Mazda3 Forums banner

Auto "flaring" after motor oil change

1K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  fdsfdsgfdf 
#1 ·
Did nothing but changed the oil and filter. Took it for a test drive and the auto gearbox is playing up!. did not touch the auto or any lines. The problem is its now slow to go into gear and change gear. The engine flares or revs between gear changes especially when accelerating briskly.
Is there a breather hose that runs from the auto to the cam cover that might have got some oil in it when I added oil, perhaps to fast?

#4 ·
So you very likely wiped the ECUs trained data. Probably before you have done that the car was in better condition, now it might have dirty throttle body and all the things it learned to compensate for, now it's wiped. Did by any chance stopped working the passanger power window when it's controlled from the driver side? That could get wiped as well and it needs to be trained separetly.

I will check my Mazda manual so will tell you exactly what you have to do, if I remember it's very easy, just it takes time (like 1h).

#5 ·
I will check my Mazda manual so will tell you exactly what you have to do, if I remember it's very easy, just it takes time (like 1h).
For the window:
1. Ignition ON
2. Select all windows and open all windows with the switch
3. Select each seat/window separately
4. Close the window and KEEP holding the close button for another 2 seconds after the window was closed
5. Repeat from step 3 until all windows/seats are configured

For the ECU:
I can't find it in the manual, but in essence it is that you have to let the car re-learn the conditions/degradation of its components. Maybe before you did the disconnect it was for shorter period of the time and it didn't wiped, or the car was in better condition so the difference was not that big.
1. Turn all electrical things off, no blower, no A/C, no radio, no lights.
2. Find safe and level place, hand brake on
3. Turn the car on, let it run for 20min - 30mins at idle, do NOT touch anything.
4. Then turn high beams, A/C, full cooling, max speed of cooling, radio and all electrical appliances (fog lights, everything you have which could increase the load on alternator and the engine)
5. Let it idle for another 20- 30mins, do NOT touch anything
6. Go for a drive, the problems should be gone or be better.

I know it sounds stupid, but id does work, if you do not want to do it I think the car will learn it anyway eventually as you are using it.

#9 ·
Ok, I figured it out. Stupid son drained the transmission fluid instead of the motor oil. Motor oil was very low so didn't notice that puting 4l of new oil in only overfilled it slightly! When I asked him to drain a little motor oil out, as it was overfilled, he again tried to drain the transmition flued and was unable to as it was already empty!
Refilled the trannsmission and all is well! Just have to figure out to reset the motor and A/T warning lights!

#10 ·
I wouldn't even fit 4l into my 1.6l engine :D
Could be worse, so good you detected it before making permanent damage.
On mine resetting was something in the lines of disconnecting better and holding brake for a minute or something like that. Now I have ODB2 scanner so I got lazy :) and a 10$ BT dongle was wort every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.