Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i went to autozone and made my own little cai. it didnt cel right at start up but after idleing for about 2 minutes the cel popped up. I read in the "power stage 2" post that the bottle neck is the maf and that companies put like some kind of spacer in there to make the air flow more normal. is there anything i can do to fix this problem? and is it bad to drive like this with the cel on? the intake is 3 inches.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
check your maf wires and make sure they aren't stretched.

after you do that, buy a real intake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) they arent stretched ( i've read all of those posts)
2) My dad wont let met do any modifications to my car ( what he doesnt know wont hurt him) so if i order a real one he will find out.

My car works fine but there is the damn cel. I have a obd II at work so i can check it out but i was wondering if any one knew a way to fix the maf problem w/o spending so much. the intake looks good just like any other intake. so i dont feel like speding 200 bucks for a AEM sticker to slap on it. its not like i took dryer tube and threw it in my engine.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
the reason the intakes cost so much is because they are tuned to give you more power/efficiency.
where are you located? if you are so cal you can ship to my address and do the install at my house with a real intake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok now im confused. I woke up started my car no cel. drove it 16 miles home. no cel. drove my mom to work. no cel. lol so now im happy because even though you all think my intake is retarded i like it cuz now no cel and i can tell a difference. even if it is only a butt dyno :)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
the 3 HAS TO HAVE THE TUBING @ 2.5" AT THE MAF!!! on top of that, the maf cannot be on a curve or right next to a sharp bend. It also has to be a good ways from the filter.

dude, how much did you spend at autozone? probabaly almost as much as an intake costs. On top of that, order it and send the CAI to your buddies house
- DUH! -

NOW, you have to figure out how to get around the ways of "dad" so you can mod the car - welcome to the club (same situation here). FIGURE IT OUT, pm me for ways to get around dad lol :lol:

·
Registered
177 Posts
do u make the payments on the car, if so do like i did and do what you want anyway cause you're paying for it and if you [email protected]#k up then you still have to pay for it. B a man and stand up to your dad...after that....get a real intake because you know its tuned to work best on our cars and you done have to worry about any mishaps of a DIY cause they spend thousands of hour testing these things.

Out of curiousity, how much did it cost you to build your own intake?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
[quote author=red_genisis link=topic=71473.msg1258330#msg1258330 date=1173458941]
do u make the payments on the car, if so do like i did and do what you want anyway cause you're paying for it and if you [email protected]#k up then you still have to pay for it. B a man and stand up to your dad...after that....get a real intake because you know its tuned to work best on our cars and you done have to worry about any mishaps of a DIY cause they spend thousands of hour testing these things.

Out of curiousity, how much did it cost you to build your own intake?
[/quote]

as stated above, they spends HOURS developng a most power developing intake. You intake(no offesnse) might make like .5 or 1 HP. The only benefit to this would be the cool new power "noises". So just take offf the intake resonator and throw in the K&N to get more power with the same nice growl. I dont have the K&N, just the resonator, worth it just for the growl. I made the autozone CAI also, but with the CELs, it will eventually lead to LIMP MODE which you will NOT LIKE. Remember, hundreds of hours of developments and dynos. Untill autozone will provide that for me to test on, NAME BRAND CAI here I come! :lol:

·
Registered
177 Posts
thats advice from someone who did the same thing as you (rander00), so knows exactly waht you're going through, do yourself a favor and take the advice

·
Registered
781 Posts
How old are you to be taking crap from your dad? Aren't you the one paying for the vehicle? If you aren't then you're too spoiled to be driving something anyways. Where's the sense of EARNING something in this world anymore?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
personally I am 17. I pay for the car, but through BANK OF DAD! :? thats where the moderation of mods comes into play. he wants paid off before the car gets touched. But yhe leaned up a bit whenI started developing products for the 3.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
you run the risk of causing more harm with a DIY part than you do an aftermarket part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cel is gone. the coupler came with this this piece inside of it that when placed inside the tube made it a 2.5 inch opening. i put that in front of the maf so it is now 2.5 in front of the maf. it is not near a sharp curve or the filter. so no more cel. and since i had most of the parts from my old car it only cost me 25 bucks. the car is paid off. i dont need to "be a man" and stand up to my dad considering he's the one who paid it off. the car works fine no cel, sounds good, and drives well. I plan on getting a "real" one in the future but im paying for an engagement ring and saving for a house and going to college. so thaty will have to wait until later. Thanks for all the advice and opinions :)

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
that is some good plans.

dont listen to these guy's advice all the time.

if you made 1 horsepower with 25 dollars. its better than 3-5 for 200 dollars.

Hope you do good with your fiance and new house and college! :D

But yeah, if your dad paid it off, i wouldnt take the car for granted and do whatever you want.

My parents paid like 10 grand on my car. Before I add anything to it, I ask them.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I revert to my previous statement. Where's the sense of EARNING anything anymore? IMHO you can't EARN a car or learn the responsibility of paying for a car if it gets done for you. If you can't afford to pay for a new car then you shouldn't buy a new car. Having someone else pay your car off for you (parents or not) is the lazy man's way out of responsibility. That's a major problem in today's society. A lazy society leads to more ignorant people, lower work ethics, and lower quality work. The only way all that can end up is with an even more messed up society. Then the chain continues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually ,Mazda3Prick, im not spoiled. I have this car because of the death benifits (if you can call them that) of losing a member of the Air Force. So because my brother died last year and he was in the AF my family was givin alot of money from the gov't. This car was my gift from that money. I'm not taking shit from my father. He just doesnt want me mess up my car. I am actually far from lazy and if you would open your ignorant eyes you would see that i have a job and that i am saving for my future. ya know like a house and future children. I guess that makes me an immature kid doesnt it? Since you just insulted me and my family how about you think before you open your f-ing mouth. God forbid I try something new instead of doing what hundreds of others do. fuck you mazda3pride.

since you say you are active navy duty maybe you'll understand that.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
[quote author=Mazda3Pride link=topic=71473.msg1259695#msg1259695 date=1173531446]
I revert to my previous statement. Where's the sense of EARNING anything anymore? IMHO you can't EARN a car or learn the responsibility of paying for a car if it gets done for you. If you can't afford to pay for a new car then you shouldn't buy a new car. Having someone else pay your car off for you (parents or not) is the lazy man's way out of responsibility. That's a major problem in today's society. A lazy society leads to more ignorant people, lower work ethics, and lower quality work. The only way all that can end up is with an even more messed up society. Then the chain continues.
[/quote]

i agree with you however, you need to ask about stuff before you go an open your mouth. i am in the navy because i could not afford to go to college. in fact, the navy is the only reason i can afford this car! anyways, i know exactly what you are saying though... i grew up aroud kids that given a brand new BMW or benz or the like for their 16th b-day, just because their friends got one and these kids parents are soo showwy, so they dont want to be out done by the neighbors. that is where i agree with you.

i dissagree entirely when it comes to how rander00 got his 3. whether you think so or not, he earned that car. his brother died serving our country like you and i are doing right now. i thought that in this day and age you would have given atleast some thought or maybe asked a question or two before you say something like that. you just cant assume that because he didnt pay for the car that he shouldn't have it. when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U an ME.

to rander00
i am sorry to hear about your brother. where do you live anyways? like i said, you can always have parts shipped to a friends house and do the work there. or you can buy it from your mazda dealer (if they carry mazdaspeed products) because everything that they sell (mazdausa.com) wont necesarily void your warenty! thats what i am doing. mazdaspeed intake and exhaust! cant wait for it. yeah it costs a little more but hey, i am willing to pay a little to keep my warrenty. 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts