and love it. Maybe it is just me but I prefer not to worry about missing gears, and constantly shifting. I get 25 to 30 mpg all day long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 60 the RPMs were about 2-300 more. By I drive about 70 most of the time. and it was about 500 more there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
the gear ratios in the auto and manual are going to be different, and that will account for the RPM difference.
my 2.3l manual still gets 34-35mpg at 75 mph and my RPMs are around 3500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live and die by the manual trans... IMO it makes driving so much mor enjoyable, unless you are stuck in traffic..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts