Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Didn't see them mentioned in the rule book, maybe i will run them and see if i pass tech, i was also wondering if cat back exhausts are allowed? the only mention of exhaust i see (in the scca rulebook and my regional rulebook) is street legal headers.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
[quote author=ericbertrand716238 link=topic=87808.msg2319673#msg2319673 date=1210952942]
Didn't see them mentioned in the rule book, maybe i will run them and see if i pass tech, i was also wondering if cat back exhausts are allowed? the only mention of exhaust i see (in the scca rulebook and my regional rulebook) is street legal headers.
[/quote]

As a general rule, if it does not say that you can, then you can't. One thing to keep in mind is that almost all of the rules build off of Stock, meaning, if it is legal in stock, it is legal in the higher prep classes.

Because cat-back is allowed in Stock Class, it is allowed in STS as well.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
so in order for me to compete in STS instead of STX I would need to go back to stock width tires right? I believe my rx8 wheels are 8" wide and that puts me in STX....

If anyone could check my mods (found in the link in my sig) and verify that if I went back to stock wheels, I could compete in the STS class. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
[quote author=cromus link=topic=87808.msg2325850#msg2325850 date=1211222472]
so in order for me to compete in STS instead of STX I would need to go back to stock width tires right? I believe my rx8 wheels are 8" wide and that puts me in STX....

If anyone could check my mods (found in the link in my sig) and verify that if I went back to stock wheels, I could compete in the STS class. Thanks!
[/quote]

Yes, but you should get some 7.5' wide wheels for STS.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[quote author=astrob0y link=topic=87808.msg2338961#msg2338961 date=1211640675]
quick question, how do they calculate the final time?
[/quote]

They use timing lights. Ths time starts when you trip the lights at the start and stops when you trip the lights at the finish.

Unless it's a ProSolo, in which case the lights start when the tree goes green. :)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
[quote author=astrob0y link=topic=87808.msg2338961#msg2338961 date=1211640675]
quick question, how do they calculate the final time?
[/quote]

In autocross the timer starts and stops when you trip the start and finish light beam. Typically, the accuracy is down to .001 seconds.

Usually, the winner of a class is deteremined by your best run, so if you have a bunch of bad runs but manage to pull one out of your a$$ on the last run that is the fastest in the class, you win.

National Tours are a bit different. Each person gets three runs on Saturday and three on Sunday. The best runs from each day are added together to determine class winners.

PZ

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
[quote author=astrob0y link=topic=87808.msg2347362#msg2347362 date=1212003030]
Times Total
67.921 54.516
66.457+1
65.892+1
65.714+1

I know how they keep track of the times but whats the formula to calculate that?
[/quote]

It looks like the club you ran with is using some sort of factor time. Many clubs do this to 'normalize' times across classes so that in theory if a driver were to drive in two different classes, his final time, after the factor was applied would be the same.

Do you have a link to the results that we can look at. It might help out.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
[quote author=astrob0y link=topic=87808.msg2347441#msg2347441 date=1212004562]
http://www.ner.org/sites/ner.org/files/event 3_fin.htm
[/quote]

Another New England Region member! :)

Okay, NER runs the PAX/RTP factor for the novice class:

http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/rtp2008.html

What this does is allows you to compare your times across classes. A Modified is set at a 1.0 and the numbers drop until HS at .792. Theoretically, if the same driver ran in AMod and HS, and you multiplied the raw time with the factor, you would get the same number.

Your class, STU has a factor of .830, so they were applying that to your time. So even though you ran a faster raw time than the STS car, he ended up higher in the standings because he has a softer factor (the class is not as fast as STU).

Hope this helps.

PZ

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't feel that this was worthy of it's own thread, so I'll say it here. I took my car to a local auto-x and ran into a problem that people may want to watch out for. A coolant hose that runs from the reservoir to the thermostat housing? (buried under intake, can't see) came loose off of one of the clips on the radiator support. It got cut up by the fan, and I lost a bit of coolant before I realized it. Ended my day earlier than I had anticipated, and almost left me stranded if it weren't for some cool guys helping me out. It's probably due to the rear motor mount and how much the engine moves around which would pull the hose from the clip. Keep this in mind and be sure to check after every run or two just to be safe.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Just want to add.

I recently installed my Borla exhaust with race pipe that replaced the second cat.

Before exhaust:
Class: STS (PAX: 0.816):
- Koni Yellows
- Tein H-techs
- RB Rear Sway

After exhaust:
Class: STX (PAX: 0.820)
- Koni Yellows
- Tein H-techs
- RB Rear Sway
- Borla exhaust with race pipe

The ruling was agreed by a few people from the ASA (which is the a local club in Edmonton, AB) that I still had the stock headers (complete with the stock cat) and the second cat was far enough down the line that I would be classed in STX not FSP (or worst M) with the race pipe.

I was willing to take the class change cuz the pax index was a difference of 0.004. So not a big change and the sound is allot better.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
[quote author=Drunkn Munky link=topic=87808.msg2671668#msg2671668 date=1223334426]
Just want to add.

I recently installed my Borla exhaust with race pipe that replaced the second cat.

Before exhaust:
Class: STS (PAX: 0.816):
- Koni Yellows
- Tein H-techs
- RB Rear Sway

After exhaust:
Class: STX (PAX: 0.820)
- Koni Yellows
- Tein H-techs
- RB Rear Sway
- Borla exhaust with race pipe

The ruling was agreed by a few people from the ASA (which is the a local club in Edmonton, AB) that I still had the stock headers (complete with the stock cat) and the second cat was far enough down the line that I would be classed in STX not FSP (or worst M) with the race pipe.

I was willing to take the class change cuz the pax index was a difference of 0.004. So not a big change and the sound is allot better.
[/quote]

Wow, all that money just to go (in PAX terms) as fast as FS.

Throw some R-comps on there and go FSP! :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Right now I am in Kamloops, BC and the only autocross out here is the Kelowna Corvette club and they follow the old rules so i am in FSP already.  But can't afford R's :(

Beside I'll stick with pax 0.820. I dont want 0.833. For the new rules.

I can just be cheap like others I raced with in ASA and use Bridgestone RE-01's. Street tires that are almost R's. :)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Question: Are R-comps only allowed in street prepared? These rules are very confusing to me. Someone told me to run completely stock with R-comps in H stock. is that legal?

21 - 40 of 134 Posts