Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
868 Posts
Not from my experience. My family's Caravan has it....and it's actually really bad if you combine it with tinted windows + auto dimming rearview mirror. You can't see anything!

The only reason why I'd get that mirror, is because of the compass and Homelink, not because of the auto dimming feature.

·
Registered
396 Posts
this option just sounds more of an annoyance than a benefit

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Since I'm tinting the windows I don't usually get blinded by cars driving behind me. Also, over 90+% of my driving is done in places I know (Niagara Falls to Montreal on the 401). I also carry a map with me at all times. Paying $300+ for this mirror seems pointless.

I wanna hear though why it's so great and why I should blow that much money on it from the die-hard fans.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I have tinted windows and I like the autodim feature b/c when some asshole in a big ass truck comes up behind me with his high beams on-voila! the mirror automatically takes care of the bright lights (too bad it doesn't shoot em out). It helps big time with HID's too-which I also hate. The homelink is really cool b/c I can go over to my parents house and open their garage door without getting out of my car-now I need a garage. Mine doesn't display a temperature though-the radio display does.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate when trucks and SUV's leave their lights on in the drive thru b/c they shine right in my eyes. It pisses me off.

·
Registered
168 Posts
dinu01 said:
Since I'm tinting the windows I don't usually get blinded by cars driving behind me. Also, over 90+% of my driving is done in places I know (Niagara Falls to Montreal on the 401). I also carry a map with me at all times. Paying $300+ for this mirror seems pointless.

I wanna hear though why it's so great and why I should blow that much money on it from the die-hard fans.
I agree completely with some the posters on this site about the multi-functional mirror. I'm debating if I should spend the money on this device...and the conclusion is yes. Here are my reasons:

1. AUTO-DIMMING: As stated by some, when SUVs or big trucks are behind you the mirror kicks in and adjusts accordingly. This also pertains to some vehicles with modified halogen bulbs that doesn't have a direct beam and shines everywhere, including Xenon HIDs, the mirror works wonders. Tint is another good option, but I've had tint many times before in the past and it serves a good purpose, but sometimes not. I have a problem with the drastic difference in darkness that tint creates when I don't want it to. For say, when my eyes are focusing on what's in front of me (no tint), and when I need to look to the rear or side windows (with tint) for other obstacles...it throws off my perception...almost like a blind spot. Also, tint with the higher grade metallic film for the Mazda 3 Hatchback is estimated at $220. I can get this mirror for $244 w/out install.

2. TEMPERATURE: This feature is more of a novelty...but cool in any case.

3. COMPASS: I'm pretty good at figuring out which direction I'm heading, but when I'm visiting cities like San Francisco with millions of street lights and turns...yada yada yada, it can become quite confusing to know which direction you are heading in.

4. HOMELINK: I've got this big clunker of a remote for my house and my mom's hanging on my visor. I hate it...too busy and creates a less functional visor when in use. Everytime I go to use the visor, one of those remotes fall or obstructs my view... :x . It's nice to have this feature integrated into the mirror without losing functionality with the visor.

CONCLUSION:

I think its a nice addition to the car and there are features that for some...it does serve a good purpose. On a side note, I've never had any of these features before, and I was told by friends that I wouldn't miss it since I never had it...so save your money. But that's like saying: "You have a 486 66Mhz computer that works fine...don't fix it if its not broken"...wrong!

Just my .02 cents worth :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
overkast said:
Answer to this problem - roll down the freakin' window!

:huh:

·
Registered
168 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
overkast said:

Well, after a nice long discussion with the dealer...the mirror will cost about $500.

Mirror = $244.00
Labor = $240.00 (2.5 - 3 hours @ $80/hr.)

Too expensive at this point...maybe at a later time when money is not an issue.

Spencer

·
Registered
773 Posts
CSweeney, your radio display also displays the temp? If so, this is good news for those of us who hate the blank section on the right.

·
Registered
773 Posts
But wouldn't the temperature module from the Mazda 6 then be possible to install into the 3, at least to display external temperature?

·
Registered
171 Posts
if it's possible to wire the auto dim mirror to output the outside temp, wouldn't it also be possible to re-route that sensor to the instrument panel display to read the temp as well?

·
Registered
251 Posts
overkast said:
DJ Spencer said:
overkast said:

Well, after a nice long discussion with the dealer...the mirror will cost about $500.

Mirror = $244.00
Labor = $240.00 (2.5 - 3 hours @ $80/hr.)

Too expensive at this point...maybe at a later time when money is not an issue.

Spencer
I got it installed and it cost a little more than 400. They took like two days to install it (it was the first one that they installed). Its a great mirror. I would strongly recommend it, but 400 is a lot for a mirror.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
From what I've read in this thread, a lot of freakin' time.

I'm sure that if you were willing to route the sensor somewhere else, you might save some of that time, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I got mine installed for $325 at the dealership without the Homelink (cause I wouldn't use it). I am definately a night driver so this was a must for me. When people say they make up errands so they have an excuse to drive their car, I don't. I just get in my car and drive at night when there is a lot less traffic on the road just to enjoy driving.

The Mirror works great and it is a feature I will get from now on in all of my cars.

The temperature gauge is good around here because sometimes you need to see the temp to make sure the rain coming down isn't freezing when it gets to the ground.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just finished installing the Auto-Dimming/Temp/Compass mirror in my HB.

I purchased it from Mazdastuff.com for $194 + $7.50 shipping. Arrived here in Northern Calif. in four days from Texas.

Installation took me about 3 hours and it was not too difficult. Probably hardest part was removing the trim pieces (I was a little concerned I would damage some plastic part).

The instructions that come with the mirror are easy to follow and they provide everything you need including tie wraps (you need to supply the tools but all that is necessary is a 10mm combination wrench or socket, a small screwdriver, and some pliers.

So if you want an auto-dimming mirror and have some basic mechanical skills, I would recommend installing it yourself and save $$$$$.

But it all came together OK and I am very satisfied with the results.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts