Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been searching all over the internet and car forums but i cant find any directions on how to install a boot and aftermarket knob for auto transmission. Any help would be great. Im just scared that i might mess up majorly if i do trial and error

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
the knob? u just unscrew it. :) as for the boot, i dont know.

·
Registered
273 Posts
usually to make part cheaper they will make the center part the same as auto and 5 speed,
so if you find a way to take up the part that goes around the shift part

buy a shift boot and it should have the mounts on the underside of the edge and then just slide it over and put the knob on

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Jebus said:
usually to make part cheaper they will make the center part the same as auto and 5 speed,
so if you find a way to take up the part that goes around the shift part

buy a shift boot and it should have the mounts on the underside of the edge and then just slide it over and put the knob on
Agreed. Unscrew the knob. Then open your arm console, you'll see that all the plastic center pieces go from the arm console to the dash. So pull on the first piece which start at the top of the open arm console. Then it's just go pieces by pieces. You will then be able to see how to remove the automatic zig zag shifting piece (you can't install a shift boot if you want to keep it).

·
Registered
67 Posts
you could throw a boot on it, but I don't know about the shift knob part. How do you intend to shift without the shift selector button that is on the auto's shift knob?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
tehre isnt a shift selector you just pull itdown...

·
Registered
169 Posts
How bout you just take the car back and get a 5-speed. It comes with the knob and boot installed already! Plus you get to drive a 5-speed, which as we know, is infinitely better than an auto.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Jizoshula said:
How bout you just take the car back and get a 5-speed. It comes with the knob and boot installed already! Plus you get to drive a 5-speed, which as we know, is infinitely better than an auto.
or you could just tell mazda and every other car company to stop making automatics
there are reasons people buy automatics

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jizoshula said:
Because they only have one arm and/or one leg?
Well, there's also severe arthritis. Hope you never have to deal with it, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Jizoshula said:
Because they only have one arm and/or one leg?
No.. becoz we can use the other arm for something else.. while you're too busy shifting.

I hope you never have to buy an automatic car in the future.. even when you get old.. coz i don't want your words to happen on yourself.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Personally, living in downtown Toronto (4 blocks from CN Tower/Skydome) I could never see myself driving a manual. I can't even use the activematic for more than 10 mins without getting frustrated with all the shifting.

Its soooo much easier just being able to press the gas and go. Having a manual is cooler though, just not practical in my situation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Driving a manual in heavy traffic is 2nd nature once you get used to it.. it's perfectly practical. Learning to drive one in heavy traffic is frustrating though. I think automatics are maddening devices and I hope I never need to resort to owning a small car with one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
beaverboy said:
Driving a manual in heavy traffic is 2nd nature once you get used to it.. it's perfectly practical. Learning to drive one in heavy traffic is frustrating though. I think automatics are maddening devices and I hope I never need to resort to owning a small car with one.
After driving manual for 11 years in Vancouver traffic, I have learned to appreciate an automatic. Plus it makes it easier to hold my Slurpy while driving :p A few years ago, you couldn't have forced me to buy an automatic. Now I wouldnt even consider a manual...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh, we got some touchy people here today. Physical deformities are the only reason I can think of to drive an automatic, hence my lack or arm and/or leg comment. Yeah, it's more "work" for a manual, but it's so worth it. Let's see, costs less on purchase and gas, more control of the car, makes you concentrate on what you're doing a little more (it's driving, you don't need to be doing other things), and drinking a slurpy is really no problem. It's not like you're shifting every second you're on the road. Like someone else said, it becomes second nature.

·
Registered
519 Posts
defrew, did you manage to install the boot for your auto tranny?

care to post pics of how it looks now? quite taken with how the boot and auto tranny look for the mercS and bmw7.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
so has any tried this shift boot on an auto thing?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts