Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I am a college sophomore currently pursuing dual undergraduate degrees in International Business and Hispanic Studies. I live in the southeastern United States. There are no manufacturing plants or offices near where I live and grew up. All my life, however, I have been captivated by the automobile. When it was time for me to get a car of my own, I picked the closest thing to a sports car I could get back in 2004. That car is an exhilarating Mazda3 I still get chills in every time I'm behind the wheel. The car made me fall deeply in love with the automotive industry. So much so that I realize now it is my passion. Each day I get back to my dorm room after class, the first thing I do is check Autoweek, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Edmunds' Inside Line, and auto blogs. I am obsessed. I want to work for a major auto manufacturer. I may even want to pursue my own car company. But, I need help. I am destined for law school upon my graduation in two years. I feel like there are steps I should be taking to pursue my automotive dreams. But, my geographic area confines me. There is no one around here that works for an auto company. No one that knows anyone that works for an auto company. My university doesn't even offer any kind of automotive design or mechanical engineering. I feel trapped in a world I must break free of. Is there anyone out there on this forum that can give me some guidance? I am young but I don't want to make too many mistakes and suddenly find myself in a cubicle working for some firm I could care less about. I have applied for internships and sent emails and resumes to the big manufacturers. But, months and months have passed and I have received little correspondence back. Can someone out there please give me some advice? Thank you!

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
what exactly you wanna do in the company?
Design the car right?

I wanted to do this also~~

but 2 guys in a video killed my dream pretty much.

Id like to know some insight on this as well!

Maybe ill work in the CEO/executive part of the company. :D

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
haha...
like. (DONT LET THIS RUIN YOUR DREAM!)

two guys went to college to design cars in this TV thing, and like ended up working for Kia. They said some ppl went to college to do this but it was hard to find a job. Only a certain amount of companies to hire you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my dream is FAR from ruined. I've got some big ideas. I just need a direction. The path to creating my own company is VERY LONG. But, I'm serious about it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
[quote author=jaymeister link=topic=70400.msg1230646#msg1230646 date=1172386057]
The path to creating my own company is VERY LONG.[/quote]

a new car company/manufacturer? that WOULD be interesting to see.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
[quote author=kspec link=topic=70400.msg1230867#msg1230867 date=1172414647]
yeah. look at scion. brand new and the guy who led it was like a graphics designer i think.
[/quote]

Scion is made by Toyota. I'm not sure of the history of the company but it seems to be similar to how GM started Saturn.

As for the topic. jaymeister, in what capacity do you want to work for an automobile company? If you're obsessed with the industry you should at least have some idea of what it is that you want to do once you get there. If you're pursuing law, you could get in that way. However, manufacturers probably hire law firms to take care of their legal matters. If you want to design cars (as in the exteriors) there are schools that offer degrees for that exactly or you can take an Industrial design degree at any university. If you want to design components on cars, then you should be pursuing an engineering degree. A mech eng degree will see you design mechanical components on cars or be part of a test team. An electrical eng degree will see you design and/or test electrical systems, an environmental engineering degree will see you design and/or test emission control devices, and so on and so forth.

If you want a fast tracked approach then you should definitely consider pursuing an automobile engineering degree from europe (Germany would be ideal). Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche and VW hire many engineers straight out of school. The engineering degrees in europe tend to be very practical based, whereas North American universities are very theoretical in nature. If you've had no experience, major manufacturers tend to be wary of hiring fresh graduates. However, certain schools in North America have very close collaboration with universities and tend to hire majority of their employees right out of these schools. University of Windsor here in Ontario, Canada enjoys such a relationship with the auto industry and has a great mech eng program. If moving to Europe is financially not possible, a Canadian school is a good option. The two most important things are that you should have a very good idea of how you want to contribute to the auto industry (i.e. in what capacity) and that you should be willing to relocate to pursue an education that will get you there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
its a bad idea. just go to law school.

here in michigan where the big "3" are people are losing there jobs all the time. michigan also has the highest home forclosure rate in the u.s.

my wife just quit working for visteon (supplier). she worked there for 3 years. when she started there were 15 people in her department when she quit,last week, it was her and 1 other person.

the only places that are hiring are the factorys. they are hiring people to fill the spots where guys took buy outs but, that is just until they close the plant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I have in mind is nothing like what the "Big 3" have done or plan to do. My dream is to start my own car company with the small circle of supporters and knowledge I have. However, if that's not possible--which it is, then I would at least like to do something in the industry. To play it safe, however, I am pursuing the law degree 1) to appease the parents and 2) pursue some sort of arbitration position for a big automaker. Part of me wants to design cars, though. I have all these scribbled drawings. Some of which aren't half bad from those I've shown. But, no one down here knows boo about car design. I need professional opinions and guidance. Does anyone know someone connected to the industry I could talk to? The other part of me wants to somehow contribute to the industry on a purely business level. (like starting my own company, or be an executive for one of the big automakers). This summer, I will be training to be an executive for the second largest retailer in the nation. I have always worked for this one company. But, it's not where my heart lies. I mean, gosh, I'm reading this and it's all chaotic. I need feedback from someone within the industry. I just don't know anyone. Do any of you? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
if you want to design cars, then industrial design is your best bet as previously mentioned. I'm sure auto companies would like to see a portfolio before hiring someone to design their cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts