Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new owner of a rally white Mazda3 S, 5-speed. I recently purchased an autolock but noticed that the clutch pedal is plastic and won't fit around it anyway. If you place it on the metal brake pedal, the thief could still steal the car and downshift and/or use the e-brake to stop with the manual transmission. I've heard the autolock is a good device, but I don't see how it is very beneficial in this case..... Any ideas...i.e. upgrading to a steel clutch pedal?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right. I was expecting the clutch pedal to fit between the two sections of the autolock, but the lower adjustable metal section at the bottom does fit snug up against the clutch pedal. I suppose someone could cut the clutch pedal above the autolock, but that wouldn't leave much pedal at all to drive. Thanks!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Out of idle curiosity, why'd you buy an autolock, considering that any thief would need your key to start the car (immobilizer)? If you were concerned about a tow truck pulling it away, the autolock won't stop them from lifting the front wheels off of the ground and pulling your car away, I could understand always leaving the e-brake on, but I fail to see how an autolock would act as more than a visual deterrent.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
I was under the impression that the autolock is supposed to clamp your clutch above the pedal (on the metal). Since I don't have one to test myself, I could certainly be wrong.

As far as cutting the clutch pedal to take the autolock off, it is possible but extremely time consuming because the metal on your petals is extremely strong. It quite literally has to withstand you stomping on it for the entire life of the car - so it is very strong. That's the whole reason the autolock is supposed to be better than "the club", because the steering wheel is designed to buckle in the event of a crash... so it's weak and easy to cut.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'm not too familiar with the engine immobilizer and how difficult it is for a theif to bypass. I picked up the autolock simply as an additional item to help. The clutch pedal itself is plastic, but so is the pedal extension that connects to the pedal. The autolock will clamp on however. Thanks....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.