Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the auto AC is not available in the states but I still have questions about it, for those that may have it...

1. Does the audio display on the top of the console show your AC info?
2. Is there a diagram for automatic vs. manual a/c so I can see if the wiring is the same.
3. Can someone find the corresponding part numbers and prices?

I really like the ease of use of Automatic A/C and it is the only that I will lose in getting the mz3 (except for about 130 hp).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Roach said:
I know that the auto AC is not available in the states but I still have questions about it, for those that may have it...

2. Is there a diagram for automatic vs. manual a/c so I can see if the wiring is the same.

I really like the ease of use of Automatic A/C and it is the only that I will lose in getting the mz3 (except for about 130 hp).

Thanks in advance!
what car are you downgrading from?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lack of auto climate control is a not a bad thing in my eyes. I'm more than willing and perfectly able to adjust the controls as needed...Also, the regular HVAC system is simpler so logically there are less things that have a chance of failing.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
The modularity of the 3 might allow auto climate control. However, is the climate control, controlled by the Car's main computer, or does it have its own computing unit?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I know having auto climate control in my 97 Taurus SHO was nice and it was probably the only thing my wife was disapointed that we didn't have for an option in the PRo5 or the 3. The sunroof made up for it though, we haven't had a sunroof in a very long while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am down grading from a 2001 Acura CL-S. I modded it to a good 300 horses from the stock 260.

I live in Texas and I drive ALOT! I have driven a good 300K miles in the past 8 years. Many of which were without auto a/c. I really got TIRED of switching the a/c on and off and adjusting it all of the damn time! I would much rather (as the info-mercial says) set and forget it!

Yes, I would put it in myself.

I honestly think and hope the unit should just be plug and play. If the readout on the top of the console shows the status of the a/c I don't think it will be plug and play.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Definitely keep us up to date if you decide to put in Auto Climate Control. I think it might be a worthwhile upgrade if it's feasible and not too expensive.

good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
yeah.. keep us updated on this.. this is the only thing that bugs me about the car... all i really want, however, is to be able to get the outside temp reading to display.. or even the inside car temp.. do any of you think that might be something feasible to do?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Roach said:
Thanks in advance!

1. yes it shows all AC info
2. no idea
3. no idea

·
Registered
272 Posts
dk0280 said:
yeah.. keep us updated on this.. this is the only thing that bugs me about the car... all i really want, however, is to be able to get the outside temp reading to display.. or even the inside car temp.. do any of you think that might be something feasible to do?
I'm guessing that it would require some extra sensors to get int./ext. temp readouts.

The following is not directed at dk0280 in any way, but something that's been on my mind for a while:

Honestly, I think people are expecting a bit too much from this car. No doubt that it is an awesome car for it's class/price range, but let us not forget that that class/price range is "compact economy car" after all, plain and simple. Simply having a readout for the A/C is cool to me. It really wouldn't be worth the trouble/expense of converting the NA HVAC system to the auto system. Obviously, it can be done, but it would take a bit of research, some time, and I'm guessing quite a bit of $$$$.

If someone finds the lack of auto A/C that large of a stumbling block, I would just say keep saving until you can afford a car with auto A/C.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
USCMazda3 said:
dk0280 said:
Honestly, I think people are expecting a bit too much from this car. No doubt that it is an awesome car for it's class/price range, but let us not forget that that class/price range is "compact economy car" after all, plain and simple. Simply having a readout for the A/C is cool to me. It really wouldn't be worth the trouble/expense of converting the NA HVAC system to the auto system. Obviously, it can be done, but it would take a bit of research, some time, and I'm guessing quite a bit of $$$$.

If someone finds the lack of auto A/C that large of a stumbling block, I would just say keep saving until you can afford a car with auto A/C.
The funny thing is that it is offered overseas and it is still an economy car.

I don't think you quite understand modders though. Check this out. Sometimes you like the way a car looks and everything about that car so you want to buy it. You then think of a couple of ways it could be a bit better so you mod it to suit your needs. I myself like many aspects of this car but there are some things that I would change if the price is not to rediculous. Now don't get me wrond, if it costs big money to add auto a/c, I won't even worry about it. But if it costs less than $200 to do it, I am ALL FOR IT!

My current ride is a '01 Acura CL-S. I would have bought a BMW but I hated the way I was treated at their dealerships. I decided instead to go with an acura and mod it to handle and perform similar to the BMW I would have bought. Although the rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive limitations could not be overcome, I was successful in modding my car to ride in a way that made me happier than the BMW and it still costs less than a BMW.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Roach said:
The funny thing is that it is offered overseas and it is still an economy car.

I don't think you quite understand modders though. Check this out. Sometimes you like the way a car looks and everything about that car so you want to buy it. You then think of a couple of ways it could be a bit better so you mod it to suit your needs. I myself like many aspects of this car but there are some things that I would change if the price is not to rediculous. Now don't get me wrond, if it costs big money to add auto a/c, I won't even worry about it. But if it costs less than $200 to do it, I am ALL FOR IT!

My current ride is a '01 Acura CL-S. I would have bought a BMW but I hated the way I was treated at their dealerships. I decided instead to go with an acura and mod it to handle and perform similar to the BMW I would have bought. Although the rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive limitations could not be overcome, I was successful in modding my car to ride in a way that made me happier than the BMW and it still costs less than a BMW.
OK, let me see if I understand your logic:

My opposition to adding an auto HVAC system = Not understanding modders

I think not. I'm all for modding. If it makes the car look better, run better, pretty much do anything better, I'm all for it. I haven't come across many cars with aftermarket HVAC systems. Heck, some hard-core tuners remove the HVAC system altogether. But you know this. I'm not going to be critical of anyone's mods, unless those mods include giant fart cans and monsterous park bench wings on Honda Civics.

But, again, I don't see why anyone would want to bother to put in the auto A/C when it really does nothing to make the car better. To me, auto A/C is just another device that was created for a culture too busy or too lazy to do things manually, or at the very least a nifty gimmick to sell cars.

But that's another story, and quite enough of hijacking this thread.

PS- Through time I've learned not to accuse people of not understanding something on a forum because I've been OWN3D several times...No offense meant toward you, but I'm just saying...

·
Registered
882 Posts
"Honestly, I think people are expecting a bit too much from this car. No doubt that it is an awesome car for it's class/price range, but let us not forget that that class/price range is "compact economy car" after all, plain and simple. Simply having a readout for the A/C is cool to me. It really wouldn't be worth the trouble/expense of converting the NA HVAC system to the auto system. Obviously, it can be done, but it would take a bit of research, some time, and I'm guessing quite a bit of $$$$.

If someone finds the lack of auto A/C that large of a stumbling block, I would just say keep saving until you can afford a car with auto A/C."

I really have to agree with you, a lot of people are expecting a bit too much from this car and it's price range. It's a fantastic car with a lot of content so that may be it's own fault that it gets painted with that brush a bit.

And yeah it may be offered in Europe but different markets call for different demands. Xenon's apparently aren't all that popular (by and large) here in Canada so they don't offer them here.

I really hope the modders can figure it out, I may look at that mod myself if they figure it out however it certainly wasn't a deal breaker, I mean how hard is it to twist the temp dial once in a while?

·
Registered
290 Posts
cowtown said:
"Honestly, I think people are expecting a bit too much from this car. No doubt that it is an awesome car for it's class/price range, but let us not forget that that class/price range is "compact economy car" after all, plain and simple. Simply having a readout for the A/C is cool to me. It really wouldn't be worth the trouble/expense of converting the NA HVAC system to the auto system. Obviously, it can be done, but it would take a bit of research, some time, and I'm guessing quite a bit of $$$$.

If someone finds the lack of auto A/C that large of a stumbling block, I would just say keep saving until you can afford a car with auto A/C."

I really have to agree with you, a lot of people are expecting a bit too much from this car and it's price range. It's a fantastic car with a lot of content so that may be it's own fault that it gets painted with that brush a bit.

And yeah it may be offered in Europe but different markets call for different demands. Xenon's apparently aren't all that popular (by and large) here in Canada so they don't offer them here.

I really hope the modders can figure it out, I may look at that mod myself if they figure it out however it certainly wasn't a deal breaker, I mean how hard is it to twist the temp dial once in a while?
I'll second that. There are a ton of options on cars in todays world and chances are, you won't get them all without spending major $'s. Keep in mind the trade-off's that you will be faced with when buying a car on a budget. Before deciding on the MZ3sport GT, I almost bought a C230 Kompressor - that car had all the bells and was very quick but the interior was butt ugly and a lot of the buttons and swiches looked and felt cheap. In other words, the Marcedes cut a few corners in order to offer a car in this price range and those "cut corners" were obvious to me. Maxda, on the other hand, seems to pull their car together without the obvious compremising - other than auto air.
I often make comparisms like this and many times I forget what I feel to be important when it comes time to make the tough (or right) decisions - it comes down to what I want and what I'm willing to spend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I asked my dealer if it would be possible to add ACC to my 6i. He basically quoted my a little over $1000 to do it. I said, "NO THANKS!" He did some research and you would need the ACC controls ($300) a new A/C unit (!) ($500) and an $80 wiring harness plus unknown hours of labor. Plus I lease my car so I will just have my next car have it. It sucks that ACC is a stand alone option on the Mini for only $200!

·
Registered
171 Posts
USCMazda3 said:
dk0280 said:
I'm guessing that it would require some extra sensors to get int./ext. temp readouts.

The following is not directed at dk0280 in any way, but something that's been on my mind for a while:

ok.. let me clear this up... i don't particularly care about auto a/c.. the only thing i really want is outside temp and/or ac display just so you know what mode you're in and whatnot.. i'm not asking for these because i see them as flaws in the car. i'm asking for them because the car already has these features in other countries. if the technology is there, why not offer it as an option is all i'm asking.. i'm not telling them to make it a v6 or make some huge changes... i'm not telling them to make power and memory seats or anything like that.. i just wish they would've allowed those particular features with temp and ac at least as options since they seem to have them overseas.. but it's not the lack of those features that bother me, but the fact that the display itself has placeholders for them, but those will never be active.. this is an extreme example.. but it's like having a navi screen installed right in the middle of your instrument panel, but you can't use it for anything. it's just sitting there staring you in the face. sure, it's offered somewhere else, but the wiring wasn't integrated in the NA models so you can never use it... that's all i'm asking for.. nothing elaborate and nothing that hasn't already been done. i don't think it's that bad a gripe to have.. it's not going to prevent me from buying the car.. but if there were a way to get that functionality, i'd be all for it. much like how canada doesn't get the xenon option. why not let them have that option? the car is going to the same continent, so what's the big deal? i'm sure they have their reasons.. but still.. there should be ways around these things. but whatever.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts