Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 3 at the past two wet autocrosses and I've been getting some pretty annoying wheel hop (however, it does it in the dry too). I have to let off the throttle and then reapply which is not good for time. Are there any mods that could help in this area? I read it's the motor mounts causing the hop... Thanks! :(

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It is mainly the rear (actually called side by Mazda cause the motor sits crossways) mount. A number of companys make stiffer replacements which go a long way to controlling the hop. I personally recommend the SU mount. I have one on my MS3 (same mount fits the MZ3 if you have the 2.3 motor), with about 40,000 miles on it.
Here is the one I recommend:
http://www.streetunit.com/MAZDASPEED_3_Motor_Mount_p/sum3amm.htm

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply - is the rear mount easy to replace (torque specs?)? I have access to a lift and tools.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
what car and what class are you running in?
rear mount takes you out of stock and into a ST class

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Even in ST, the volume of metal in the mount can't change, but inserts are legal. I haven't had any wheel hop with inserts, just spin city. But I rarely do bone jarring drag starts anyways.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
[quote author=MrEddie link=topic=136737.msg2947671#msg2947671 date=1235068200]
I'm running H Stock right now, so I guess I'd be going to ST.
[/quote]

I get little or no wheel hop in my HS car. Before spending money that may or may not fix the problem, you may want to look at your driving style. Smoother application of the throttle (it is not an on/off switch) usually makes the problem go away.

·
Registered
498 Posts
+1

I've gotten some wheel hop at Pro Solos and the local drag strip, but never a regular autocross. Make sure your stock mounts are in good shape (both PZ and I have broken one, I believe) and work on being smooth on the throttle.

·
Banned
882 Posts
[quote author=steverife link=topic=136737.msg2948181#msg2948181 date=1235079580]
+1

I've gotten some wheel hop at Pro Solos and the local drag strip, but never a regular autocross. Make sure your stock mounts are in good shape (both PZ and I have broken one, I believe) and work on being smooth on the throttle.
[/quote]
Me too!

I also suggest working on throttle modulation. I'm rarely 'right foot in' on launch when autoxing. Practice makes perfect!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So other than the leaking oiling I've heard about, how do you go about checking the motor mounts - visually looking for cracks, wiggle tests, etc? Also, I launch ok, the hops occur when coming out of a sharp turn and applying throttle - I start hopping, so a let off and reapply at a more gentle rate. I had a integra gsr back in the late 90s and it would spin the wheels easy in 1st with hard acceleration but wouldn't really hop too much... Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
72 Posts
[quote author=MrEddie link=topic=136737.msg2949213#msg2949213 date=1235105417]
So other than the leaking oiling I've heard about, how do you go about checking the motor mounts - visually looking for cracks, wiggle tests, etc? Also, I launch ok, the hops occur when coming out of a sharp turn and applying throttle - I start hopping, so a let off and reapply at a more gentle rate. I had a integra gsr back in the late 90s and it would spin the wheels easy in 1st with hard acceleration but wouldn't really hop too much... Thanks for the replies!
[/quote]

Sounds like a blown strut from this description. Been there; done that... :evil:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was out rotating the tires and noted the front right strut had what appeared to be leaking oil running down the side under the protective shield - the left looked fine and dry. Any advice on a good, reasonably priced strut? I noticed the dealer is the only one that carries them in town (approx $115 a piece). I just hit 86K miles. I'll also work on my driving style as well - Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
[quote author=MrEddie link=topic=136737.msg2954612#msg2954612 date=1235356751]
I was out rotating the tires and noted the front right strut had what appeared to be leaking oil running down the side under the protective shield - the left looked fine and dry. Any advice on a good, reasonably priced strut? I noticed the dealer is the only one that carries them in town (approx $115 a piece). I just hit 86K miles. I'll also work on my driving style as well - Thanks!
[/quote]

Buy some Konis. They aren't much more (like 15 bucks each) and they're light-years better than the stock.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw tirerack has the Konis at $179 a piece and the KYBs at $99 a piece. How are the KYBs? I'm new to autocross so I don't want to drop a whole lot of money - just fix what's needed with something decent and work on my driving skills....Thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had a blown LF on my konis. It would do it when turning left and just rolling into the throttle. Sigh......I'll probably go Bilstein on my next set after these stockers are worn out.

Also look into the mazda3mods engine torque damper. That with the motor mounts should solve almost all the wheel hop I'm told.

[quote author=Silver2.3Touring link=topic=136737.msg2949271#msg2949271 date=1235108147]
[quote author=MrEddie link=topic=136737.msg2949213#msg2949213 date=1235105417]
[/quote]

Sounds like a blown strut from this description. Been there; done that... :evil:
[/quote]

·
Registered
603 Posts
KYBs are terrible. Either get a koni or a bilstein IMO. The Konis will probably more civil as they are adjustable

[quote author=MrEddie link=topic=136737.msg2955740#msg2955740 date=1235410981]
I saw tirerack has the Konis at $179 a piece and the KYBs at $99 a piece. How are the KYBs? I'm new to autocross so I don't want to drop a whole lot of money - just fix what's needed with something decent and work on my driving skills....Thanks!
[/quote]

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
imo the bilsteins are much more daily driveable than the koni's
i own both and the bilsteins are beutiful on the street but dont match up to the koni's on clourse
degassed vs gassed is what it boils down to

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was a blown strut - I installed new struts and rear shocks (fun project on the fronts) and ran this past Sunday, and there was no wheel hop! It of course felt so much better. Now I just need to work on the driving part - doh! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
296 Posts
[quote author=Rocketeer link=topic=136737.msg3104166#msg3104166 date=1241541100]
yeah I was still getting nasty wheel hop at the last event even though I was not mashing the petal.
[/quote]

Just curious, have you had someone else that could possibly be more experienced driver, drive the car to see if they have this wheel hop? Have you seen if you are turning the wheel too much?

When does the wheel hop occur?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts